Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's funny! TST started putting that in their installation manual as well after myself and others experienced the seizing issue. When I bought mine from TST back in 2009 (I think) the directions were very clear on not using any thread lubricant.

My TST unit has been sitting on a shelf in my garage ever since. Dan was nice enough to replace the sensors that I had to cut off my stems but the cost to dismount the six 22.5 wheels to have the stems replaced was on me.

Recently Mike called and made me a generous offer to replace my entire unit for a new one after all these years. After I stopped laughing, I told him that the unit I own works fine sitting on the shelf where it will stay.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
The EEZ accuracy specs are +/- 1.5PSI, +/- 5 degrees F. I've found them to be in that range when compared to my digital air gauge. Also for what it's worth, they don't seem to recommend the flow through sensors. The standard sensors are the newer design with the 2 year battery life and are quite small compared to the flow through type.
I wish I could get that much accuracy out of the TSTs. I verified that my digital gauge was accurate, or at least it read the same pressure as on my truck's display. I then figured the gauge could still be reading wrong at higher pressures so I went and bought another one. Wasted money because they both read the same. I have a discrepancy of almost 10 psi on one of the TSTs. I would be happy with +/- 2 psi on the others. I have one that works part time, and when the others start acting up I'm tossing the system. At least for now I set the alarms' margins at max and can used the sensors to detect a large leak. What really bites is that I can't trust the sensors and I like to check pressures before each trip. That means having to remove all six sensors to manually check the pressures and at the same time having to fill them up a bit since you lose air during removal/install. As you can see, not a happy customer.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
That's funny! TST started putting that in their installation manual as well after myself and others experienced the seizing issue. When I bought mine from TST back in 2009 (I think) the directions were very clear on not using any thread lubricant.

My TST unit has been sitting on a shelf in my garage ever since. Dan was nice enough to replace the sensors that I had to cut off my stems but the cost to dismount the six 22.5 wheels to have the stems replaced was on me.

Recently Mike called and made me a generous offer to replace my entire unit for a new one after all these years. After I stopped laughing, I told him that the unit I own works fine sitting on the shelf where it will stay.
Thanks for posting about the seizing. Now I'm going to have to remove all of them again to apply anti-seize compound...which will probably give me even more erroneous readings.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The $289.00 price I posted above was for a 6 sensor package with flow through sensors off of their web site
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post

Don
We're the sensors that seized brass or some other metal?u My EEZ sensors are brass but I did not use any thread lubricant. So far they are not showing any signs of seizing. Perhaps I should do the thread lubricant treatment.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They were made of what I call in my business "Pot Metal". It's a low grade of aluminum Zinc alloy casting. It's made to look like stainless steel but I just recently cut the last two off of my tow dolly valve stems and they sure aren't Stainless or Brass. They should include a hacksaw blade in the kit and label it "Sensor Removal Tool".
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #35

I bought a TST system at a rally in Indiana about three years ago. I chose the version that has sensors with field-replaceable batteries. I found the o-rings a problem to deal with. Too much torque deforms them and makes it a challenge to peel them off of the valve stem. Too little left me worrying that the sensor might unseat and leak. Getting the tire pressure precisely right and balanced made for multiple on and off cycles; it was a big bother. I had to keep spare o-rings on hand to replace the ones damaged in the process.

My sensors worked most of the time, but certainly not all of the time. I had to fuss with them from time to time to get all six to read. It seemed to be related to the seating force of the sensor as described above. The sensor had to be torqued enough to reliably open the tires' Schrader valve cores. This was further complicated by the duallies having flexible extensions installed to get the sensors out where they were accessible. If a tire stopped reporting en route, caution would dictate that I pull off the road immediately to be sure that I didn't have a loss of pressure. I never actually found a flat, so I lost confidence in the system's indication.

Most of all, I was unnerved by a failure mode on one of my sensors. On one sensor, the internal brass threaded boss came adrift from the plastic housing that holds the sensor and battery. This is a failure mode that will leave you with a perfectly good tire that is nonetheless flat. Not good.

They came off and have been on the shelf since then. I'm back to the old school method of checking pressures for all tires before departing in the morning and reading temps with a IR thermometer at fuel stops. I very much like the factory TPMS on my four-wheeled cars, but feel the add on kits are inconvenient and introduce an additional failure point.

I did install Borg hard stems on the duals. It makes it very easy to quickly gage each tire. My walk around tire check takes perhaps two minutes and I don't dread it like I used to when one or more sensors weren't checking in after the morning ritual of powering up the TST monitor.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I DID have a blow out last Thanksgiving, long after I had discontinued use of the TST. An inner dual blew. I had checked the tires six hours earlier and all were ok; a post failure inspection showed no indication of a puncture, just a blown out corner of the sidewall near the tread. Would the TST have given me early warning and saved the tire? Maybe, but of course nobody knows.
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about the blow out. I doubt any TPMS can warn you about a blow out but rather simply make you aware that the pressure is dropping. You might want to check you tires model to see if it's on a recall list.

I'm with you on this for the time being. I try to stay religious about keeping an eye on the condition of my tires. I installed the Dual Dynamics Crossfire for the pressure balance of the duals as well as a convenient way to pressure up both tires at the same time to the same pressure.

This EEZRV system looks promising and cost effective but the Pressure Pro has been around for a long time.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #37

I agree with your comments. The tires were "aged out" (seven years) and had 35,000 miles. I was planning replacement of all six after the trip was over; and I did so.

I was very lucky that the blowout caused no collateral damage. I've heard horror stories of body damage, dump tanks, etc. No such issue for me. The MH handled perfectly normally. It sounded like a 12 ga shotgun was fired back in the bedroom, though!
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
For what it is worth I have the EEZ system and love it. The tire pressure readings are within 1-2 psi of my professional tire gauge. It reads quickly. Handles temp and pressure readings. So easy to add or drop the toad. The monitor is easy to read and can be mounted in several ways. I have mine hardwired but it comes with a suction cup mount also. Batteries are replaceable. Three trips so far and not one dropped monitor. Take a hard look at it and I think you will like it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #39
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's get away from attacking one another and get back to posting in a collegial manner.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Okay. I am ALWAYS interested in better ideas to deal with those bugs on the font of my rig. And, as usual, I've learned something new today on IRV 2.

The $64,000 question I have for each of you is: what do these products ( and peroxide/ water method) do to the wax I have so laboriously applied to the front cap?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Ops.....wrong thread...sorry
Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #42

I had the TST original system (4) on my trailer--worked very well and upsized to ten total for the truck also. Had lots of problems, and communications with TST weren't the best, altho they always sent what I thought I needed without charge. But, got tired of inconsistent reporting of all tires. Finally got thru to Mike Benson and he got all my problems solved. System is working fine now. But, took almost 3 years back and forth (partly my fault) to get it all worked out. A lot of my troubles originated from the difficulty of placing the sensors on my 450--valve stems too close to wheel holes. All is well now with proper extensions.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure