Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Viair 400P-RV and 450P comparison

Hello everyone,

I finally gave in to find an easy solution to topping off my tires without turning on the engine. I have been reading good reviews about the viair 12 volt portable compressors and wanted to give them a try. The one problem was, I could not decide which of these two models would work best so I purchased both to test and would return the one that does not perform best.

Here are the specs for the two models:

Model 400 P-RV Automatic-
Duty cylce = 33% (can run for 10 minutes then must rest for 30 minutes)
CFM = 2.54 CFM
Advantage = greater CFM
Disadvantage = shorter duty cylce
Max amp draw = 30 amps

Model 450 P Automatic-
Duty cycle = 100% (can run continuously without stopping)
CFM = 1.66 CFM
Advantage = 100% duty cyle
Disadvantage = Lower CFM
Max Amp draw = 20 amps

(note on amp draw and compressors: the more efficient the compressor is the lower the amp draw is, so the lower number here is better than a higher number)

To be clear, I will never use this compressor to fill a flat RV tire, only to top them off with 5 to 10 psi. I needed something to reach 120 psi without struggling. My main concern and question with the 450P was would it take a ridiculous time period to top off a tire compared to the 400P RV.

Method:

I purged one tire to 117 psi and clocked the time to fill this tire to 122 psi. The ambient temperature was 75 degrees Fahrenheit

The 400 P-RV took 1 minute, 35 seconds.
The 450P took 1 minute, 55 seconds.

As it turned out the difference in time was not too significant. My choice was to keep the 450P in order to have the 100% duty cycle and will be sending back the 400P-RV.

I was particularly curious about the performance of these two models when I first watched a video recommending the 400P-RV from the RV GEEKS. I wonder if they ever tested the 450P model.

I hope this information is helpful to some and look forward to hearing your input and opinions on this subject.

Stuart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #2

Nice write up Stuart. I bought the 450 as well
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Which Sattelite System?

I'm in the process of ordering a Newmar Ventana LE 3812, this is my first rv, can anyone give me their experience on having a stationary system as oppose to an in motion system?
USCGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGIS View Post
I'm in the process of ordering a Newmar Ventana LE 3812, this is my first rv, can anyone give me their experience on having a stationary system as oppose to an in motion system?
Welcome and congratulations USCGIS! We were discussing air compressors are you asking about satellite antennas?

Steve
Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Yes I was, can you please tell me where I should post my question?
USCGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #6

Perhaps one of our good moderators will move USCGIS post to the technology forum. Or you can start a new thread there or her in the Newmar forum.
I am sure you will get best advice in either.

Enjoy your new coach

Tags
comparison