Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Viair 450P RV compressor

I purchased the Viair 450P RV compressor, after reading all the reviews on the board. I have a couple of questions for those who have purchased the Viari compressor. If your RV had an onboard air compressor have you use your old air hoses with the Viair? If so how did it work compared to the hose that came with the Viair? I read on another board that if you are hooked up to shore power you do not have to start your engine to use the chassis batteries to use the compressor. Thanks for any and all post.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Had one for about a month. Engine or shore power are needed to get it to run at a sufficient speed. However, the output was so low it took too long to air up the large RV tires and mine burned out after only a few uses. Perhaps I had a defective unit, but my guess is it's not made to run for 30 min. which is what it takes to go from 100 to 110psi with this unit.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Had one for about a month. Engine or shore power are needed to get it to run at a sufficient speed. However, the output was so low it took too long to air up the large RV tires and mine burned out after only a few uses. Perhaps I had a defective unit, but my guess is it's not made to run for 30 min. which is what it takes to go from 100 to 110psi with this unit.
There are different models. Some only have a 50% duty cycle. The higher priced ones have a higher PSI Rating AND a 100% duty cycle, meaning it can run up to 40 min before having to cool down.

Running on shore power is equivalent to running the engine as far as 12V power supply is concerned.

VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
There are different models. Some only have a 50% duty cycle. The higher priced ones have a higher PSI Rating AND a 100% duty cycle, meaning it can run up to 40 min before having to cool down.

Running on shore power is equivalent to running the engine as far as 12V power supply is concerned.

VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043)
TexasTom I sure hope that I don't same experience with mine that you had , all the reviews that I was able to find were mostly positive that is why I went with the 450P.

Dennis thanks for the info running shore power. The main reason I purchased the compressor was to keep from running the engine at the campground and disturbing the other campers.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't know there were different models. I probably had a version not suitable for heavy duty use because I only paid about $100.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 400P and I think it's one of the best small compressors on the market....imho
I bought this to replace an inexpensive 110volt compressor that I burned out airing up my 22.5" tires going from 90lbs to 105lbs. It ran for almost an hour on one tire before it reached 105 lbs. I bought the Viair 400P and I used it on all 8 of my tires to bring them to the proper air pressures and finished the job in less than 15 minutes. Later the same week I needed to put air in my Jeep tires and connected the Viair to the Jeep battery without running the engine and I had no problem adding the air to those tires. Love this little compressor.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello, is there any significant difference between the VIAIR 450 Automatic and the
450 RV compressor?
We do have an onboard air system but I would like a backup system.
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Hello, is there any significant difference between the VIAIR 450 Automatic and the
450 RV compressor?
We do have an onboard air system but I would like a backup system.
Thanks.
This is off ViAirs web site:
450P-Automatic offers an automatic shut-off function in a larger portable compressor. This 100% duty cycle unit is capable of pressures up to 150 PSI and can be operated for up to 40 minutes at a time before needing to be rested. The 450P-Automatic comes with a close-ended gas station-style air gun for added convenience.

Portable compressors with automatic shutoff come into play when moving from tire to tire, and when checking tire pressure in the middle of a tire fill. A typical portable compressor must be turned off between tire fills, and anytime you want to check tire pressure. If you aren’t near the compressor, this can turn into running laps back and forth to the portable compressor to turn the unit on and off. Automatic portables do not work in this fashion and will save you time & effort to get tires inflated quickly.

450P-RV Automatic offers an automatic shut-off function in a larger portable compressor. This 100% duty cycle unit is capable of pressures up to 150 PSI and can be operated for up to 40 minutes at a time before needing to be rested. The 450P-RV Automatic comes with a close-ended gas station-style air gun for added convenience.

Portable compressors with automatic shutoff come into play when moving from tire to tire, and when checking tire pressure in the middle of a tire fill. A typical portable compressor must be turned off between tire fills, and anytime you want to check tire pressure. If you aren’t near the compressor, this can turn into running laps back and forth to the portable compressor to turn the unit on and off. Automatic portables do not work in this fashion and will save you time & effort to get tires inflated quickly.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

ViAir Heavy Duty OBA, for up to 35" Tires, 150 PSI / 2.30 CFM P/N 10005.
My plan is to install this unit in the bed of my truck. I also plan on adding Air Horns. I'm tired of people pulling out in front of me... It's like they have NO clue of how big RVs are.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I use it and love it.
Absolutely the best 12v compressor I've ever had.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 400. Worked exactly as promised, no problems getting 6 tires up to 100 lbs psi each. Plenty of hose and well thought out carrying case.
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor