Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
NXR

VIAIR reply about 400P versus 450P versus new "RVS" series air compressor differences

I've read a lot of articles on the 400P versus the 450P (duty cycle versus CFM) so I went to VIAIR's site. I saw they have a new RVS (RV Safe) series. So I asked them about the differences and got their permission to paste their reply into forum posts as long as I did not use the person's name:

For the differences between the 450P-RV and 450P-RVS...we had a large amount of feedback from the RV consumers about the 450P-RV, so we changed a couple things but not really that much. The bag is a different color and little more heavy duty. We added a 40", 90-degree twist-on chuck so people could stand while filling the tires instead of kneeling or bending over. We have tested the 450/400/89/300 RVS models on RV tires, and that’s another reason we came out with this line. It is only being sold to people who own an RV or towable. And won't ever be sold on Amazon.

(My question to them) "I looked at the 450P, liking the continuous duty, but the 400P puts out more CFM, so the higher fill rate of the 400P seemed like a good idea. What's your take on it?"

"My take on it is yes, the 400 puts out a higher CFM. But we rate our compressors for tire size. The 400P-RVS works great for tires up to 37" because the compressor can handle the volume of that size tire. But, if you were to use it on a 40" or 42" tall tire, you would most likely hit the duty cycle prior to getting the tire filled. That’s where the 450 comes in. It may be slightly slower, not as high of CFM, but it will fill a 42" tall tire to 130psi and not need a rest after.

The RVS models will not be sold to anyone trying to use them on their cars or trucks, only to people with a Class A, B, C RV or towable. That’s what this line is made for. We wanted to have a specific line for this market since no one else has RV-specific compressors that have been tested on the tires that the RV's have."

So the 400P would be good for my 22.5" tires but the key difference is that I might hit the duty cycle limit if I have to put air in all six of them. The RVS series is currently sold only by United RV and Prime Source but they're expanding that to other dealers. United RV has the 450P-RVS for $20 more than Amazon for the 450P-RV.

And VIAIR answered all of my emails within a few hours. That fellow just sold another compressor because of his good responsiveness.

FWIW,

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

Nice to hear for sure.
Thank you for posting.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
NXR

Slight typo. My tires are 235/80R 22.5G which are just under 37.3" tall so same difference.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

I bought the 450P-RV and think it works great. I pulled it out when at the NKK rally/Tampa RV Super show and soon had about 4 other class a coach owners over watching me use it and admiring it, each of which said they're going to buy one.
I have a digital air gauge (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I used to validate the one on the gun that comes in the kit. One thing I noticed while I was using it and while watching the other people use it on their coaches is that the gauge on the gun seems to be spot on at 100 psi and below but the guys that were pumping to 110 psi or higher, the gauge was off like 5 psi (don't remember if low or high). So have a good digital gauge to validate. One guy used his TPMS (TST) portable display to tell him how much air was in the tires (I thought that was a good idea). We compared the TST to my digital gauge and they were about +/- 1psi to each other.
Also for me, the carrying bag is too deep, takes up too much room in my small bays. I suggested that they attach the extra hose pouches with velcro where they currently attach and also add velco to the top of the bag so I could move and attach the pouches on top - that would save about 9 inches in depth - I see they didn't think that was a valid improvement for the new model. I do think the longer hose is a plus otherwise you're on your knees.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I've read a lot of articles on the 400P versus the 450P (duty cycle versus CFM) so I went to VIAIR's site. I saw they have a new RVS (RV Safe) series. So I asked them about the differences and got their permission to paste their reply into forum posts as long as I did not use the person's name:

For the differences between the 450P-RV and 450P-RVS...we had a large amount of feedback from the RV consumers about the 450P-RV, so we changed a couple things but not really that much. The bag is a different color and little more heavy duty. We added a 40", 90-degree twist-on chuck so people could stand while filling the tires instead of kneeling or bending over. We have tested the 450/400/89/300 RVS models on RV tires, and that’s another reason we came out with this line. It is only being sold to people who own an RV or towable. And won't ever be sold on Amazon.

(My question to them) "I looked at the 450P, liking the continuous duty, but the 400P puts out more CFM, so the higher fill rate of the 400P seemed like a good idea. What's your take on it?"

"My take on it is yes, the 400 puts out a higher CFM. But we rate our compressors for tire size. The 400P-RVS works great for tires up to 37" because the compressor can handle the volume of that size tire. But, if you were to use it on a 40" or 42" tall tire, you would most likely hit the duty cycle prior to getting the tire filled. That’s where the 450 comes in. It may be slightly slower, not as high of CFM, but it will fill a 42" tall tire to 130psi and not need a rest after.

The RVS models will not be sold to anyone trying to use them on their cars or trucks, only to people with a Class A, B, C RV or towable. That’s what this line is made for. We wanted to have a specific line for this market since no one else has RV-specific compressors that have been tested on the tires that the RV's have."

So the 400P would be good for my 22.5" tires but the key difference is that I might hit the duty cycle limit if I have to put air in all six of them. The RVS series is currently sold only by United RV and Prime Source but they're expanding that to other dealers. United RV has the 450P-RVS for $20 more than Amazon for the 450P-RV.

And VIAIR answered all of my emails within a few hours. That fellow just sold another compressor because of his good responsiveness.

FWIW,

Ray
Ray thanks for the post I have 400P Viair and at one time or another I had to put air in all the tires. I have 22.5 tires also, at one time my weight load required that psi for each tire was 110 psi. I haven't reach the duty cycle limit yet. I don't think you will reach the limit unless all your tires are very low.

Jim
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I talked with a Viair rep today. I have Goodyear G114 215/75R17.5 tires that measure about 31" in diameter. 125 psi cold. He told me the 400P RVS would work perfect for me, so I bought one along with the winterization kit.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

Viair 400P-RVS only for RVs???

If I purchase a 400P-RVS for my RV, would I also be able to use it on my cars?
LukeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM View Post
If I purchase a 400P-RVS for my RV, would I also be able to use it on my cars?
Yes. You just have to attach the wiring clamps to the car's battery, just like a set of jumper cables does.

I use my 450P-RVS for my pneumatic grease gun and I also bought Viar's optional winterizing kit. It has an adapter to fit your water connectors and a regulator to drop the pressure to about 30 PSI so you can blow your water lines out.

This past winter I used mine to help a fellow with a fifth wheel. His hitch adapter, whatever it's called, has a thing that looks like a tire inner tube and is used as a kind of shock absorber. I don't recall the pressure but it was well below my motorhome tire pressures. It aired that thing up in about 30 seconds. Fortunately that shock absorber thingy had a regular tire Schrader valve on it that the Viair adapter could screw on to.

Ray
Old 08-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had the 400P for about 3 years. My tires are 22.5's. Early on, I hit the duty cycle a couple of times when using it on the coach. It simply quit and then had to cool down for quite a while before it would start again - don't remember how long, just longer than I wanted. So, I figured that if I hit the tires with short bursts I should be OK. I try to use it no longer than 2 minutes continuously, then let it sit for about 15-20 seconds then start pumping again. Since I started using it this way, it has never quit for a cool down.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 08-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #10

I've had the 400p rv for a few years now without any issue and I love out. I'm glad I got the 400 over the 450 due to quicker fills. I've had flat tires and filled with no problem and never shut down. When the temperature outdoors change and my 4 fifth wheel tires are 20psi low each and my 6 duelly tires are 10 psi low each, i can fill them all continuously to specs with out any issue. I love my 400p rv
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

Many people use the Viair products but l saw this at Amazon....anyone use this or something like it? Do you like it?
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jime View Post
....anyone use this or something like it? Do you like it?
Hi Chris,

As a matter of fact, I do use something similar:

Name:   DeWalt Tire Inflator.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  21.2 KB

I own several DeWalt tools and have several of their 20v batteries that power the tire inflator which I purchased for about $100 without batteries or charger.

It's certainly NOT capable of inflating a tire from empty, but, I've found it adequate to add a few psi to a couple of tires with one fully charged battery. It's nice in that the hose screws onto the schraeder valve and the inflator stops at your preset inflation pressure. I like that it can operate off either the rechargeable 20v battery or a 12v power cord. I carry it in my toad.

There's no doubt that the Viair RV specific portable compressors are superior, still, I've found my DeWalt to be satisfactory for most needs.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Back in 2007 getting ready to hit the road FT I purchased a Vlair 400 for airing up my truck tires and the 5vr tires

Rear truck tires...when not towing/just out exploring I would drop pressure down to 45# (no weight in truck bed)
Then morning of travel day I would air them back up to 80#

5vr tires were run at 100 psi

Travel was weekly....

Worked like a champ...and if camping neighbors actually followed thru many Vlairs were purchased from watching me use it

7 yrs FT then we came off the road into a S&B
2021..still use it to air up dolly tires, wheel barrel tires, truck tires, Riding Mower tires......anything that needs air

14 yrs of usage and it works as well as the day I first used it

I'm a happy owner.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Chris,

As a matter of fact, I do use something similar:

Attachment 341206

I own several DeWalt tools and have several of their 20v batteries that power the tire inflator which I purchased for about $100 without batteries or charger.

It's certainly NOT capable of inflating a tire from empty, but, I've found it adequate to add a few psi to a couple of tires with one fully charged battery. It's nice in that the hose screws onto the schraeder valve and the inflator stops at your preset inflation pressure. I like that it can operate off either the rechargeable 20v battery or a 12v power cord. I carry it in my toad.

There's no doubt that the Viair RV specific portable compressors are superior, still, I've found my DeWalt to be satisfactory for most needs.

Take care,
Stu
Thanks Stu...I was just looking for another option other than the Viair. It's just so expensive. May have to bite the bullet and get one.

Tags
air, compressor, rvs