Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #15

Thanks Persistent, but what looks like a ground to the battery box is actually a floating spst battery switch. I should have marked it in the photo!
cottersay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #16

Did you go through the proper setup when you connected to these batteries? The 712 is not plug-and-play. You must set the proper parameters for the batteries or the readings are never going to be correct. The instructions are in the manual. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #17

Thanks chuckbear, but I set it up exactly as specified for BattleBorn lithium batteries.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottersay View Post
Thanks chuckbear, but I set it up exactly as specified for BattleBorn lithium batteries.
Then you might want to refresh those settings. Then make a call to Victron tech service. They are very helpful. Chuck
Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #19

If your SOC reading is dropping under charging over the course of a couple weeks or so even though you know the batts are full it may be that the "Efficiency" setting is at the factory setting of 95% which is for lead/acids. Victron advises setting it to 99% for Lifepo4's.
SV K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #20

Thanks SVK, but I have my Efficiency setting at 99%.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #21

chuckbear hit the nail on the head; all I needed was to "refresh" the BMV's settings -- a full factory reset. After the reset, I then entered all of the proper Lithium parameters, and so far so good.
Thanks chuckbear and company!
Old 06-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #22

Following

I've been following this thread very closely as I want to add a battery monitor to my class A.

I'm leaning towards the 712 as it seems to be the best performing one on the market. I was considering the smart shunt but the shorter wifi capability has me concerned as my batteries are under my metal enclosed entrance steps.

I'm electrically challenged so tackling the install is a bit concerning. It's great to know that I can reach out to folks like you if I run into problems.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakist View Post
I've been following this thread very closely as I want to add a battery monitor to my class A.

I'm leaning towards the 712 as it seems to be the best performing one on the market. I was considering the smart shunt but the shorter wifi capability has me concerned as my batteries are under my metal enclosed entrance steps.

I'm electrically challenged so tackling the install is a bit concerning. It's i great to know that I can reach out to folks like you if I run into problems.
The install on the 712 is pretty simple and it comes with instructions. FWIW, I think it's a great monitor and I've been happy with mine. The hardest part is reading the manual and setting the parameters, but its all covered in the manual. Good luck, and thank you for your service.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #24

We have had the Victron monitor on the RV for over 4 years and one on our boat for 15 years. Best investment we ever made. Chuck
Old 06-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #25

The battery monitor is an absolute must if you boondock, as you'll be surprised (more like shocked) at how quickly even Lithium's are depleted, leaving you with your pants down. (Like I was at 10,000 feet, just when you need to bring in your slideout, awning, and use the front jack to leave, but you discover that your batteries are dead and your generator won't run at that altitude.)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #26

Quote:
The battery monitor is an absolute must if you boondock, as you'll be surprised (more like shocked) at how quickly even Lithium's are depleted, leaving you with your pants down. (Like I was at 10,000 feet, just when you need to bring in your slideout, awning, and use the front jack to leave, but you discover that your batteries are dead and your generator won't run at that altitude.)
And adding insult to injury, your pants were down. I risk hijacking a thread, but the OP got it figured out. How did you fix this?

I love camping above 10,000 feet. Food tastes better and the thinner air is still so invigorating.
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #27

Yes, I even had a high-altitude jet kit in the generator's carburetor, but it wasn't high-altitudey enough (max 6000 feet). I have now ordered a higher altitude kit, but none of them are rated to go above 8000 feet, so we'll see...
Old 06-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Yes, I even had a high-altitude jet kit in the generator's carburetor, but it wasn't high-altitudey enough (max 6000 feet). I have now ordered a higher altitude kit, but none of them are rated to go above 8000 feet, so we'll see...
Sorry, I was vague with my question. How did you get your batteries charged enough to get off the mountain on that fateful day?
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor