Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2022, 06:00 AM   #1

Water filtration systems. Would like to drink from taps. (Blu Tech?)

We've used several different water filtration systems but would like to drink right from the taps. It would be so much more convenient and save space from having to use Berkey type systems (which I've seen some negatives on lately) inside the RV.
I'm looking at this new Blu Tech R3 water filtration system, but it's pricey. I'm not sure it's worth it, but if it does everything we'd like it to do, (like using water straight from taps) then it might be worth it.

Has anyone here tried this new system, or what have you been using that allows you to drink from the faucets?
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #2

We use a water softener along with 2 water filters. I can add a 3rd filter if we are in a high iron content area.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #3

We have always, since starting RVing in 2000, drunk water from the onboard tanks or cg water system. I don’t use a filter if filling tanks from home, but will use a standard whole house filter with carbon filters. I have run into one or two CG’s where the water was suspect and used the tank water I brought with. We do have a Brita water pitcher the wife likes to use.

I have seen some setups with three filters, a water softener, and more. Not for me.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used a home-brewed system for the past 9 plus years full-time. The filter housings (for whole house) are from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have a 5-micron sediment filter, 5-micron carbon block filter and an On-the-Go Double water softener. Depending on the water, we will recharge the softener every two to four weeks. The Filters typically are changed every 3 to 4 months. We have a washer/drier and a dishwasher. We have good water in the trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Dual-filter housing and water softener, since 2010.

rvwaterfilterstore.com
Old 10-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water filtration systems. Would like to drink from taps. (Blu Tech?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
We've used several different water filtration systems but would like to drink right from the taps. …..I'm looking at this new Blu Tech R3 water filtration system, but it's pricey…

Has anyone here tried this new system, or what have you been using that allows you to drink from the faucets?
The degree to which you feel it is necessary to filter and sanitize your water will depend on your personal preferences and in large part on the way you use your RV. Camping is one thing, fulltiming is another.
We have been fulltimers these past ten+ years, which means our water system is used constantly. I drink the tap water, Diane goes with bottled spring water. Every drop of water coming into our coach goes through a double canister rack, a 10 micron sediment followed by a 5 micron charcoal. In normal times I change the sediment monthly and the charcoal every other month.Attachment 379097
In recent summers we’ve been volunteering at a CoE park that has unusually high iron content. For this location I made up an additional external filter rack comprising two additional 10 micron sediment filters. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	770.2 KB
ID:	379098These are the first filters the water encounters, and I change them weekly.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #7

Unless it's coming from my house to fill the FWT, all water goes through a 5 micron sediment filter then a 0.2 micron absolute filter before going into the trailer (FWT fill or city inlet)

There are plenty of pre-built systems or you can build them yourself. Just remember there is a difference between absolute and nominal filter ratings for the final filters.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just use a giant canister single filter from the RV Water Filter Store. It's mostly just carbon bloc but does a great job of filtering. The water tastes great right from the tap. We don't drink from the tank.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #9

We use a .5 micron in-house cannister filter in the motorhome and no filter at our S&B house on city water. I very rarely drink bottled water and drink from the tap in the RV, our house, businesses and other people's houses.
I am not saying this is the best way to do it, that's just my perspective on drinking water and I feel that city water is fine for drinking. I grew up in the country with well water that was not filtered and never gave it much thought.
Our son and daughter spend lots of money on bottled water, and that's okay.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just buy a few filtered straws to drink with.

https://a.co/d/6mX2z1m
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
Community Moderator

We use a triple filter setup. We get the filters from here:
https://www.clearsourcerv.com/collec...cement-filters

It is expensive, but just changed our first set out after almost 6 months of use. Since we have installed these 3 filters in April, we have been in:
Palm Springs, Sedona Arizona, Las Vegas, Zion NP area, Nephi, Utah; Montpelier, Idaho: Deer Lodge, Mt., West Yellowstone, Glazier NP area, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Tenn., Virgina, South Carolina, and now in Mayport, Fl.

I am really glad we went with the triple filter setup.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Clear source ultra system. We’ve been using it for two seasons and have always drunk the water. We use a softener first then the clearsource. It’s a three stage system. Berkey specifically advise against using their systems with a water softener. So that’s something else to consider.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:52 PM   #13
NXR

How to live to age 94: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...bath-50-years/

Among the lore surrounding him it was claimed that he ate roadkill – preferring rotten porcupine meat – and drank five litres of water a day collected from puddles in a rusty pail.

Meanwhile we're triple-filtering our water and dying sooner.

Ray
Old 10-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #14

The filter cans are all pretty standard. So after the initial round of filters you can put in what you want. They are down to .1 micron now. I use a 1 micron before the softener, then there are 2 more in the coach. I use bottled water in the coffee maker and ice maker , it keeps from ever having to clean them. I add chlorine to my holding tank as I'm almost always on well water. The interior filters may or may not remove it. I don't know, I do use it to brush my teeth and in the fridge ice maker so it stays potable always.

Tags
ems, water