Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Water Softener Size

Looking into getting a water softener for the RV. From what I have been reading the 16,000 grain units seem like they might be too heavy to easily move around but wondering if an 8,000-grain unit would be too small. I haven't seen any softeners in person yet. We're on the road about three to four months out of the year.

Is there any brand that is highly recommended?
NHBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have the 1,000 grain Watts RV-PRO and have been happy with it.

Mainly bought it for using in Arizona where the water is very hard, but I also use it at home to wash cars, PU and MH. It softens the water enough to stop those annoying hard water spots.

Not too heavy, but I did make a handle to carry it around easier. Probably around 30 pounds full of water. lighter if you drain it, but be careful not to loose and of the resin.

Easy to re-generate. Just add 2 pounds of table salt in the top, let it sit for 1/2 hour then flush it using the attached small drain.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
I have the 1,000 grain Watts RV-PRO and have been happy with it.

Mainly bought it for using in Arizona where the water is very hard, but I also use it at home to wash cars, PU and MH. It softens the water enough to stop those annoying hard water spots.

Not too heavy, but I did make a handle to carry it around easier. Probably around 30 pounds full of water. lighter if you drain it, but be careful not to loose and of the resin.

Easy to re-generate. Just add 2 pounds of table salt in the top, let it sit for 1/2 hour then flush it using the attached small drain.

I think he means RV Pro 10,000 excellent bought mine in July of 2016 - it's $195 and did include free shipping

https://flowpur.com/collections/rv-p...table-softener
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
I think he means RV Pro 10,000 excellent bought mine in July of 2016 - it's $195 and did include free shipping

https://flowpur.com/collections/rv-p...table-softener
Yep, missed a zero!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 01-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #5

I have the same RV Pro 10,000 and it works well.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using the On-the-Go Double softener for 8 years and very happy with it. It takes two boxes of table salt to regenerate the resin bed. Depending on the water quality where we are, it will last 2 to 4 weeks between regeneration cycles. We also run a 5-micron sediment filter and a 5 micron carbon filter in front of the water softener unit to keep trash from accumulating in it.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We have been using the On-the-Go Double softener for 8 years and very happy with it. It takes two boxes of table salt to regenerate the resin bed. Depending on the water quality where we are, it will last 2 to 4 weeks between regeneration cycles. We also run a 5-micron sediment filter and a 5 micron carbon filter in front of the water softener unit to keep trash from accumulating in it.

Me too. It is heavy, and we only use it the 3 months we are in the RGV. The water is not the best here.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #8

Traveled FTfor 7 yrs using an 8000 grain On-The-Go portable water softener

S/W USA.....go about a week between regens (30 minute job)
2 adults, showering/dish washing, cooking, drinking etc
*Alamogordo NW--------about 4 days due to HARD HARD water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #9

I have had 8,000 grain which used 1 pound of non iodine salt to recharge. Usually lasted us 3 to 4 weeks. Also, had a 16,000 grain which used 2 pounds to recharge and lasted 5-6 weeks. While the 8,000 needed recharge more frequently, I found it easier to recharge than the 16,000. For either have a cup or two of water to dissolve the pile of damp salt as you load the softener.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's my softener with the handle I made and put on it. Checked the weight and it's 14 pounds empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W Softener.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	355014  
Old 01-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/MOBILE-H2O-Wa.../dp/B07NDH45W4

they have bigger units and smaller ones available. Keep your tank out of the sun as much as possible.

Tags
water