Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Water softeners

Spent winter 2019 in Florida. Hard, hard water. Had the Camco water filter on the inlet, plus a filter under the sink for drinking water and a filter in the refer for the ice maker. Ice was cloudy and left mineral deposits in the bottom of the glass.
Spent winter 2020 in Yuma, Arizona. Water was so hard, even the water spots had water spots. Replaced the Camco exterior filter with a dual cannister, .5 micron pre and an activated carbon filter, plus all the above filters. Water still too hard. Ice now truly disgusting. Yuma has roadside water kiosks where you can fill your own containers for $0.25 per gallon. Even car washes and restaurants have reverse osmosis water purification systems. Available documentation says the water in Yuma is unsafe to drink!
Winter 2021, Florida again. Had problems with my on-board water pump. The valves internal to the pump became stuck. When I took the pump apart the internal valves had large calcium deposits. The shower head needed to be replaced because half the holes were calcified-up. Several small valves leaked, particularly the tank-fill valve slowly leaked enough that after a week the tank went from 2/3 to over-full. Between the pump and the tank-fill valve, I was partially draining the tank weekly. Replaced valve body on pump and several drain valves, leak stopped but the valves had heavy calcium deposits. Was getting worried that my washing machine and refrigerator valves and water heater would start malfunctioning.
After much research, decided a water softener was appropriate so bought a Flow-Pur 10,000 water softener. Now the water tests in the 'soft' range, but the water has an odor in the shower and a slight after taste.
I have to assume this is a problem throughout the RV community, yet I don't see many water softeners in the parks. Has anyone out there suffered any of these problems and cured them?
Bob
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #2

Softened water is slightly salty, which may be what you're tasting. You could put your filters downstream of the softener, or the sediment filter upstream and the carbon filter downstream. The carbon filter is what removes unwanted tastes and odors.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
Spent winter 2019 in Florida. Hard, hard water. Had the Camco water filter on the inlet, plus a filter under the sink for drinking water and a filter in the refer for the ice maker. Ice was cloudy and left mineral deposits in the bottom of the glass.
Spent winter 2020 in Yuma, Arizona. Water was so hard, even the water spots had water spots. Replaced the Camco exterior filter with a dual cannister, .5 micron pre and an activated carbon filter, plus all the above filters. Water still too hard. Ice now truly disgusting. Yuma has roadside water kiosks where you can fill your own containers for $0.25 per gallon. Even car washes and restaurants have reverse osmosis water purification systems. Available documentation says the water in Yuma is unsafe to drink!
Winter 2021, Florida again. Had problems with my on-board water pump. The valves internal to the pump became stuck. When I took the pump apart the internal valves had large calcium deposits. The shower head needed to be replaced because half the holes were calcified-up. Several small valves leaked, particularly the tank-fill valve slowly leaked enough that after a week the tank went from 2/3 to over-full. Between the pump and the tank-fill valve, I was partially draining the tank weekly. Replaced valve body on pump and several drain valves, leak stopped but the valves had heavy calcium deposits. Was getting worried that my washing machine and refrigerator valves and water heater would start malfunctioning.
After much research, decided a water softener was appropriate so bought a Flow-Pur 10,000 water softener. Now the water tests in the 'soft' range, but the water has an odor in the shower and a slight after taste.
I have to assume this is a problem throughout the RV community, yet I don't see many water softeners in the parks. Has anyone out there suffered any of these problems and cured them?
Bob
Been to Florida, Texas and Yuma, currently sitting in Goodyear and we use the same water softener, but I use a 3 stage filter system before the softener. Since we have been here, December 6th, in Arizona I had to change the filters every 30 days instead of 3 months.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the portable "On the Go" softener but we also filter all of our drinking water with a Berkey. I think if you look deep enough in the manufacturers product info they recommend filtering before drinking.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

I have the same softener you mention. I built my filter setup by connecting 2 whole house filters before the softener (they will screw together). I put a sediment filter in the first canister and a carbon in the second. I also have a filter under the sink for the drinking water.

I disagree that softened water tastes salty. If it does you have not flushed it long enough after a regen. I always let mine run until the salt taste is gone before hooking it back to the rig. I rarely have any water problems but do have a occasional smell. I guess you can't filter out everything all the time. We are in Edinburg, Tx right now and have started buying water (last week) because I drink lots of water and I was getting an upset stomach (even from the coffee). It has gone away now and when we move next week I'll change all the filters before we start this years FT adventures.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
jrs

i don't taste salty water (after following direction on our 16000 grain unit On The Go Softener) and utilize a sediment filter prior to the unit
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
It is obvious, you are a your guy.
Us old ones never had such stuff growing up.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water