RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Weber Q2200 Portable Grill Review

Hi. This is a review of the Weber Q2200 grill and accessories that we just purchased. The grill and accessories:

Weber Q2200 Grill - Amazon.com : Weber 54060001 Q 2200 Liquid Propane Grill : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Weber Q6557 Portable Cart - Amazon.com : Weber 6557 Q Portable Cart for Grilling : Outdoor Grill Carts : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Weber 6551 Vinyl Cover - Amazon.com : Weber 6551 Vinyl Cover for Weber Q, Q-200, and Q-220 Gas Grills : Outdoor Grill Covers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Weber Q Adapter Hose - Amazon.com : Weber 6501 Adapter Hose for Weber Q-Series and Gas Go-Anywhere Grills, 6-Feet : Grill Connectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Weber 6503 Q Handle Light - Amazon.com : Weber 6503 Q Handle Light : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Some pics below...

We tried it out tonight by grilling some nice Kalbi steak. IMO, it's a winner. The Q2200 heated fairly fast and kept it's temperature well. Given the light weight, I was concerned that it would lose heat quickly.

The controls worked very smoothly and it lit instantly on the first try with the electronic lighter - one press and it's lit. No need to keep clicking a red button like older and/or less expensive models.

The grilling surface is large enough to cook steaks or chicken for four to six people, and burgers for 8 to 10 hungry folks. Overall, it's a nice size.

The grilling surface is porcelain over cast iron. My old Weber Silver B has a cast iron grill (no porcelain), which I love. I have mixed feelings about the porcelain grilling surface. It grilled the steak well, but I had difficulty cleaning it with this brush: Amazon.com : Weber 6493 21-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush : Patio, Lawn & Garden. I do NOT recommend this brush. It flexes too much and did not do a good job of cleaning the grilling surface even though I pre-oiled the grill. I need to find a good grill brush that will clean porcelain but not damage it. (It's impossible to damage my Silver B's cast iron grilling surface.)

Weight - It weighs 42lbs, but the handles are comfortable and you can hold it against your stomach when carrying. Even though I'm feeling a bit weak after having a cold for two weeks and not exercising, I didn't have any problems carrying it up from the garage, up a flight of stairs, through the family room, and out to the deck.

Wings - I especially like the wings. Well designed, solid and stable. The wings store inside the grill by flipping them over and closing the lid. The closed lid keeps the wings from moving. When open, the wings are canted up slightly and seemed a bit floppy at first. However when I place a tall, thik bottle of avocado oil on it, it flattened nicely and was very stable. Oil bottle never moved.

Width with wings closed - From handle to handle with the wings closed, the grill is 35" wide. For some strange reason Weber only lists the width with the wings open, which is useless when you're trying to figure out how to store it.

Cover - The cover fits tightly over the grill and the handles. Although the gas control is left uncovered, the cover completely protects the main parts of the grill except of the plastic legs. One huge advantage of the cover is that it covers the parts of the grill that might get dirty. This means that you can keep it close to your stomach (easier carrying) and still keep your cloths clean.

Portable cart - Overall the cart is well designed, easy to set up and break down, puts the grill at the right grilling height, and is easy to move around. When using it, it's very stable and doesn't move around. The only issue I found was the that grill moved back and forth when you try to scrub the grilling surface during cleaning. I wish it was a bit more stable in that direction, but it's only a minor irritant IMO.

Installing grill on cart - Installing the grill on the cart is very easy. I just place the grill close to the right position on the cart and then slid the back feet into their cart slots. Then I wiggle the front feet a little until the little red buttons pop up. When locked in like that, the grill can't fall off the cart. Nice feature and easy to use.

Deinstalling grill - Deinstalling the grill is even easier. Just press and hold one of the red buttons and pull the grill out slightly on that side to cover the button. Walk around to the other side and repeat. Then grab the grill by the handles, pull forward about an inch, then lift and walk off with the grill.

Folding the cart - The cart can be folded and moved with or without the grill. Because the grill is locked to the cart, you can fold the cart, and safely wheel it around using the wire handle (visible in the pics on the lower left of the cart). To fold the cart, you hold on the to the left grill handle or the left side of the cart, you push the red tab in the back left corner of the cart while pulling the grill handle or cart towards you. The red tab slides back about an inch and then you can lower the cart.

Note - if you have the grill on the cart, make sure that you have one foot firmly on the wide plastic foot on the lower left and one hand firmly on the grill. Once the red tab comes free, the cart will want to fold to the ground. Not a big issue once you know what will happen, but it may surprise you at first.

Grilling light - Love that light. It doesn't get in the way (much) when opening the cover and lights up the grilling surface without shining your eyes. It's got a on/off switch to turn it off completely, but when in the on position, the light is only on when the lid is up. When you close the lid, it automatically turns off. It is an LED light so battery life should be very good and it uses 3 triple-A batteries, which are available everywhere.

Ratings (1 to five stars):
Weber Q2200 Grill - 4.8 (Wish it was smidge lighter and had a cast iron grilling surface)
Weber Q6557 Portable Cart - 4.6 (Front to back stability could be improved)
Weber 6551 Vinyl Cover - 4.9 (Wish it covered the gas control)
Weber Q Adapter Hose - (Looks good, but not rated yet)
Weber 6503 Q Handle Light - 5.0 (Perfect)
Weber 6493 Grill Cleaning Brush - 1.0 (Poor. I did not like this brush at all.)

Except for the grill cleaning brush, I am EXTREMELY happy with the grill and accessories.

I hope this is useful for folks considering a portable grill. Please post any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I have a Weber Silver B that is close to 15 years old. Other than a little bit of external wear and dirt, and after replacing the internal burners, it it just as good now as the day I bought it. Yes, I am very biased towards Weber grills.

Dan_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

We bought its predecessor, a 220, for the RV. Unfortunately we didn't check its height. It was about 3/4" too tall to fit in the cargo bay with the lid on. I got fed up of taking the pins in and out and the lid on and off.

That 220 is now our patio grill, replacing a 4-burner behemoth CharBroil. We boough a Wber 100 for the RV. Miss the side tables and lid thermometer, but it's certainly more convenient.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weber does make a good grill. We have the smaller Baby Q version for the motorhome and have used it for about nine years now. My only complaint is I think it is a bit hard to control the heat. With only one burner and a fairly small grill surface, it is not easy to do indirect cooking, unlike my 3 burner Weber Genesis at home.

The Q is fine for fairly hot and quick cooking of steaks, burgers and dogs. Getting things like chicken done without some charring of the food is hard to do.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll watch out for these issues. I hope my enthusiasm is not misplaced.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

SMLranger, Try using soaked cedar/oak woods planks to grill on or cover part of the grill's burners with aluminum foil prior to lighting if you want to cook indirectly or slow cooking and worried about charring too much.

I'm a big indirect fan and slow cooker when I'm doing pork tenderloins or butterfly chops (slower=juicier). After I get the char I want I place the planks on half the grill and food placed on them and turn the temp down lower.

I've used both methods and they have worked for me ;-)

Good Eats!
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #6

Gus,

Nice tip. I'll give that a try with some chicken or salmon.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
SMLranger, Try using soaked cedar/oak woods planks to grill on or cover part of the grill's burners with aluminum foil prior to lighting if you want to cook indirectly or slow cooking and worried about charring too much.

I'm a big indirect fan and slow cooker when I'm doing pork tenderloins or butterfly chops (slower=juicier). After I get the char I want I place the planks on half the grill and food placed on them and turn the temp down lower.

I've used both methods and they have worked for me ;-)

Good Eats!
Thanks for that tip. I will try that next time I am doing some chicken or chops.