Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #43

I have two burner and three burner camp chef stoves, and a single griddle for the two burner, and a triple griddle for the three burner. Both of them have front grease drains and the grease literally goes everywhere.

Back in the summer, the Blackstone 4 burner with the rear grease system caught my eye. It is deeper than the griddles for the camp chef stoves, which is good for me because I do all the cooking for our family reunions. So, I bought it. I use it at least weekly, and if it weren’t for having to carry everything out, and then back in again, I might cook on it every day. But in any case, I do use it a lot.

We recently traded in the big Phaeton for a Winnebago View, with a view to travel lighter and more nimbly, without a towed. We decided to get a 17 inch Blackstone to carry with us because we like to cook outside, and if we were to only have ONE multipurpose outdoor cooking appliance, it would be the Blackstone. If we can carry the small grill that we have, all the better, because I prefer grilled steaks to griddled, but I can make do with griddled steaks...pancakes and eggs don’t do well on the grill. Our shakedown cruise is next week, so we’ll see how it goes.

I will add that, even though we have a 36” four burner, it is too much real estate for just the two of us, so, I’ll probably be adding one more at the house, which will be the 17” hooded griddle with a side burner/fryer combo. The Camp Chef stoves won’t be traveling with us anymore, but they still have their place for family reunion cooking, just probably not often with the griddles.
RamblingRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 11:31 PM   #44

I was just using my Wal Mart/Lodge cast iron griddle that just tosses on top of your regular grill to make tacos. I don't really care for it.
I always thought it a tad small and didn't like the oblong shape so much. Tonight I had the burners cranked to get some sizzle going and found a lot of heat comes up around the edges when doing that. So when flipping some onions around to get them carmelized my wrist would get pretty roasted.
Pretty much the final straw and I am now actually shopping dedicated griddles. Of course using the good info provided in this thread to help me pick one.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Interesting I also had a 2 and 3 burner CC and it was very nice but comparing the 17" Blackstone to the 22" BS with dual burners and the hood is just not fair. I find the 22" Blackstone the perfect camping cooking device, that comes with the folding stand and it all packs up very neatly and compact for storing in the basement of our RV....just sayin'
I agree with u
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #46

I wanted a griddle with a cover and side burner. Walmart carries a 17" Blackstone like this which I did not find elsewhere. I did not see not see any other brands that had what I wanted, so I bought the Blackstone.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...ryer/609903019

This model was of interest too, but the one I have gives me what I use most:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...iddle/36298632
Old 03-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #47

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by QA2FalconRet View Post
Check out "Little Griddle" fits on grill when you want a flat surface and stainless steel no rust, no seasoning, love mine.
Thanks a ton for putting this on my radar!

I've been shopping around and just found one (open box, unused) for about 1/2 price. I just couldn't do it at $70 not knowing how it will work out with our set up... the cheaper all flat ones would fit but don't have the grease catch on the front at all. that's a game changer for sure.

At what I pd it's worth the experiment. And if it fits on the table top stainless grill the way I hope from the measurements and pictures...well this could be the best camp cooking addition in a very long time. :-D

So anyways.... thx again. The cast iron is going in the house.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use to cook entirely with charcoal but this takes patience and a lot of time that we were not willing to spend before each meal. We decided to go with a propane skillet of some kind and liked the reviews of the Blackstone. We now have the line connected to our RV propane tank instead of using the portable small propane cylinders, which can be costly and don't last long.

We love our 17" Blackstone grill. We cook a lot of breakfast and dinner meals on the skillet and like the even heat of the cooking surface. It's heavy duty and we've never had any issues with the quality of the grill. It basically cooks like a cast iron skillet. You have to be prepared to clean it well after each use, just like anything else. Speaking of cleaning, we like the grease catcher device and the fact that it's located in the back middle of the skillet. We're getting ready to purchase the table legs attachment so we're not always have to put it on a picnic table.

Good luck with whatever brand you choose
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They work, are not expensive, the small one has a carry bag that fits in my closet. Did I say they work? I've had mine for a few years now and still love it. Cooking outside keeps hhe grease, heat and smoke out of the RV.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #50

Spartan Chassis
Canyon coolers are the early creators of the Yeti style cooler. Began years ago supplying river float companies and other outdoor adventure companies.
ChristmasMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Blackstone is a quality cast-iron, pre-seasoned GRIDDLE (NOT a grill); there are other brands, often others sold by rv dealers; Bought a two-burner for patio for wife, pretty heavy on the lift off griddle, happy, wife; may later buy stand for patio and 1-burner for RV? (LIMITED storage)
A Blackstone griddle is neither cast iron nor is it pre-seasoned. The griddle is made from rolled steel and the only "seasoning" on it is a coat of oil to keep it from rusting in the box. You need to wash it with hot water and soap to get it off before you really season it.
OafDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #52

For those of you that said they aren't any better than any other griddle you were correct.

I picked one up a 17" at Lowes because I get my 10% off. What a disappointment. The welds were burned through the metal. The entire front was welded together crooked which made the griddle unlevel and the top metal hood didn't close correctly. For those who "believe" these are made in the good old USA...it had an overseas inspection tag in the box.

Ended up bringing it back.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jim58
Old 03-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #53

https://griddleking.com/are-blacksto...de-in-the-usa/

Agreed, so, I emailed Blackstone Support for an official response, and this is what they said: “Blackstone Griddles are Manufactured in China, but our Headquarters is in Utah and has hundreds of local employees”.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Our 2021 Rockwood 5th wheel came with a griddle. I think a lot of units are coming out with griddles now instead of a grill. It looks exactly like the Blackstone 17. I mean except for the name it is the very same. I have not used it yet. Its going to get a work out this summer for sure. I have always had a small grill till now. Most the time it is just the two of us. Looking forward to seeing how things are with a griddle.
Not sure about a griddle yet, but boy Blackstone and Camp Chef sure can market.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #55

Wife pointed out electric griddles and asked why wouldn't one of those work? I hemmed and hawed around a bit and for the life of me can't think why not. We are either plugged in with 120 available or I can run the generator.

Anyone know why a propane grill is better? Other than the obvious power source. I bought one anyway. What the heck, they're cheap. Haven't tried it yet though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
https://griddleking.com/are-blacksto...de-in-the-usa/

Agreed, so, I emailed Blackstone Support for an official response, and this is what they said: “Blackstone Griddles are Manufactured in China, but our Headquarters is in Utah and has hundreds of local employees”.
A little misleading? Are the "Hundreds of local employees" in China? Local Chinese people working in a local Chinese factory. Most likely.

It is sad that we can't have these things made locally, but the consumer (us) wants the lowest price.

I'll stick with my grill and if I need a griddle, I will put one on top of my grill.

I like to see charred on the outside of my steak. Also grilled corn on the cob is excellent.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote