RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

Why do tires dry rot

it has been asked before , but I'm asking again.

Maybe somebody on here knows why it is a campers tires dry rot fast when it sits? When the unit is on the road moving they don't seem to dry rot.
What am I missing on this? Even when folks use tire covers they tend to dry out. I'd like to know what it is that makes this happen to them.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

my understanding is the rotation movement of the tire helps bring the oils to the surface of the tire.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
my understanding is the rotation movement of the tire helps bring the oils to the surface of the tire.
The most common causes of dry rot include:
*low inflation of the tires (excessive heat build up plus increased sidewall flexing)

*storage near excessive heat ( Ozone and ultraviolet light (UV) are the chief environmental degradants)

*lack of use (added 'resins' in tires helps flex while driving - parked for extended periods causes the rubber to become unflexible.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Tires break down for several reasons. All of them to do with chemistry...

The most significant source of damage is ultraviolet radiation from the sun. UV light degrades polymers and aramids - and rubber, causing fading, cracking, and degradation of mechanical properties (flexibility). UV damage can be reduced by the use of proper tire coatings and tire covers.

Oxidation causes similar issues, as does water, but at a much slower rate than UV. There really isn’t much that can be done about either. The nitrogen fad from a few years ago was supposed to help, and it does in a very, very limited way for our tires, but really isn’t worth the effort.

Lastly, other environmental chemicals have the same effect, but again, not much we can do about ‘em.

Car tires age just like our RV tires, but they generally get replaced due to tread loss long before they show signs of general aging.

I haven’t found any credible evidence that driving on tires helps them age better, but I haven't looked that hard either. I suspect it has more to do with feeling better about replacing them with visible tread wear rather than looking brand new. Maybe the tire guy will pop in with some actual data.

All manufacturers and experts agree, to get the longest life from our tires:
  • Keep them inflated properly based on the coach’s actual weight
  • Keep ‘em clean
  • Treat the visible bits with a good UV protectant
  • Keep ‘em covered when the coach is stored.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that tires which prematurely crack or rot are made with more synthetic rubber than natural rubber.

All good advice here though for prolonging tire life.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

At one time I had an old truck which suffered a major mechanical failure. Having another truck to drive I just let it sit with some idea of maybe fixing it later.
It had a matched set of tire and I left it with the right side facing a direct southern exposure and the left side constantly shaded. Not on purpose. Some three years later I found the right rear had burst. Right at the top and across the tread. A few weeks later the right front burst identically, belts splayed out like a porcupine. About that point I junked the truck out. But I kept the left side tires and recycled them onto the rear wheels of truck #2. I was very wary of them at first but they lasted at least another year until the tread wore out.

Not a scientific test but proved to me the same sun that bakes all the paint off the southern side of my house is also pretty darn rough on tires.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
[*]Treat the visible bits with a good UV protectant

Regards,

Randy
Treat the visible bits with a good UV protectant ?

What would be a good uv protectant? I thought "Armor All" and such were bad for tires.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dry rot,I think of tire oils being washed out or UV damage.

All tires I think will age to be unsafe. But to accelerate the aging drive over loaded, under inflated, or to fast. One of the signs of this aging is cracks around the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. Sometimes called a zipper.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim,

Iím still trying to figure that out. There are dozens.

Iíve heard the same about AA, and stopped using it years ago. The tire manufacturers recommend using them. It would be nice if they specified a preference!

The 303 line of products seem to used by a lot of folks and get good reviews. I used their Foaming Tire Protectant before I put the tire covers on. Iím still researching though and may choose something else when the 303 can is empty.

The new coach had full-body paint, and Iím trying to figure out the whole wax / sealer / ceramic thing too...

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Jim,

Iím still trying to figure that out. There are dozens.

Randy
I going to try this one. It's a little high , but if I can get half of what they claim I'll be happy with it.

https://renewprotect.com/product/blak/

Tags
tires