Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Wife and I just got our Ebikes......what a blast

I am 53 and the wife is younger than me, I think 48. We rented ebikes a few weeks ago in Hilton Head and loved the experience. We purchased two bikes with 4 inch fat tires that have pedal assist as well as throttle assist. Last night, after an hour or two of minor assembly and battery charging, we took off on a 4 mile ride. It was like we were 12 again with our first ever 10 speed bike.

When we first thought of ebikes we initially thought of powered scooter type bikes. One could use an ebike that way but what we found immediately is that the ebike allowed us to ride and when we hit a large hill, or our legs were giving out, we could let the pedal assist or even the throttle, take over for a minute or two, and then we were back at it.

While the wife was at work today I jumped on my bike and I couldn't believe I road 13 miles once I got home. For those who want to jump on me for it being an ebike, I will tell you it is still one heck of a work out.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I am 53 and the wife is younger than me, I think 48...
you think??? you're not sure??
Old 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've had e-bikes for going on 3 years now. We ride more now than we did for the past several decades. We actually seek out bike trails whenever we travel (I use traillink.com) & we've been all over the bike trails around us....multiple times. The longest ride we did was 26 miles round trip & that was at about the limit of the batteries. They're a blast!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #4

Ok. What are good brands?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Old 04-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought Rad Power Bikes after a heck of a lot of research. Evelo is another very good brand but we couldn't justify the extra $1000 per bike.

If you are going to look into them I would suggest making sure the bike has both pedal assist as well as a throttle. Huge difference having the pedal assist.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
How do you carry them? They are darned heavy to lift and exceed the weight rating of most bike racks.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hilton Head

I think Hilton Head must be dangerous! We bought 2 bikes after our spring visit to our RV pad in March. We have had them only 2 weeks and have over 50 miles on them. We went to Palmetto Bluff and purchased Pedego Bikes. The model is the Interceptor. We couldn’t be happier....Ours has both pedal assist and a throttle. On the model we chose the pedals are set slightly ahead of the placement on a normal bike. With bad knees it was important to be comfortable. This was absolutely the right bikes for our creaky old knees. We are 67 and 69 years young. My sons complain that I need to slow down!!

We purchased a Swagman bike rack suitable for e bikes on a motorhome. The cover is more difficult due to the size of the bikes so we are having covers made at Covers and All.com....I’d have to let you know how that comes out. The bikes weight 50 lbs each without the batteries. It does take 2 of us to lift the bikes on the carrier.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

The Rad mini folds up and will fit in the trunk of your toad. Weighs about 67 lbs, 60 with battery removed.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
How do you carry them?
Ours fold & ride, securely/dirt free, in the back of the toad.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I am 53 and the wife is younger than me, I think 48. ..... It was like we were 12 again with our first ever 10 speed bike.
Youth is wasted on the young. Finally gave up my mountain bike when I retired. Often got light headed when doing heavy exercise. Falling on your head is not good for your health.

It is like being one again. Walking and not falling down.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #12

Tons of ebikes here in Huntington Beach CA. However there are less expensive, and less heavy options than the big, heavy Pedegos etc., not that there's anything wrong with those, they are awesome!

6 years ago (when I was 59) I bought a "Hilltopper" kit (no affiliation) online for $600. Comes with a 250 watt planetary gear motor hub laced onto whatever size wheel you request. Also comes with the battery pack you pick, and the electrical harness.

Very easy to install, though I did have to file the fork openings just a bit. It only adds about 6 pounds to the bike, and will go 15 MPH on it's own on level ground. Also with this motor you can just ride normally, pedaling, or pedal with the motor on. This style of motor adds no resistance when not in use. BTW to me 15 MPH is fast enough for most bike paths. When some go whizzing by over 20 MPH it's dangerous to other riders, and to kids walking.

I ride about every day when it's not raining to our local pier and back. Was getting to be a chore because one way or the other, it's against the wind.

I just put it on an old bike I already had. I've had to purchase a new battery pack about every 2 years, but that's to be expected. About $300 per for a 20 mile lithium pack. The motor still runs like a champ. These are very common motors in Asia, pretty much bulletproof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motobecane 20Mile.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	629.9 KB
ID:	241755   Click image for larger version

Name:	MotoHCHubLeft (845x1280).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	241757  

tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
How do you carry them? They are darned heavy to lift and exceed the weight rating of most bike racks.

Thule makes a platform rack from dual e-bikes. Expensive, but a great rack. I bought mine from
Etrailer.com

Good luck
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #14

By the way, we bought two Rad Power Bikes and they are awesome. We live in Seattle where they are located, but they have dealers everywhere.
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote