Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Wireless Bedroom light Switch

Anyone install one of these? looking to install on bedroom light in my Passport.

Eco-LED® Wireless Wall Switch DC Kit | Value-Pack[LIST=1]

Comments good/Bad?
loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loum35 View Post
Anyone install one of these? looking to install on bedroom light in my Passport.

Eco-LED® Wireless Wall Switch DC Kit | Value-Pack[LIST=1]

Comments good/Bad?
Did a search on the same subject, and found your post, I have some arriving Monday. Doesn't look like anybody else is responding, so I will let you know how they work. No informative videos on youtube either. No installation instruction found other than just wiring it in. Says multiple dimmers can be used with one switch, or multiple switches with one dimmer, but does not say how that is accomplished. If they are all on the same frequency or ID, thats not going to be any good if different lights need to be controlled seperately, or if someone camping next to you have that switch too.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:35 AM   #3

Thanks. Looking forward to your comments after you recieve the switch. You have all the same questions i have.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

I installed low voltage Qubino Z-wave smart controllers on my RV lights.
This reuses your existing mechanical switch to "tell" the controller you want to change the state of the light (on vs. off).

Because the controller is Z-Wave, you can then use a Z-Wave automation controller to apply logic to the state of the light. And use "remote controls" or your phone to turn the light on or off anywhere you have connectivity to the RV system (could be anywhere you have Internet access).

Here is how it works:

Existing mechanical switch > qubino smart control > Lighting load

To control the light remotely:

Automation controller > Z-Wave controller > Z-Wave RF (radio frequency) > Qubino smart control > Light

And, with that control system you can:

Touchscreen (iphone / android phone / tablet / PC) > automation controller

Or another Z-Wave switch on the wall > Z-Wave controller > automation controller > Your device to control (like your light).

You can also have the automation controller turn on / off the lights are prescribed times or when motion is sensed (automation). Like if a motion detector sees someone outside during night time hours, turn on the light(s) to both scare away the "intruder" and also to wake you up and illuminate the pathways (whatever is applicable).
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #5

Ok, got the switches today, and installed all three. The quick connects were useless, which I figured would be. Most campers the lights are hardwired in, which was the case on my Coleman. Take care to note the polarity of the old lights and the adapter, also note the in and out on the adapter. On mine, on the camper power, green was positive, white was negative. But on the lights, black is positive, while white is negative. On the dimmer module, white is positive, grey is negative. At least it was marked on the controller! The switch and controller are pre-matched from the factory, but it says it can be matched to others during the first five seconds of power up by pressing the power and down button simultaneously. So far, it works great. The one thing I found though, is on the lowest dim setting the lights flicker, but not real annoying.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #6

Thank s for the update. I will take a lool at the zwave. Will probaly.go with the original switch Thanks for all the install details.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #7

The mechanical switches on all but two fixtures are on the ceiling, my wife can't reach them without a step, so the RF wall switches will be a big help.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I installed low voltage Qubino Z-wave smart controllers on my RV lights.
This reuses your existing mechanical switch to "tell" the controller you want to change the state of the light (on vs. off)...
Dav L - I'm very interested in which Qubino controller you used for the 12 volt lighting... I've spent all morning reading product user manuals on Qubino's web site and the closest one I can find is the ZMNHVD3 that uses an injected 12 volt power supply... I'm usually able to Google my way to what I want to know, but I'm coming up empty handed on this subject... Many thanks for your assistance! Charles
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Along these lines:

Things were boring around the Southwind this year, so I played with wiring some of the;lights and other items so I could control them with the DW's brand new Amazon Alexa.

Alexa, Turn the lights ON. Alexa, turn the radio ON.

Alexa: Turn the kitchen light ON – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post
Dav L - I'm very interested in which Qubino controller you used for the 12 volt lighting... I've spent all morning reading product user manuals on Qubino's web site and the closest one I can find is the ZMNHVD3 that uses an injected 12 volt power supply... I'm usually able to Google my way to what I want to know, but I'm coming up empty handed on this subject... Many thanks for your assistance! Charles
Yes, that's one of the 12 volt compatible devices. Their RGBW controller is another. Note the RGBW is actually four independent loads that it can control. So, up to four white LED lights / strips. Or one RGB strip plus one other white strip. They also have a simple relay for on / off devices.

Other devices to look at are Sonoff and Shelley. Less expensive. They can be reflashed (reprogrammed) with software called Tasmotta. This allows an automation controller to control the devices without the Internet using communications technology called MQTT. The devices are connected to the controller via WiFi on your RV WiFi network.

I will ultimately do a complete write up on how to do this stuff....right now, fixing the result of my leaking roof
Old 05-15-2020, 05:36 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Waiter21 and DavL - Many thanks for the replies and great info ... I need to control three sets of light in the bedroom; this is EXACTLY what I was looking for... Now I have a new project! Safe Travels - Charles
2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #12

So all I want to do is have a simple wall switch to control one overhead light that has a slide switch. No internet, no Alexa, no key fob. Just simple. And I'd prefer a mechanical switch the I can find in the dark and know that I pushed it on. Seems like this should be a no brainer but I still can't find one. Please help?
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstfiver View Post
So all I want to do is have a simple wall switch to control one overhead light that has a slide switch. No internet, no Alexa, no key fob. Just simple. And I'd prefer a mechanical switch the I can find in the dark and know that I pushed it on. Seems like this should be a no brainer but I still can't find one. Please help?
Did you find anything?

I am in a similar situation with a Winnie Drop 170s. Wife can not reached overhead bathroom light. But all of the 5 overhead lights are problematic, even for me with a shoulder injury. Only the entrance light has a wall switch

So, first choice is to find something that will allow me to add multiple lights on a controller board for wall control. But, worst case, I want to at least add a wall switch for the bathroom.

Waiter21…VERY impressive write up!! I would give that a try (love Alexa with ~50 Alexa devices around the house) but in this case, don’t have the room in the lights, and don’t need Alexa control for this tiny trailer.
Drewloker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:09 AM   #14

Drewloker...I'm still hoping to hear from someone about a simple light control.
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch