Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you can do 100gb on a 20$ tablet plan but at lower speeds than 4g.

And yes tablet plans are for tablets only can not place that sim in a hotspot. Must use the hotspot feature for another use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #16

My AT&T tablet plan is 4G LTE... speeds usually around 35Mbps. You must have the wrong plan.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I've read a lot about the AT&T $20 tablet plan but don't have one myself. What gymnastics if any do you need to do to use it?
No gymnastics at all to use it in a tablet because that's what it's for and probably all it should be used for.

Quote:
Can you just pop it in a hotspot or router with no other action and get unlimited data or do you need to spoof TTL or some other technique?
It does work in a router. I've resisted the temptation to do that even though it's pretty much the default recommendation to any newbie on a certain Facebook group. I won't bore you by repeating what I wrote here. That was before the recent price drop so I guess the financial risk isn't so bad if they decide to change you to a hotspot plan but the price drop also makes it harder to complain that "there isn't really a reasonably priced alternative", not that that's any excuse anyway.

Quote:
I also read that AT&T capped hotspot usage at 10 GB for new accounts (as of late last year) but that may only apply if you are using the hotspot function of a tablet(?)
Yes that's true. I foolishly bought an iPad mostly to use with this plan as a legitimate unlimited hotspot for $20 per month. The 10 GB limit started the day I got the plan from AT&T I returned the iPad to Amazon and bought a Samsung Android tablet open box on eBay. That works great with the same plan and allows me to use an app like EasyTether to tether with device data. I have that setup with a Raspberry Pi following this project. That gives me unlimited tethering even though I have a recent account. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not that makes me as bad as those using the plan in a IMEI spoofed router. At least I'm not doing anything illegal and the SIM never leaves the tablet. I haven't yet done any more than about 70 GB in a month on the tablet.

The tablet is just a backup in case the reseller plan in my Pepwave fails. Right now we're sitting in a Cracker Barrel packing lot in Canton, OH. The tablet is sitting on the kitchen counter working nicely as a standalone portable TV running Sling.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
FYI the use of easy tether is in violation of any newer contract with your cell provider. If you read the terms of service any application that spoofs the original MAC address of a connected device is a breach of contract.

Now if you have an older unlimited account created before the FCC settlement on tethering your good to go but in that case 3rd party apps are not needed.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
FYI the use of easy tether is in violation of any newer contract with your cell provider. If you read the terms of service any application that spoofs the original MAC address of a connected device is a breach of contract.
It doesn't spoof the MAC address. I think it makes tethering use the default "dialer" or DUN rather than the one intended for tethering. I haven't tried it but I think you can do the same with an Android setting. See method #1 here https://internet-access-guide.com/hide-hotspot-usage/ EasyTether just wraps that up in a nice app.

Whether or not that's a violation of terms ... you might be right, I really don't know.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote