Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2023, 04:59 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2 provider hotspots

After much research I now have 3 isp. Starlink is my go to when stationary and 2 different cell phone provider hot spots for when on the move. I want to have all three coming into my dual WAN router so everything can be programmed to connect to my main router and it will auto failover when 1 of the signals in not coming in.

I have it working perfectly for 2 (SL and we will call it Hotspot/carrier 1 (HS1)

SL is connected via Ethernet on WAN1
HS1 is wireless so I have it running thru a WiFi to Ethernet connection using a device called TPlink Travel router. You set it up to connect to your WiFi (hs1) then it has a Ethernet port that I connect to the main router as WAN2

It’s hotspot 2 (HS2) that I am having trouble with. I thought I could give it the same Ssid and password as HS1 and have the TPlink see it and use it just like the same signal in the event carrier 1 signal went out I could easily turn on carrier 2 and seamlessly connect and just keep going.

TPlink is making me configure it again for the HS2 even though it has the same SSID and password. I’m not tech enough to know what settings to just start changing. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #2

That's because TPlink is trash and it knows the wifi AP has a different Mac address so doesn't store it.

Get a pepwave router. Not only do they have 2 Sim slots but you can run off 12v. Also you can pay for their service to bond them all 3 together and/or with priorities. You can even have wifi wan as a 4th internet so at a cg or home it uses that. I have Starlink, 1 Sim in the pepwave and a Hotspot connected to my wan2 ethernet so we can take the Hotspot out and use when away from the bus
Old 04-03-2023, 09:35 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you. I have the expensive piece already (My router) it's only dual WAN but I just purchased it so don't want to replace this time. I looking for alternatives for turning wifi into eithernet.