Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

2 sat dishes 1 receiver

we currently have a kingdome 9762 which we are happy with and want to keep it on the coach and add a winegard travler to the roof. we have a hr24 dvr. can i do this by just running both dishes into a couple of a.b. switch's and on into the receiver dvr. i guess we're trying to have the best of both worlds! lol. thanks! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is your set-up high def ?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

i'm running my hr24 in sd since i'm on my dome. when i figure out this combo i hope to be able to run the dvr on hd when using the travler and when i want to use the kingdome in travel mode i will be in sd. jim
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you mean. One dish for SD and one for HD?

What does it cost to have the Travler installed, or are you going to DIY ?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #5

the dome will run the receiver sd and when switching to the travler it will run on hd. all tv's are running on hdmi cable. on dtv an hr24 using our dome runs sd. my only concern is will an ab coaxial switch work combining the output from each dish into the hr24 dvr/receiver. jim
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
the dome will run the receiver sd and when switching to the travler it will run on hd. all tv's are running on hdmi cable. on dtv an hr24 using our dome runs sd. my only concern is will an ab coaxial switch work combining the output from each dish into the hr24 dvr/receiver. jim
Yes it will. Lots of people do this, although many prefer to get a second SD receiver (not a DVR) for use with the dome. Not only will you have to get a good quality A-B switch, you will also have to re-run the setup routine on the HR-24 each time you switch antennas. Which is a pain in the you-know-what.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #7

i never thought of that part. i was hoping to use the one dvr as we record a lot and always watch the same programing. thanks! jim
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I usually advise folks who have roof mounted antennas to put in an A/B switch and a connector in the basement or wall for a ground mount dish, A for the Roof up Above, b for the connector down Below. Mine is on the brake bell crank bracket (how's that for maxing out b's, oh, it's a ground Block)

If your DVR is dual input, like the ones I used to have, and your service is DISH, put one on each input, If it's direct, your plan is sound, use the portable for when you are under the evil signal eating tree.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Satellite systems really do not like A/B switches in their systems. Instead why not run a separate dedicated system for each antenna. Then it is a matter of switching the wires from antenna A to antenna B when you want to.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #10

don, what are you refering to as dedicated systems? i already have the 9762 kingdome and plan on adding the winegard travler to another location on roof. i just don't want to pull the dvr out and change cables when i want to change dish inputs. after talking to a couple of people down here in ft myers that are using the ab. switches it seems that as previosly stated its more a matter of using a high quality ab. switch. and as flyingdiver sated a few minutes to change settings on the dvr/receiver when going from sd to hd. the way i'm looking at this is that its still worth it to us as there are times that we all pull into a campground and if we could move a small amt. we could get a signal, (trees etc.) also the ability to be auto tracking when mobile will be worth the incovieniance of changing settings. thanks for the thoughts! jim
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
I too do not believe in using AB switch in Sat. systems, especially HD.
I have 9762 Kingdome in the front area and a MotoSat HD antenna in the rear area. Even with trees, most of the time can get a lock on one or both.
I use 4 receivers, one on the Kingdome and 3 on the MotoSat to run 4 TV's with independent channels on each. Even though the 3 interior TV's have their own sat. receiver for HD via the MotoSat, I also have all (including the exterior TV) wired to use the Kingdome if needed. There is also a reciever to run all TV's from the HD MotoSat that is teamed through a Component Switch along with the receiver for the Kingdome that will feed all TV's via Component wiring. All receivers are on battery backups to avoid restarting after moving/traveling. Each TV has own DVD, but have one DVD to run to all TV's if needed.
A bit confusing...yes, somewhat redundant maybe just a little, but I always have TV.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #12

justaroamer, thanks but i don't want or need 4 recievers, we both watch the same programing (dw loves motorsports!) i simply want to use my one dvr with the option of the two dishes. my 9762 does not go through trees as well as yours lol.
jim
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #13

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Well, one problem I see with only 1 receiver on 2 dishes, the Wineguard is an HD ant. and your Kingdome is SD. To receive HD programing on Directv (from the Wineguard), the receiver needs to be set to a slimline5 oval, where as when you go back to the Kingdome you should reset the receiver to a round dish, this is necessary for the reciever to know what programing is available for the type of dish you are using. Not hard to do, but takes a short time to redownload the guides, reset receiver settings, and the receiver will go through it's startup proceedure each time you switch antenna's. Not a real convience in my book, but it should work for you.
Just get another receiver/DVR and then you can also have more recording options from the HD antenna.
FYI, Wineguard is also updating the Traveler to a SWM system which is another story.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are using a mounted (roof) dish and a portable dish (Does not matter if roof top is dome or dish type) then an A/B switch. You need one switch per LNB IN jack on the receiver/dvrl

If you are using two domes for a Dish network DVR so you can record off two sats at one time, Hook one to each LNB. in jack.

I still recommend the A/B switch and a ground mount for the tree problem.

The key things to remember...

If you hook up and unhook a dish, ALWAWS have the switch in the ROOF (A) position (A for Above) when playing with connectors.

And 2:

Directv, After you switch the switch RESET the receiver

Dish network after you switch the switch AND aquire the satellites (Drive our from under the tree or aim the ground mount) CHECK SWITCH.