Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #239

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
AT&T was supposed to ship my Mobley between the 19th and 25th. Not shipped yet. Getting excited!

Is AT&T releasing more Mobley's?

I picked one up for myself a while ago and recently tried it at my brothers house out in the middle of no where (where I store my RV) and was able to get 6-8 MB download speeds. With some positioning or antenna I'm sure we could get that higher. He didn't think internet was possible out there other than satellite. He was looking for a Mobley but couldn't find any. At least not at a reasonable price.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #240

Still shows out of stock online, and they are virtually impossible to find elsewhere. AT&T chat said that they expect to have more units available in about 2 weeks.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #241

Angry Life is Hell!

Got back from the AT&T store with an operational Mobley! Plugged my home made power adapter into the 12V lighter socket on the TV antenna amp, and voila! it works. Only thing connected to it was the laptop. Tried for a couple of hours to get the Samsung Smart TV to connect, and it kept giving me string of numbers to enter into my router. Couldn't figure out how to do that. Finally entered them into what I know now was the security code for the Mobley. It informed me that if I did this everything connected would have to be reconnected. When all else fails, hit the "go" button. I did - It didn't! No more connection via WiFi. When trying, it would inform me that since my last connection something had changed, and I needed to enter the "Security Code". Tried everything I could think of, and nothing worked. Contacted AT&T car people, and after about an hour, told me that I would have to contact ZTE to have them reset that code, and gave me an 800#. ZTE rep, after quite a length of time, informed me that when the AT&T corporate guy changed the SIM card, he had screwed up, and the Mobley was now defective, and I would have to return it to vendor for replacement. It took me 11 days to get it from ABC Whse. I hate to start interfacing with them again, and I don't think they have any more available. Guess I'll wait until Monday AM and try AT&T again, maybe I can get someone more knowledgeable, unless one of you guys can provide me with some tutoring.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #242

Have you tried setting the Mobley back to factory setting? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #243
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad1970 View Post
Is AT&T releasing more Mobley's?

I picked one up for myself a while ago and recently tried it at my brothers house out in the middle of no where (where I store my RV) and was able to get 6-8 MB download speeds. With some positioning or antenna I'm sure we could get that higher. He didn't think internet was possible out there other than satellite. He was looking for a Mobley but couldn't find any. At least not at a reasonable price.

Don't know. I signed up and ordered mine through an AT&T store back on 4-29-17.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #244

Entegra Owners Club
I bought a spare here last night....there are three more available at $169 each.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Zte...vice/470874113

No warranties expressed or implied. I haven't received mine yet.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #245
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
I bought a spare here last night...
This may be a basic question for the techies. But, I never learned much about SIM cards. i guess it is time to learn.

So, how does a 'spare' Mobley work? If the device (Mobley) dies, can you simply move the SIM Card from the old device to the new device? Do you also have to contact the carrier (AT&T) office? Or, just turn it on and use it?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #246

Here is a primer on GSM vs CDMA. It talks about Sim Cards
CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #247
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Here is a primer on GSM vs CDMA. It talks about Sim Cards
CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Thank you!

So, if I understand correctly, AT&T uses a GSM system. If one Mobley device dies, the SIM card can simply be extracted and inserted into another Mobley device. Nothing further needs to be done. The new device will work just like the old device (before it died, of course).
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Thank you!

So, if I understand correctly, AT&T uses a GSM system. If one Mobley device dies, the SIM card can simply be extracted and inserted into another Mobley device. Nothing further needs to be done. The new device will work just like the old device (before it died, of course).

That's correct.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #249

Holding the reset button depresses until #1 light turns red is supposed to reset to factory settings. Evidently this one doesn't.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #250

How does this work different from the Onstar offer? What extra's would I need to purchase?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #251

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How does this work different from the Onstar offer? What extra's would I need to purchase?

Raymond,

It's a data plan designed for people without a Chevy "Onstar" vehicle. The ZTE mobley is a device that plugs into late model cars OBDII port. When you start your car...it powers up the hotspot which allows up to 5 devices to connect. You can designate some of them as "guest" using a different password if you want. Service for the device thru the AT&T Connected Car plan is $20 per month...unlimited...they can throttle the speed after 22gb usage.

Since a lot of motorhomes don't have an OBDII port, other power adapters are available. 12v, 110v, USB...that have a OBDII connector for the Mobley to connect to.

I got in on this only a few weeks ago....and we purchased the Mobley for $99 from Best Buy online. I then purchased a OBDII pigtail, and a USB to 12v converter cord...a little solder and heat shrink...and we now have mobile Internet in the coach.

We have everything wirelessly connected to an Alfa Products R36 router. I usually use thier USB WiFi booster to connect to campground wifi...so when we are mobile...I just redirect that to the mobley and everything in our network is connected.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #252

I'm beginning to feel like a redheaded stepchild! A sper my last post, I could not connect the Mobley to wifi. Got away from it for a day, plugged it back in this afternoon, and it works. Still can't figure out how to get my Samsung Smart TV to connect to Mobley. On the TV, when I'm ready to connect, it says to enter a PIN number into my router. I tried to replace the pin# for Mobley on Saturday, that's when I lost everything. Dialed up Connected Car and after being transferred to the 8th person, She was going to send a technician to my house to work on my U-verse. I asked to speak to a mgr, and she got real haughty, informing me she was a technician
Told her I was sorry about that, and hung up. I'll try again tomorrow.