Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #1275

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No one has mentioned the 22 gig limit on the "unlimited" plan like all these plans have. Here is a portion of the fine print on the ATT mobley website:

"AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge"

So what makes this any better than say a Verizon jetpack?
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #1276

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I used 160 GB, yes GB, this past cycle. In the 3 months I've had this I've never seen a slow down. It is amazing and I often wonder if I should just use this at home too instead of paying Verizon even more money!

Why better than Verizon Jetpack/MiFi? COST

$20/unlimited on the Mobley. My backup is a Verizon MiFi 7730 and it's $90/mo for 20 GB. Not unlimited. And Verizon "unlimited" is not unlimited, hotspots are typically capped at 10 GB on those plans.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #1277

Well the Verizon limit for hotspots and modems is only 15GB compared to the 22 limit of the Mobley.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #1278

What part of the MAY slow you down after 22 GB do you not understand? we have never experienced a slow down.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #1279

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
NealC

When did you get yours? before June 2017? if so, then it probably is TRUE unlimited.

This is from a technical forum that I found on the subject:

When AT&T first released the AT&T ZTE Mobley, they never expected these devices to be used outside of a vehicle's OBD port, so the sim cards included in the AT&T ZTE Mobley were never designed/programmed to be throttled. Further, the contract AT&T had with a 3rd party company (which were distributing the AT&T ZTE Mobley) prohibited AT&T to throttle its customers after 22GB of data usage. Rather than continue to sell the AT&T ZTE Mobley, AT&T decided they had to mitigate this issue and decided to take the AT&T ZTE Mobley off the market entirely. (Due to the un-throttled sim cards which originally came with these units).

Fast forward to June 2017. AT&T quietly discontinued selling the AT&T ZTE Mobley on their website by marking it as 'out of stock.' All other retailers soon follow suit and mark the item as discontinued, however, AT&T continues to sell the plan.

Considering the aforementioned, the most important factor to consider is the sim card you will be using with the $20 Unlimited 'Connected Car' plan. Almost all AT&T sim cards are now programmed to throttle you once you pass 22GB of data, EXCEPT those sim cards that were originally included with the AT&T ZTE Mobley devices prior to June 2017.

According to this, if you order one from ATT the sim will throttle you after 22 gig. Is this correct on the new devices?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Aeller View Post
Considering the aforementioned, the most important factor to consider is the sim card you will be using with the $20 Unlimited 'Connected Car' plan. Almost all AT&T sim cards are now programmed to throttle you once you pass 22GB of data, EXCEPT those sim cards that were originally included with the AT&T ZTE Mobley devices prior to June 2017.

According to this, if you order one from ATT the sim will throttle you after 22 gig. Is this correct on the new devices?
No, that information is simply wrong. The SIM card does not limit data and all units on the Connected Car plan have the same terms, that being unlimited data with the potential of being throttled after 22 GB if the tower in use is congested at the time (and by all reports this occurs very infrequently if at all in the real world.) There is not a hard throttle at 22 GB, regardless of purchase date.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #1281

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
No, that information is simply wrong. The SIM card does not limit data and all units on the Connected Car plan have the same terms, that being unlimited data with the potential of being throttled after 22 GB if the tower in use is congested at the time (and by all reports this occurs very infrequently if at all in the real world.) There is not a hard throttle at 22 GB, regardless of purchase date.
I have never experienced being throttled on mine, since late April when I got mine. I would be interested in hearing from someone that actually has experienced being throttled on the connected car data plan. My suspicion is that no one has. Common sense tells me that no carrier can guarantee high data speeds in every situation. I think they put these 22gig limits in place for those situations where there is extremely high volume of users on a tower such as a special event where there are thousands of people in an area such as a 4th of July fireworks show at a public park. In that situation, they reserve the right to temporarily throttle back the high data users.
I have no facts, just speculation on my part, cause I think that would make sense. Everyone gets all paranoid, saying they don't really mean unlimited, when in fact, the carrier is just covering their a** to protect themselves from law suits by abusers.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #1282

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for all the info..........I think I will go ahead and buy one if I am lucky enough to find one on the ATT website.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #1283

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hate to bust yer bubble but ATT has discontinued offering the $20 mo. unlimited data plan. Due to user abuse so they say, the only other 3 data plans are the same as you can get on your phone or tablet -:(
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #1284

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do I know that? Tried to activate mine today, no unlimited plan of any kind available.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdh1950 View Post
How do I know that? Tried to activate mine today, no unlimited plan of any kind available.
You need to look a little further. If you have a Mobley you can use the BYOD process to activate it on the Connected Car standalone plan, just as before.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attoffer.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	177476  
Old 09-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #1286

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
You need to look a little further. If you have a Mobley you can use the BYOD process to activate it on the Connected Car standalone plan, just as before.

That's good to know because I bought a gently used Mobley with SIM card on eBay today. From the previous post about SIM cards, my understanding is that the SIM card controls the data throttling. I theorized that any new Mobley sold by ATT would be able to be throttled, but the originally produced set can not be. The lack of currently available units is due to ATT wanting no more unlimited unthrottled units out there. I will activate it online for fear that the SIM card might get switched if I took it into a store.

Ok, so did I make a wise choice, or did I just waste $229? (What I paid minus the $99 price when ATT starts selling them again) I'll use the Mobley to replace the $65 (+ fees) unlimited Verison hot spot (that does get throttled) and swap my Verizon cell phone for an ATT home phone. In theory my bill will go from $118/month to $40 plus fees. AND -- I'll have truly unlimited, unthrottled data.

All my fingers and toes are crossed on this one. Oh, and I got a new Yagi directional antenna for my Wilson Sleek that I mounted to a 7 ' tall PVC pipe for when we are parked long term in less optimal cell areas. I made a suction cup mount for the antenna mast for about $12 that works great!

I'll blame you guys if this doesn't work. (not really) I should have all of the hardware next week and will report back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
From the previous post about SIM cards, my understanding is that the SIM card controls the data throttling
I don't know how many ways there are to say it but no, it doesn't.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #1288

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Well I can’t find that particular website, got a link?