Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #3053

Ford Super Duty Owner
newbe here

Got my nighthawk yesterday and both puk codes and devices will connect to the internet. read this thread from page 186 to 205, my eyes are blurry.

The issue i am having is when i use their usb to 120v wall outlet my connection drops. When unplugged from the wall outlet connection resumes. When connected to my laptop via usb good. When running solo from battery, good.

Is there a setting i'm not seeing.

Back to reading
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #3054

Bruce, check to see that the USB or tethering mode is not set for charging only. Then check to make sure the output for the wall charger is 2.4 amps. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #3055

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Bruce, check to see that the USB or tethering mode is not set for charging only. Then check to make sure the output for the wall charger is 2.4 amps. Chuck
usb set for charge + Tether

I'm using the wall charger and usb cord that came with the Nighthawk.

Tried a few other wall chargers and the same as soon as its plugged in lost connection.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
usb set for charge + Tether

I'm using the wall charger and usb cord that came with the Nighthawk.

Tried a few other wall chargers and the same as soon as its plugged in lost connection.

Try another cord. Also try setting the USB to charge only and see if that helps. I suspect this might fix the issue. Make sure wifi standby is disabled. Also disable the ethernet standby. You really need a 5 amp charger no matter what they sent you. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #3057

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just did a factory reset and now i have to go thru the PUK again. Still lost connection when wall charger is used.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #3058

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Just did a factory reset and now i have to go thru the PUK again. Still lost connection when wall charger is used.
I had the same problem,It turned out to be a bad wall charger.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #3059

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wall charger still loses connection

Overnight i let the battery run down to 16%. At 7 this morning i used the wall outlet charger and cord supplied with the NH to see how it charged. As soon as i plugged in i lost connection. Scrolling thru the screens on the NH everything appeared the same as when it was connected.

2 hours later i unplugged the wall charger and it connected back up.

The battery charge was now 65% so it is charging.

I've changed setting as in previous posts getting the same results.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #3060

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Overnight i let the battery run down to 16%. At 7 this morning i used the wall outlet charger and cord supplied with the NH to see how it charged. As soon as i plugged in i lost connection. Scrolling thru the screens on the NH everything appeared the same as when it was connected.

2 hours later i unplugged the wall charger and it connected back up.

The battery charge was now 65% so it is charging.

I've changed setting as in previous posts getting the same results.
The Nighthawk can be used without the battery installed. You might want to see if it will connect without the battery just for the heck of it.

If not I would tend to agree with previous posters who suggested you may have a bad cord and/or charger.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #3061

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The Nighthawk can be used without the battery installed. You might want to see if it will connect without the battery just for the heck of it.

If not I would tend to agree with previous posters who suggested you may have a bad cord and/or charger.

Ordered a few wall charges from amazon, we'll see

Tried removing the battery. NH powered up like it should, no battery, still no connection with netgear charger and several others i had.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #3062
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ordered a few wall charges from amazon, we'll see

Tried removing the battery. NH powered up like it should, no battery, still no connection with netgear charger and several others i had.
I think I would get the Netgear replaced under warranty!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #3063

***This may be important for Nighthawk users.***

Took our first trip since acquiring the new Nighthawk from ebay and had simply transferred the sim from the Unite Explore and was up and running shortly after receving it. Download speeds are up from 20mbps to over 40 and uploads from less than 10 to 20+.

Unfortunately we kept loosing internet connection on this trip and it appeared that it was timing out or going to sleep. I had disabled both the WiFi and the Ethernet standby and couldn't find any more settings that may affect it. I made sure I had a power supply output of 2.5amp and tried it with and without the battery with no joy.

So I started reading back through this thread and came across a tip from another user that said to download the Netgear Mobile app to modify a 'sleep' setting. There are numerous Netgear apps including a Netgear Nighthawk but that's not the correct one. And sure enough, there under 'Settings/WiFi' is one for sleep. Disabled that and testing it now but I'm reasonably confident that will solve it. Why others haven't been experiencing this is a puzzle to me but hopefully any that are will see this post.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #3064
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
***This may be important for Nighthawk users.***

Took our first trip since acquiring the new Nighthawk from ebay and had simply transferred the sim from the Unite Explore and was up and running shortly after receving it. Download speeds are up from 20mbps to over 40 and uploads from less than 10 to 20+.

Unfortunately we kept loosing internet connection on this trip and it appeared that it was timing out or going to sleep. I had disabled both the WiFi and the Ethernet standby and couldn't find any more settings that may affect it. I made sure I had a power supply output of 2.5amp and tried it with and without the battery with no joy.

So I started reading back through this thread and came across a tip from another user that said to download the Netgear Mobile app to modify a 'sleep' setting. There are numerous Netgear apps including a Netgear Nighthawk but that's not the correct one. And sure enough, there under 'Settings/WiFi' is one for sleep. Disabled that and testing it now but I'm reasonably confident that will solve it. Why others haven't been experiencing this is a puzzle to me but hopefully any that are will see this post.
Thanks for the tip! I'll bet that helps a lot of folks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #3065

Monaco Owners Club
How to get better signal

Netgear Mobile
I have been using the mobile and now the Nighthawk,How do I it a better signal in other rooms in my house,It works fine in the moho.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #3066

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
Netgear Mobile
I have been using the mobile and now the Nighthawk,How do I it a better signal in other rooms in my house,It works fine in the moho.
Simply connect the LAN/WAN port of your Nighthawk to the Internet port of any typical household router. The household router will provide the Nighthawk ethernet output to the whole house (depending on the router). Or use a WiFi repeater to repeat the Nighthawk Wifi signal farther, simpler but likely not as fast. Repeaters lose some speed.