Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #1

211z and dish pay as you go

Got the 211z reciever to put in the new to us 2008 Fleetwood Southwind.
Motorhome already had the Winegard Mini Max in motion dome on it.
Called dish to activate, no activation fee, said I could stop and restart any time, unused time of the monthly fee would stay on the books as a credit.
Also had bought a 1 tb seagate portable hard drive from Costco (Seagate 1TB Slim Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive Bundle with Case
Item #880180) for $75.00
Plugged into the USB on the 211z ,called dish back to activate it for $40.00

Works great as a DVR!
Got it all set to go before the World Series game 5 and could pause the game for breaks and skip commercials!

Easy to do!

Mark
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoc View Post
Called dish to activate, no activation fee, said I could stop and restart any time, unused time of the monthly fee would stay on the books as a credit.
Also had bought a 1 tb seagate portable hard drive from Costco (Seagate 1TB Slim Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive Bundle with Case
Item #880180) for $75.00
Plugged into the USB on the 211z ,called dish back to activate it for $40.00

Works great as a DVR!
Got it all set to go before the World Series game 5 and could pause the game for breaks and skip commercials!

Easy to do!

Mark
Hard drive now on sale until 11-1-2014 for $64.99
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoc View Post
Hi Mark,

The different answers one get's from the same company always amazes me. I have the same plan and receiver. I had to fight with them for 3-4 months to stop charging me and then applying late fees - they also told me I had to pay for a month at a time - could not stop in the middle of a month.

Oh well...
Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #4

Same here but because of info found here was able to get my service ended and credit on the books.

As for the equipment referenced by OP, have the same setup, as long as you are recording from Dish it works great, however, if you want to record OTA, you probably will have problems. First you have to get an OTA dongle, then attach your OTA antenna. For me the channel listing doesn't show up, instead, just the channel and time blocked off. If you are able to set up a recording, the result will be pixelated and jerky. Contacted Dish and was never able to fix. I finally went with an OTA TiVo and my own antenna. Much happier.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I hate to say but it's less expensive and much less frustration to have the 211 receiver as a "Second" unit on your account.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

I have a 211z with OTA dongle and DVR (using a Trav'ler antenna), never had a problem with either the hardware or Dish, and in particular the OTA unit is quite sensitive and performs well. You do have to set up the OTA channels properly in the program guide and you do have to use the correct terminology and procedures when you communicate with Dish, but you should have good results if you do and so far I have zero complaints with either the hardware or service.

Regarding problems with Dish customer service, there are many helpful hints scattered through all the threads and it is a very good idea to read them. The general outcome seems to be that if you follow the advice and use the correct terminology then you generally won't have problems and if you just call and expect whoever you talk to in CS to know how to properly service RV accounts... well, results won't be as good.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish