Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #1

$25/month unlimited internet....interested?

For those that spend a lot of time on the road, or those that need the occassional Internet access that is robust. For those that can access cellular towers from Verizon (You don't need to have a cellular service from them). For those that don't want a contract and just pay monthly as needed. For those that can live without having the absolute fastest speeds. Lastly, for those that $40/month with nothing extra fits the budget.....only paying for the months that you actually need it.

I got into something that I can refer and create instructions on how to do, but I don't know if there is interest enough for me to go through the effort. In short, what I was able to put together costs about $190 upfront to buy a few devices. This uses the Verizon cellular network, gives unlimited internet (70Gigs before they adjust for network congestion), no contract, pay monthly as you need it, and can use as many connected devices as you like. In addition, the equipment can be easily modified to extend an existing Wifi, if the signal is weak but there is wifi available (wifi extender), and also connect up directly with a USB modem.

The catch is that this is not for the "noob". If you don't know what that means, you may not want to try this. I'm not trying to become technical support for hundreds as a volunteer. Sorry, I just don't have that kind of spare time on my hands.

If there is enough serious interest, I'll create the equipment list and instruction on setup. I've been using for a month without issue, 9 connected devices, streaming Netflix and Amazon in good rez (locally a Plex server I bring with me), and personally haven't been slowed down (about 5Mbs speed limit).

If you've been in the hunt for something as stated above, please let me know. Enough interest and I'll take the time to create the complete guide. Please don't ask for all of the details on what and how in this thread. It is too much to describe. Just post if you are seriously interested and need this. I'm only offering because I didn't find this option here.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
For those that spend a lot of time on the road, or those that need the occassional Internet access that is robust. For those that can access cellular towers from Verizon (You don't need to have a cellular service from them). For those that don't want a contract and just pay monthly as needed. For those that can live without having the absolute fastest speeds. Lastly, for those that $40/month with nothing extra fits the budget.....only paying for the months that you actually need it.

I got into something that I can refer and create instructions on how to do, but I don't know if there is interest enough for me to go through the effort. In short, what I was able to put together costs about $190 upfront to buy a few devices. This uses the Verizon cellular network, gives unlimited internet (70Gigs before they adjust for network congestion), no contract, pay monthly as you need it, and can use as many connected devices as you like. In addition, the equipment can be easily modified to extend an existing Wifi, if the signal is weak but there is wifi available (wifi extender), and also connect up directly with a USB modem.

The catch is that this is not for the "noob". If you don't know what that means, you may not want to try this. I'm not trying to become technical support for hundreds as a volunteer. Sorry, I just don't have that kind of spare time on my hands.

If there is enough serious interest, I'll create the equipment list and instruction on setup. I've been using for a month without issue, 9 connected devices, streaming Netflix and Amazon in good rez (locally a Plex server I bring with me), and personally haven't been slowed down (about 5Mbs speed limit).

If you've been in the hunt for something as stated above, please let me know. Enough interest and I'll take the time to create the complete guide. Please don't ask for all of the details on what and how in this thread. It is too much to describe. Just post if you are seriously interested and need this. I'm only offering because I didn't find this option here.
Definitely interested.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I'm interested.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
me too
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

I'm in, and thank you for offering!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

sign me up
Old 05-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
interested
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #8

Add one more
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

Absolutely yes. I'm getting ready to throw my WiFi Ranger in a dumpster and buy some new equipment anyway.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #10

Here are the instructions

OK....looks like there are enough people interested. I wrote some instructions this morning. May need your feedback directly on the Doc to know what makes sense or doesn't.

Again, know yourself. If you are a noob (You may be, if you don't know what that term means....Google it) and have to regularly ask others to help you figure out things on the internet or when installing network devices, you may want to have a friend help you. I can't. The instructions I provide are not step-by-step on each and every thing you need to do. Manuals come with the devices. You should know how to navigate an Android phone. You need to be able to read manuals and figure out what they are telling you to do. I'm trying my best not become tech-support for hundreds of RVers around the country for free. Just passing along something I discovered that I feel is perfect for me.

The following is a link to a Google Doc I created. I have given it comment level access for a while. If there is something that doesn't make sense or work as I wrote it, you can highlight some text, right-click and leave a comment. When I feel the document has all questions answered, I may take away that ability in the future and have it only be View-Only access.

Hope you find this as awesome as I did. FYI...I had Cricket Wireless and could consume as much as 170G a month on their unlimited plan, but they recently cancelled my account because I used too much unlimited (I know, doesn't make sense....somebody doesn't understand English well). I'm acutally glad that happened. Now I get off the weak AT&T coverage, pay less a month (was paying $70 at Cricket), and get what I need still. The thing about this option is that the service is very bold in stating clearly that they are honestly unlimited. You might see slowing during times of high congestion after you use 70G, but only cord-cutters streaming lots of Netlix (like we do) will reach that, and you will only notice during the worst times of the day.

Lastly, the cellular service is a pre-paid....no contract. I have not had it long enough to see what happens when I don't pay (because I'm home and don't need it) and then pay to start it up again. They claim it is simple and not problem, but sometimes services like to charge an activation fee. I'm on the road for 7 months, home for a month, road for another 2 months, home for 2 months. I'm hoping that I can pay only for the months I use it and not when home without penalty. They claim that. I haven't done that yet.

I hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interested also, thanks.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #12

Following.

Do you have any experience with the Verizon Jetpack and how it compares to the Visible app? We just set it up at the house with Roku and video quality is poor. Looks like a 6 hour record time on a VHS tape. Definitely not DVD quality. This is on a 55” TV. We’re going to try it in the coach today on a smaller TV.

It’s $70/mo on a monthly, $50/mo with subscription.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Following.

Do you have any experience with the Verizon Jetpack and how it compares to the Visible app? We just set it up at the house with Roku and video quality is poor. Looks like a 6 hour record time on a VHS tape. Definitely not DVD quality. This is on a 55” TV. We’re going to try it in the coach today on a smaller TV.

It’s $70/mo on a monthly, $50/mo with subscription.
Jetpack is more money (almost twice with extra fees and junk). This option is truly $40/month and not a dime more for any kind of fees or taxes. All in: $40/month. No possibility of any extra fees or charges or overages.

Most people don't need the highest possible speeds all the time. Actually, most typical usage is quite slow....web browsing, simple streaming, occasional download. This option is a phone....so you can use it for calls as well. We have AT&T/Cricket on our cell phones, so between these, we have the best coverage in the nation as we can use either AT&T or Verizon at anytime. Cricket also gives me Canada and Mexico when traveling there for no extra cost.

On the Roku, if you purchased a new one, it is 4K quality most likely. Even the older ones (I have one that is 4 years old) look great on my 1080i HD 3D Samsung 54" TV. It is ENTIRELY based on your internet speed. If you have a slow DSL, you will get bad picture quality as the picture is compressed to fit whatever "pipe" you have coming in. If you have 20Mbps or higher (my home in Montana is 100Mbps as the slowest option for cable), you can stream 4K in nearly the same qaulity as watching from a disc player.

Over the past month, using this service on a 1080i TV in our motorhome, the picture is almost always great and full detail.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #14

Sounds like Visible (owned by Verizon) - No Cap - Download speeds are 5 Mbps, Videos are 480p and Music streams at 500 Kbps (though there are ways to get around that for some Video and Music streams).

And, someone has figured out how to use the sim in a Verizon Jetpack 7730l and others
https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...eird_but_cool/

I've been watching him since he first posted about a month ago but have been keeping an eye on the Visible offering for several months.

Good place to keep up on Visible:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/

I personally wouldn't port my number to them (have been issues), I would Port to Google voice, get a new number with Visible and forward calls from Google voice to the new number.

Visible has been going through growing pains but I will be adding a line with the free ZTE phone* (our Samsung S7's are not supported), then I'll move the sim or just use the ZTE hotspot. Will complement our Post Paid Verizon accounts (though I may eventually switch to Visible for phone service to) and the $20 Mobley plan.

*You have to return an old phone that will at least power on. I have a Motorola Bionic I can give up.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet