Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
I've been having an issue where my GL-AR750S seems to stop working if it's been on for a while. I took it apart to do the heat sink addition that was posted many moons ago, but it turned out my router is newer, and a larger heat sink had been added. I tried locating the routing so it would have good airflow, but to no avail.

The other day I stumbled across a small 12V fan in my workshop and decided to see if that would solve the problem. Sure enough, I ran a test over the weekend with the fan directed into the router and never lost connection or speed. (photo attached).

The other issue I have been having is the router isn't keeping my iPhone 6 charged. I bought one of those wonderful USB meter thingys somebody posted about here and have observed the router and phone combination never draw more that 1 amp, regardless of the cable or charger. I noticed that when the router got hot, it stopped charging the phone. Since I put the cooling fan on the router the phone didn't fully charge, but it ran fine for the weekend with only a slight discharge. The difference between just the router plugged in and the phone and router is about .3 amp, so I suspect that's all the router puts out to the phone, which may not be enough to keep the phone charged during heavy use.

I can also attest the 5Mbps hack works. While testing over the weekend I was at a bluegrass festival with a Verizon tower on the field. During the festival the slowest I got was 4.4 Mbps, but mostly around 35 Mbps and when the festival was over, I was getting 40-47 Mbps through the router vs. 91 on my Verizon phone. At home, the Visible service during the week is barely useable. You get what you pay for...

Walt
Walt, have you also tried to turn down the power of the wifi. There are settings near the bottom for each signal on strength. If you set those to only be strong enough to use within the range you need, it will also consume less power and produce less heat. Many do not need it on high. I currently use low or medium and have more than enough for my range of use.
2004 Monaco DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->'21 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel-17KWh LFP BigBatt-/RO-100G/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #2046

Country Coach Owners Club
Do I have a setting wrong?

If I do a speed test on the phone, (iPhone 6) I get 6Mbps download. Speed test from a wifi connected computer will show about Half that.

Is this to be expected?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:40 AM   #2047

Upgrade new Beryl Router from gl-inet

I've been testing the Beryl router from gl-inet for the past couple months. It is just a few bucks more, little faster, takes a little more power, appears to be stable and working well. I've added just a little to the instructions sheet for the setup that is required for that router.

With either of these, I am recommending that you turn down the power settings for the wifi on the router to either Medium or Low. This reduces the power consumed by the router and allows it to provide power to the phone without as much compromise. Especially if you are one of those who finds the router going offline and then back on....this is typically lower power supply, bad USB cable or the router and phone fighting for the power that comes in.

For those coming here for the first time and jumping to the end, you skipped a lot of stuff. Some good. Some bad. A lot could be a waste of time, but you are here because you are interested in a simple solution for UNLIMITED internet for $40. Since the thread was started, currently you can get your monthly expenses down $25 getting a Party Pay. You need to Google that outside of here and not ask someone on this site to join. That appears to be against the rules.

Here is a summary of the thread to hopefully help get what you need to know without having to read it all. If you have the strength and courage of William Wallace….read it all!

(Pages below are only if you are using the default settings for the number of posts per page)
First 5 pages are mostly people saying, "Yes, I want to see that option"
Pages 5-15 were discussion using Jetpack or Pepwave and using different phones (and people still interested) and porting problems (I still don't recommend that you port your number)
Pages 15-60 have discussion about other services, other set-ups, and a lot more complaining that it didn't work and a lot of happy people that is all worked easily following the POST #10. Some tangents and then getting really confusing as to who was talking about what.
Page 60-67 - Uuukkk. Just some banter about the thread getting too long and my desire to try to help those coming in later not be consumed by 1,000 different options and systems and configurations. If the option on POST #10 doesn't work for you, feel free to search the IRV2 site and find a thread that offers different setups and configurations. Many other discussions. Doesn't help this thread to start new topics on different equipment. Please feel free to start a new topic outside of this thread in the forum category.

1) The "solution" is on POST #10. There is an attached Google Doc that is kept up to date and gives a very specific list of equipment to purchase and disclaimers about the service to help set your expectations. The setup will work off of 12v USB in your RV and will allow multiple devices to all be connected to a hotspot. We run this while driving and stream our music on Pandora or Spotity the whole time. Doesn't need 120v to run anything. Please understand that this configuration is suggesting you buy their cheapest phone (get a new phone number for it) and leave it running constantly as your internet service.

2) The service is called Visible (now there is Yahoo, also owned by Verizon and appears to be exactly the same service). It is owned by Verizon and using their towers. Though unlimited internet, the speed fluctuates depending on area or time of day. Some have been using it for a long time and have enough speed to stream TV almost all the time. Others have used it in different areas at different times and NOT had enough speed. If you are looking at this as a permanent solution for your home or stationary RV, there is no way to tell if it will be good in your exact position, but the cost to try is fairly low.

3) If this solution is not the best setup for you, feel free to search for other threads on IRV2 that discuss higher cost and different configuration options. Search for "load balancing" or "high availability" or "redundancy". Plenty of other options. You can still add Visible to those other options. This thread configuration is not about those variations. Many use this setup to stream Netflix or Hulu and can do so all month long without worrying about limits. PLEASE...read and understand the disclaimers on the POST #10 doc before you move forward.

4) Many have had a good and bad experiences using it around the country:
Rough start, but now glad
Followed POST #10 and went well
Setup and running in 30 minutes

Porting problems
Not good service
Not great speeds
Great Speeds

5) Visible doesn't ship to PO Boxes

6) There was a 5Mb download limit, but that was removed. Some experience very high speeds at times. Others stay lower. Most (but not all) seem to be able to stream most of the time (which is the main purpose of unlimited internet for most). Some getting very high speeds. Page 15.

7) Some long ago had problems porting their phone number, but I haven't seen that post in a long time. I switched my neighbor over to Visible just to get a new phone, and it took PagePlus 10 days just to release her number so Visible could activate it. Could be a problem with your previous carrier as well as Visible.

8) Like any cellular service, some get bad support or service. Others had great support and service. Their tech support is only through a chat....no phone to call. Again, reduce your odds of needing to use their support by following the doc on post #10

9) At this time, you can only have one phone and service per account. Little pain in the butt. I opted to create 4 accounts for 4 phones using different emails and payment methods. Not ideal, but I created my own Party Pay. $25/line/month=$100/month for 4 phones each with unlimited data. Phone for me, my wife, full-time internet, and my daughter.

10) This is not a super high-speed service. Many have compared and contrasted the speed using a standard Verizon or AT&T network. This option will most often be slower. Sometimes much slower. If having the highest speed possible is your need, see the header at the top about searching for other threads to help you get what you need.

11) There are discussions about using the SIM chip in Jetpack or other mifi devices. Some worked. Some worked for a time. Seems like some have been using it for a long time. No clarity or certainty. You can try. Just first need to activate their SIM using their App on phones that work with their app. Not all phone are compatible...which is why the instructions on post #10 are suggesting you just get their cheapest phone and not worry about compatibility and avoid tech support.
Pepwave
Jetpack
Getting JetPack to work
Then more to get it to work
Some stopped working

12) Some discussion about the WeBoost signal amplifier to increase your cellular range around page 13-15 (BTW...don't purchase the WeBoost unless signal strength is a common problem for you…adds a lot more work and expense)

So, the skinny....service is great for some and working to their needs and downloading 150-280 GIGs!!!!! a month. Others tried for a short while and could never get acceptable speeds.

Following the instructions on post #10 , most everyone (if they purchased the recommended equipment and followed the instruction) found it easy enough that they didn't need outside help. Some (even myself at times) have had issues with their support chat. Some loved it. Some were ready to kill. I would continue to recommend doing post #10 exactly so you take the cleanest route and most likely won't need their support. Any variation could force you to use their support chat. Hit or miss. Often people try to save $6 and not get a new 12V USB power adapter and then waste a lot of time wondering why it doesn't all work….hint, the power supply you have is not giving you 2.4A output….REQUIRED for the setup.

Some have tried variations. If you live on the internet 24/7 and require high availability all the time, try looking up user "DocJ" and send him a private message. He has options for those that need load-balancing or redundancy. This option and thread is not that. This is a simple option for those that aren't bothered by slower speeds at times but really benefit from a lower monthly cost all the time and want the option of streaming as much as they like, and don't want to try to buy various pieces of random equipment to build a system they don't understand. post #10 is doing that for you and saving you the trouble.

I should mention lastly that if you only need to connect up a single device (only a TV or only a computer….not both at the same time), you could skip everything on post #10 and just buy a phone from Visible for cheap. All of their phones have the HOTSPOT available for at least single connection by default….which is nice since most other providers want more money just to turn that on.

In the end, please read slowly and carefully the attached doc on post #10. If it doesn't seem right for you, I will encourage you to continue the search on IRV2 for other options. This thread is already too long to start new ideas or configurations. If you have an experience to post or questions on the configuration of post #10 , please continue to use this thread as many are still following and glad to help you with the configuration on post #10.
2004 Monaco DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->'21 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel-17KWh LFP BigBatt-/RO-100G/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #2048

Freightliner Owners Club
I have enjoyed using my Beryl router also. I connect with a One Plus 8 through Visible and must say I have had service EVERYWHERE along my travels all year in lots of small towns …..but I rarely go out in the boonies. I watch all the TV I want and burn from 10-15 GB per day. Connection is instantly the moment I turn it on…no need to go into the control panel. Charging was marginal until I reverted to an external 5 watt charger….then it works well. I'm going to try turning down the power per Griff's suggestion. Overall, I highly recommend it.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #2049

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I went to a Beryl, too. I just read the post from Photopilot about attaching a fan to the Slate. Makes sense, but too late for me. I still have the router, but I'm not using it. For a couple of bucks more, I'll stay with the Beryl. It hasn't given me any troubles in the month or two that I have had it.
Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM   #2050

I recently purchased the Beryl router and it has been working great. I did the VPN 5MB speed limit hack and that worked great also.

I checked the Yahoo mobile service and it is no longer available.
https://www.yahoomobile.com/
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet