Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #2185

The first section (comply with FCC regs, certified for use on network) is boilerplate that is in every agreement for any carrier or plan, but the second part explicitly banning use as a broadband replacement is new. I guess they added that, not surprisingly.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 AM   #2186

As far as band switching on the Blade X1, when it first came out, under Settings, Network Preferences, you were able to choose 5G, or 4G/LTE. After an update last year, now the same setting has been changed to 5G/LTE only, no options. Where I am now, I know exactly where the Verizon towers are. If I drive into town, I pick up a 5G signal. This signal stays on the phone when I return, even though there is a stronger Verizon 4G tower nearby. Only airplane mode switching gets me the 4G tower. Now that's all minor stuff, as the difference in data speed is minimal, and most times the 5G signal has both a lower ping and a higher speed. But, the 4G signal is rock solid and never wavers, whereas the 5G signal is all over the place. 4G is on band 13, 5G is on band 66.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:43 PM   #2187

I have had my visible a7 phone set up like post 10 advised and have had really good results until the last couple of weeks. Now it is either turning the phone off where I have to sign back in and reset the hotspot and usb tethering to the router, or it just drops the usb tethering and I have to manually reset it to usb tethering.

I used to get about a month or so before the wifi hotspot would somehow turn itself off. Now I may get a day, but more likely a few hours before it somehow turns itself off.

I also did the phone hack suggested earlier where it was supposed to use usb tethering as the default.

The hotspot phone stays in the MH and is always connected to 2 micro air thermostats, a govee temp alarm, and lastly a reolink camera.

Besides switching to airplane mode which I will do when it turns off again any other suggestions to why this is happening and how to fix the connectivity problem.

I am going to be leaving in it for a short trip tomorrow and do not want to fight this all weekend.

Thanks for any insight, and dumbing it down is ok as I am not the most tech saavy out there.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:57 AM   #2188

I purchased a Visible SIM for the $25/mo party pay. I did not have a phone to activate it so I ended up buying the Blaze A3 for $50. Got it all working.
Then I installed it in a Pepwave MAX BR1 LTEA Router.
https://mobilemusthave.com/collectio...-100mb-support

I figured why spend $240 on a decent phone and $76 on the router when I could spend $50 on activation phone and $350 on a better router. It took a little fussing, but Mobile Must Haves had instructions for set-up of the Visible SIM in a Pepwave router and I got everything working. I have been using it around the house for a few days. Visisble is not the fastest and sometimes the initial site loading is slow, but once established it surfs pretty well or as expected.

So for an additional $84 I got a better quality dual sim router capable of an external antenna. My Plan is to add the Parsec antenna for better reception. If I decide the Visible network is not working for my needs I can add another carrier SIM or swap or swap out the Visible for someone else. Another nice feature of Visible is the prepay allows you to turn it on and off, so in my case we have two long trips but can turn the plan off for the other 6 months.

Happy so far.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #2189

To follow up on my earlier post, I found that my problem was with the router not actually charging the phone. The phone would indicate that it was charging, but would actually be loosing charge slowly over time. When It got to 0 the phone would cut off.

I got around this on my trip by charging the phone on another line away from the router, then hooking it back up as needed.

I bought another router earlier when the first one started giving me trouble and the second was on sale. Switched them out today and new router charges the phone. I guess the moral is don't believe it when it indicates it is charging, verify it by checking every few minutes. Hopefully this will last me for a while longer as it is still meeting my needs, ie some computer use, streaming TV, and assuring the dogs are safe.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #2190

What router did you replace it with? If it's another GL-Inet travel router, you may see the same problem. When I contacted GL-Inet, the response I got from the "engineer" was essentially - Yeah, we know the routers won't even keep a cell phone charged. We'll MAYBE improve the pass-through in some future new version.

On all of my routers, REGARDLESS of the USB adapter output capability, the router never sends more than .4A to the phone, and that drops off to .17A then zero very quickly. Eventually the phone(s) go dead if they're doing anything.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #2191

It was another GL-Nlet, exact same model. This one already seems light years ahead of the last, so maybe I got a decent one this time. I have had this one sitting in the box for a year or so. If it dies I will be going in another direction, but right now everything is working as it should.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
There really isn't going to be any noticeable speed difference if you are using wifi Hotspot or the tethering. In fact, in some cases, the wifi connection may be more stable for the router. At times, I have noticed that the tethering setup on the router can cause sporadic disconnect/reconnects.
Back in February, I had posted that when a webpage changed or updated, we often got the following message:

Your connection was interrupted

A network change was detected

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

I wanted to report that a week ago I followed gsgriffin's advice above and untethered the phone, setting up the router to connect to the phone through wifi instead. The connection error messages have stopped. Thanks for the info!

Susan
Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #2193

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Back in February, I had posted that when a webpage changed or updated, we often got the following message:

Your connection was interrupted

A network change was detected

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

I wanted to report that a week ago I followed gsgriffin's advice above and untethered the phone, setting up the router to connect to the phone through wifi instead. The connection error messages have stopped. Thanks for the info!

Susan
Thanks for the report. It does help others to know what has worked for them.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #2194

FYI, at Thousand Trails Orlando, around the rec. center Visible is 15-20M d/l. But... out at the Publix supermarket, 1/2 mile away, its 5G at 285M.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #2195

Visible is great in some places.

Here at my temporary home for the last year or so in Kingwood, Texas, suburb of Houston, it's usually quite a useable about 25 Mbps. At the Kingwood town center a mile or so away it's usually a pretty much unusable 1 Mpbs or less.

In Corrigan, TX, a small place about an hour from here ... wow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220410-125837.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	361995  
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #2196

I'm interested.
JMSCTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:42 PM   #2197

It's 5 Mbps where I live.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:31 PM   #2198

Recap of everything

For those coming here for the first time and jumping to the end, you skipped a lot of stuff. Some good. Some bad. A lot could be a waste of time, but you are here because you are interested in a simple solution for UNLIMITED internet for $40. Since the thread was started, currently you can get your monthly expenses down $25 getting a Party Pay. You need to Google that outside of here and not ask someone on this site to join. That appears to be against the rules.

Here is a summary of the thread to hopefully help get what you need to know without having to read it all. If you have the strength and courage of William Wallace….read it all!

(Pages below are only if you are using the default settings for the number of posts per page)
First 5 pages are mostly people saying, "Yes, I want to see that option"
Pages 5-15 were discussion using Jetpack or Pepwave and using different phones (and people still interested) and porting problems (I still don't recommend that you port your number)
Pages 15-60 have discussion about other services, other set-ups, and a lot more complaining that it didn't work and a lot of happy people that is all worked easily following the POST #10. Some tangents and then getting really confusing as to who was talking about what.
Page 60-67 - Uuukkk. Just some banter about the thread getting too long and my desire to try to help those coming in later not be consumed by 1,000 different options and systems and configurations. If the option on POST #10 doesn't work for you, feel free to search the IRV2 site and find a thread that offers different setups and configurations. Many other discussions. Doesn't help this thread to start new topics on different equipment. Please feel free to start a new topic outside of this thread in the forum category.

1) The "solution" is on POST #10. There is an attached Google Doc that is kept up to date and gives a very specific list of equipment to purchase and disclaimers about the service to help set your expectations. The setup will work off of 12v USB in your RV and will allow multiple devices to all be connected to a hotspot. We run this while driving and stream our music on Pandora or Spotity the whole time. Doesn't need 120v to run anything. Please understand that this configuration is suggesting you buy their cheapest phone (get a new phone number for it) and leave it running constantly as your internet service.

2) The service is called Visible (now there is Yahoo, also owned by Verizon and appears to be exactly the same service). It is owned by Verizon and using their towers. Though unlimited internet, the speed fluctuates depending on area or time of day. Some have been using it for a long time and have enough speed to stream TV almost all the time. Others have used it in different areas at different times and NOT had enough speed. If you are looking at this as a permanent solution for your home or stationary RV, there is no way to tell if it will be good in your exact position, but the cost to try is fairly low.

3) If this solution is not the best setup for you, feel free to search for other threads on IRV2 that discuss higher cost and different configuration options. Search for "load balancing" or "high availability" or "redundancy". Plenty of other options. You can still add Visible to those other options. This thread configuration is not about those variations. Many use this setup to stream Netflix or Hulu and can do so all month long without worrying about limits. PLEASE...read and understand the disclaimers on the POST #10 doc before you move forward.

4) Many have had a good and bad experiences using it around the country:
Rough start, but now glad
Followed POST #10 and went well
Setup and running in 30 minutes

Porting problems
Not good service
Not great speeds
Great Speeds

5) Visible doesn't ship to PO Boxes

6) There was a 5Mb download limit, but that was removed. Some experience very high speeds at times. Others stay lower. Most (but not all) seem to be able to stream most of the time (which is the main purpose of unlimited internet for most). Some getting very high speeds. Page 15.

7) Some long ago had problems porting their phone number, but I haven't seen that post in a long time. I switched my neighbor over to Visible just to get a new phone, and it took PagePlus 10 days just to release her number so Visible could activate it. Could be a problem with your previous carrier as well as Visible.

8) Like any cellular service, some get bad support or service. Others had great support and service. Their tech support is only through a chat....no phone to call. Again, reduce your odds of needing to use their support by following the doc on post #10

9) At this time, you can only have one phone and service per account. Little pain in the butt. I opted to create 4 accounts for 4 phones using different emails and payment methods. Not ideal, but I created my own Party Pay. $25/line/month=$100/month for 4 phones each with unlimited data. Phone for me, my wife, full-time internet, and my daughter.

10) This is not a super high-speed service. Many have compared and contrasted the speed using a standard Verizon or AT&T network. This option will most often be slower. Sometimes much slower. If having the highest speed possible is your need, see the header at the top about searching for other threads to help you get what you need.

11) There are discussions about using the SIM chip in Jetpack or other mifi devices. Some worked. Some worked for a time. Seems like some have been using it for a long time. No clarity or certainty. You can try. Just first need to activate their SIM using their App on phones that work with their app. Not all phone are compatible...which is why the instructions on post #10 are suggesting you just get their cheapest phone and not worry about compatibility and avoid tech support.
Pepwave
Jetpack
Getting JetPack to work
Then more to get it to work
Some stopped working

12) Some discussion about the WeBoost signal amplifier to increase your cellular range around page 13-15 (BTW...don't purchase the WeBoost unless signal strength is a common problem for you…adds a lot more work and expense)

So, the skinny....service is great for some and working to their needs and downloading 150-280 GIGs!!!!! a month. Others tried for a short while and could never get acceptable speeds.

Following the instructions on post #10 , most everyone (if they purchased the recommended equipment and followed the instruction) found it easy enough that they didn't need outside help. Some (even myself at times) have had issues with their support chat. Some loved it. Some were ready to kill. I would continue to recommend doing post #10 exactly so you take the cleanest route and most likely won't need their support. Any variation could force you to use their support chat. Hit or miss. Often people try to save $6 and not get a new 12V USB power adapter and then waste a lot of time wondering why it doesn't all work….hint, the power supply you have is not giving you 2.4A output….REQUIRED for the setup.

Some have tried variations. If you live on the internet 24/7 and require high availability all the time, try looking up user "DocJ" and send him a private message. He has options for those that need load-balancing or redundancy. This option and thread is not that. This is a simple option for those that aren't bothered by slower speeds at times but really benefit from a lower monthly cost all the time and want the option of streaming as much as they like, and don't want to try to buy various pieces of random equipment to build a system they don't understand. post #10 is doing that for you and saving you the trouble.

I should mention lastly that if you only need to connect up a single device (only a TV or only a computer….not both at the same time), you could skip everything on post #10 and just buy a phone from Visible for cheap. All of their phones have the HOTSPOT available for at least single connection by default….which is nice since most other providers want more money just to turn that on.

In the end, please read slowly and carefully the attached doc on post #10. If it doesn't seem right for you, I will encourage you to continue the search on IRV2 for other options. This thread is already too long to start new ideas or configurations. If you have an experience to post or questions on the configuration of post #10 , please continue to use this thread as many are still following and glad to help you with the configuration on post #10.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet