Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #2227

Just FWIW the 'one device' hotspot limitation only seems to apply to the Visible low-end phones. IPhones and many of the higher-end Android phones (Pixel, Samsung, etc.) have no such limitation. That said, many like to use a router just for convenience.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 06:30 AM   #2228

Morning GSGRIFFIN.... Well, it seems that no matter how many years you have been using something there is always more to learn... With this thread I have explored and learned so much about our Cell phones and service... some good some bad.

Years back we were put on a Verizon Sr. 55+ loyalty plan for our cell phones which gives us Unlimited Talk, Text and data.... In the past I've never explored tethering or even a hotspot because we have mostly used our devices at home on our home wifi (which is 400mbs service) and when we would travel we would just use our cellphones individually (my wife and I both have the service separately) with all the abover features. Since reading this thread and before we went out on our 3 day venture I figured I'd take my tablet along with me and tether it to my cell data plan... and, it works for both Wifi and Bluetooth) but then I noticed the speeds no matter what we used or hooked up was capped at the 600kbs and pretty much useless even to search the internet with chrome..... We were in a terrible location and lucky to get 3 bars so I originally thought that was the culprit but after doing more research I came to the conclusion it is the Data cap at 600 and that is what made me look further.... with my plan I can't even add a JetPac... I don't know if anyone else out here has the same issue but it really pissed me off.... at first I could not get any answer from Verizon at all, after finally going to the store and asking the guy there showed me and said that 600 is all your going to get with the phone! My guess it does not matter what phone you get with my plan it's stuck there. On running speed test on the phone I'm getting a full 50-60 mb/s so the equipment was not the problem. Oh Well,

So, next following your post #10 I have been looking at our options (keeping in mind, we are not full time, just a few trips locally). per our past discussions I did look at the Blaze A3prime and the Blaze A7 prime for $20 more has some nice features. In looking at the router... both listed for the few dollars more I'd probably go with the more expensive one. I guess my question now if I wanted to add a cell antenna I could use the weboost cradle, set the blaze in it and it then would give the phone a better signal and other devices on the router would benefit? How does that set up sound? I could try it for a while and I guess if I don't end up using it I could sell the package as a discount :-) Thanks again
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #2229

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just FWIW the 'one device' hotspot limitation only seems to apply to the Visible low-end phones. IPhones and many of the higher-end Android phones (Pixel, Samsung, etc.) have no such limitation. That said, many like to use a router just for convenience.
Smiller, You may have seen my posts but on Verizon (not Visible) it seems like the data cap is 600 kps and that is pretty much across the lines, from what I can see they are also limited to 1 device.... on some plans they may allow adding "Hotspot usage" but the plan we have I can't even add a jet pack ... I'd have to purchase a Jetpack and data service separately which is crazy expensive)

I've looked at the options for Visible phones they don't tell the complete specs on what you can and can't do, even on the more expensive phones... but I'm not looking to spend $500 $1000 on another phone for this task... just not in the plans.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:21 AM   #2230

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It may be financially beneficial to port a number but it doesn't have to be one you've used in the past. Just buy a Ting SIM on Amazon for $1, activate it on Ting for $10 (their cheapest plan), then port that number the same day to Visible. Porting out closes the Ting account, so no future charges.

That qualified me for a $50 gift card offer when I bought a new Motorola one 5G UW Ace on sale to use as a dedicated hotspot. Net cost, $51. ($90 - $50 gift card + $11 for Ting SIM and acct.)

Wow, after reading this post I went and looked at the phone you bought and today's cheapest price on Visual is $240 .... no deals... so I have to say you got an unbelievable deal! Did you say you bought the phone on Amazon? I can not find anywhere near that deal today....
Old 05-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Wow, after reading this post I went and looked at the phone you bought and today's cheapest price on Visual is $240 .... no deals... so I have to say you got an unbelievable deal! Did you say you bought the phone on Amazon? I can not find anywhere near that deal today....
You need to sort by price low-to-high. Their cheapest phone is $50.
https://www.visible.com/shop/smartph...e/?sku=Z5157VP
Tom_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #2232

Tom, thanks for the reply... I was actually commenting on an earlier post 2206 where the poster bought a very nice Motorola at an excellent price and I commented that he got a great price compared to any prices for the same phone today... I have looked at the $50 phone on Visible, it' is quite a good deal. I posted his quote for reference along with mine I guess.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:36 AM   #2233

Recently signed up with Visible

I'm cheap and I've been lucky. I have never paid for a phone. I got a Moto G with my sign up. I ported the number no problem. I've had to use it for internet a few times. It took a little bit, to figure it out, but after that, NP. Not super fast, but enough to watch vids. At the rate Starlink is putting those little buggers in orbit it's going to be available nationwide soon. 👍
Libra8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra8 View Post
I'm cheap and I've been lucky. I have never paid for a phone. I got a Moto G with my sign up. I ported the number no problem. I've had to use it for internet a few times. It took a little bit, to figure it out, but after that, NP. Not super fast, but enough to watch vids. At the rate Starlink is putting those little buggers in orbit it's going to be available nationwide soon. 👍
Well, if you are that cheap, the Starlink price should startle you
richj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #2235

Traveling up the East Coast lately, whenever I do a speed test on my Blade, Visible phone, it always pings the local Verizon tower. When I do the speedtest on my laptop, tethered to the Gli router, it always goes somewhere out in Kansas. What up with that?
Old 05-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
Traveling up the East Coast lately, whenever I do a speed test on my Blade, Visible phone, it always pings the local Verizon tower. When I do the speedtest on my laptop, tethered to the Gli router, it always goes somewhere out in Kansas. What up with that?
That is a little confusing. The local cell towers you access do not all directly connect to the Internet. Cellular companies have a vast array of communication networks outside of the Internet and they can choose where to connect back into the Internet. For Visible/Verizon, Kansas is one (or the main one?). I get that as well while down here in New Mexico for the winter.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #2237

Quote:
Tom, thanks for the reply... I was actually commenting on an earlier post 2206 where the poster bought a very nice Motorola at an excellent price and I commented that he got a great price compared to any prices for the same phone today... I have looked at the $50 phone on Visible, it' is quite a good deal. I posted his quote for reference along with mine I guess.
Just to confirm...the instructions attached to POST #10 are still valid and working and will get you the internet for multiple devices and unlimited Internet (many use it to 150GB+/month when streaming a lot) all for $25/month when you join the Party Pay. All is still working, but some areas it works fast and well. Other more congested areas people find the speeds to be very slow. Unfortunately, no way to know, but the buy-in cost is about as low as you can get.

For some who are not in a hurry, I might suggest you just get a phone on Visible, join the party, enter the code on the instructions on POST #10 to get the first month for $5, and test the speed. You can directly connect the phone to your computer or use it as a hotspot. Test speeds. See how it is working for you. Not well? Throw it all away and cancel. Working well enough? Buy the router and set it to share with other devices you have.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 05-22-2022, 04:55 AM   #2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
Just to confirm...the instructions attached to POST #10 are still valid and working and will get you the internet for multiple devices and unlimited Internet (many use it to 150GB+/month when streaming a lot) all for $25/month when you join the Party Pay. All is still working, but some areas it works fast and well. Other more congested areas people find the speeds to be very slow. Unfortunately, no way to know, but the buy-in cost is about as low as you can get.

For some who are not in a hurry, I might suggest you just get a phone on Visible, join the party, enter the code on the instructions on POST #10 to get the first month for $5, and test the speed. You can directly connect the phone to your computer or use it as a hotspot. Test speeds. See how it is working for you. Not well? Throw it all away and cancel. Working well enough? Buy the router and set it to share with other devices you have.
Thanks GS for all the help and work you have put in to this thread, I am learning and exploring... In looking at the different posts I have to say, right now I am also dealing with low signal from the Verizon towers, we are out in the country somewhat and even Verizon said my signal is low... but of course they don't have any plans to add more towers in the area at this point. Your idea of just getting the phone and the $5.00 month test... that is a great idea. it is just finding the time to get the phone and sign up... since we have been back home we have run in to some issues that need taken care of, once I do that I"ll jump back on the hookup. By the way I am also looking at the Antenna issue ... that may be step 2 for now... Thanks for all your help...
Old 05-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #2239

Quote:
Thanks GS for all the help and work you have put in to this thread, I am learning and exploring... In looking at the different posts I have to say, right now I am also dealing with low signal from the Verizon towers, we are out in the country somewhat and even Verizon said my signal is low... but of course they don't have any plans to add more towers in the area at this point. Your idea of just getting the phone and the $5.00 month test... that is a great idea. it is just finding the time to get the phone and sign up... since we have been back home we have run in to some issues that need taken care of, once I do that I"ll jump back on the hookup. By the way I am also looking at the Antenna issue ... that may be step 2 for now... Thanks for all your help...
You're very welcome.

If you try the phone only option and have weak signal, you may want to try getting closer to the tower and testing your speeds...several times a day, but in the country, you have a better chance (often) of not having congestion on the tower be as much of a problem. Evenings around metro areas can often be a slow down.

The free Android App of "Cell Info lite" is a good resource and has a map to show you were the towers are. Sometimes it is off and the towers are not there, but...you can try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

If the antenna on the phone is not strong enough for where you are, the WeBoost option explained on Post #10 doc will make a difference, but that is a lot more money to invest. Then the router is a little more.

If keeping the budget low is the most important aspect, then this is still one of the better options, if the speed is enough for you. The alternative, which is more expensive to start and more per month and requires a clear sky view...is Starlink. Please visit the thread linked below for a discussion on installation and use for RVers. It is just now getting exciting as on June 3rd, Starlink is finally and officially making available "Portability", which will allow RVers to easily roam the continent.

Starlink RV installation and use
Old 05-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #2240

This is my first time ever posting on a forum anywhere! I have read most all of this thread. Is the current thinking to go with the Blade X1 5G phone for the better antennas? Would it really matter if we added the WeBoost? We have a 25' class C RV on the MB Sprinter chassis. We would like to be able to use multiple devices and stream video.

1. Get the Blade X1 5G and Beryll router only?
2. Get the lowest price phone and router and the add the Weboost?

What currently available Weboost package would be best for our RV? We would like access while we are driving because we seem to hop around quite a bit.

Thanks!
Lunker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet