Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
How long does it take to get a phone and sim card from Visible. Planning a trip in ~3 weeks, is that enough time??
I'm sure 3 weeks is plenty of time. I haven't bought a phone from Visible but SIMs are shipped overnight by FedEx. You need to be there to sign when FedEx arrives or I think you can put a notice on your door or something but it is a "signature required" package.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #2662
WVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I'm sure 3 weeks is plenty of time. I haven't bought a phone from Visible but SIMs are shipped overnight by FedEx. You need to be there to sign when FedEx arrives or I think you can put a notice on your door or something but it is a "signature required" package.
Usually w/i 24hrs.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:55 AM   #2663

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone use their phone both for a Hotspot and a phone plan??

I currently have T-Mobile, which in our area sucks. So having another phone that doubles as both a hotspot and a phone would be beneficial.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:50 AM   #2664

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

I currently have T-Mobile, which in our area sucks. So having another phone that doubles as both a hotspot and a phone would be beneficial.
I've used my phone a few times as the hotspot as well as using it as a phone.

Seemed to work okay.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:47 PM   #2665

We did that last winter in Parker, AZ - campground was very poor with T - Mobile, so used the Visible Blaze 5g for main cell, then web in the evening after the calls died down. Worked well. I plan to have a second line moved to either Verizon or Visible before next winter.
Beemermcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #2666

Quote:
How long does it take to get a phone and sim card from Visible. Planning a trip in ~3 weeks, is that enough time??
I think mine showed up in a couple of days when 8 signed on several months ago with the ZTE phone. I think it took Amazon a little longer to deliver the Beryl router.

And a month or so ago, Visible needed to send a new SIM card - and like AT&T has been in the past, SIM’s are overnighted.

Follow Post #10 to the letter. Being a male - who needs instructions! But every time I think the plan is a bad idea, I go back to gsgriffins instructions and find something I didn’t do exactly right.

Between that, and having to learn the Android OS - any issues if had are of my own doing.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:10 AM   #2667

Quote:

I have had Visible for 4 years. It's my only phone and my only source for internet. It has worked great.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #2668

Monaco Owners Club
OK,
I did some checking this AM. I have an Iphone 8, it is unlocked.
On the Visible website it says my phone will work and that I can transfer my number and I watched a video that explained it.

So I guess I'll give it a try, I'll go ahead and get the plant and the necessary equipment.

The phone is only a LTE speed but that's what I'm receiving with my Nighthawk at home and it does fine. Does anyone use a booster, if so which model. I had a Wilson booster but it was only good for 3G. Going to have to upgrade. I may try my first trip without it but want to start researching.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:41 AM   #2669

I’ve been using the Visible SIM in my Pepwave router for two years flawlessly. Earlier in the year I had to get a new SIM for their new plans and since then I can’t get it working in the router. Hot Spot works fine. Anyone experience this? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2023, 06:27 AM   #2670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
I’ve been using the Visible SIM in my Pepwave router for two years flawlessly. Earlier in the year I had to get a new SIM for their new plans and since then I can’t get it working in the router. Hot Spot works fine. Anyone experience this? Thanks!
Visible started out with an APN of VSBLINTERNET. With the new plan it is now VZWINTERNET. You most likely will have to change the APN for the Pepwave router.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:00 AM   #2671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
Visible started out with an APN of VSBLINTERNET. With the new plan it is now VZWINTERNET. You most likely will have to change the APN for the Pepwave router.
Just to support what @Tom_M said. I too am running the new, upgraded Visible SIM in my Pepwave Max Transit CAT-18 Router. The only thing I had to change was the APN.

It did take several minutes to connect the first time, but I did see a bump in performance. . . at least sitting in my driveway.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #2672

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Just to support what @Tom_M said. I too am running the new, upgraded Visible SIM in my PepLink router. The only thing I had to change was the APN.

It did take several minutes to connect the first time, but I did see a bump in performance. . . at least sitting in my driveway.
For those of you running a sim card in a Pepwave router are you seeing the 5mb throttle speed cap?
Old 06-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
For those of you running a sim card in a Pepwave router are you seeing the 5mb throttle speed cap?
First let me say, sitting in my driveway I am in a fringe area so cell reception isn't always the best.

With that said, I went from 5mb down (avg) to 10mb (avg) just by changing the SIM. That was a one time test right after installing the new SIM. Who knows . . . with continued use they might start choking me down to 5mb, but even with the old SIM, and good cell reception, I had seen speeds up around 25 to 30Mbps. Which is plenty for everything I do.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
One more thing. If I had to guess, I would say the usage is "Managed". That is, if the band width is available, I'll get faster speeds. If not, I'm limitted to 5mb (+/-). That's how it's been on the old SIM. The New, Upgraded SIM will require some more "in-service" time.

Tags
internet