RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #1415

Yes, there are multiple reasons for maybe splurging and getting something beyond the cheapest phone possible:

1. Probably faster LTE modem.

2. In many cases no 1-connection limit in hotspot mode.

3. Most mid-line and above phones these days support eSIM which makes it easy and inexpensive to purchase data on-the-fly on an alternate carrier if you do find yourself in a VZ domestic roaming area for an extended time (an infrequent-if-ever occurrence for most, but possible) or if you need temporary service in Canada, Mexico, or any other international location. eSIM allows for maintaining backup service for little or no recurring cost per month.

So instead of buying a new cheapie phone maybe look at a used unbranded Pixel 3/4 or iPhone and bring it to Visible. You might not spend much more but end up with a much more flexible setup.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #1416

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it was an iPhone 6s we have on Visible. My iPhone 11 Pro MAX is still on Verizon, so it worked on roaming.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #1417

I don't imagine I would, but just out of curiosity...

Is the iPhone 6S being talked about a plain, low memory, ordinary 6S or does it have to be some variant that makes it cost more than $75? 'Cause if it's a bone stock, basic 16 GB 6S, it might be worth getting one to see if it works significantly better than the Blade A7 Prime I'm using...
Old 10-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #1418

Mine is a 6S with 64GB of memory. It was originally used on Verizon.
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I don't imagine I would, but just out of curiosity...

Is the iPhone 6S being talked about a plain, low memory, ordinary 6S or does it have to be some variant that makes it cost more than $75? 'Cause if it's a bone stock, basic 16 GB 6S, it might be worth getting one to see if it works significantly better than the Blade A7 Prime I'm using...
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #1419

6s 16Gig former Verizon

6s also. Been streaming for 3 months solid. Weak cell signals will drop out occasionally, but otherwise ok.
Pepperell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #1420

Quite happy with Visible. They said my old Samsung S7 would not work but it did with the SIM from the ZTE Blade they sold me. So contact Ed support, they gave me a dummy IMEI then sent another SIM via FedEx.

Thought that was silly having only a sim in the FedEx envelope but whatever, it works.

Now setting up a remote camera system at my new home using cellular.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Thought that was silly having only a sim in the FedEx envelope but whatever, it works.
Visible is working on eSIM support, which would be great for a number of reasons. They haven't provided a date but said that it was in testing and hinted it might be available by the end of the year.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #1422

Iphone 6s here also with Visible.... works perfect for me.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #1423

Griff couple things i would add for the advanced user:

I setup the android phone to automatically tether upon connection. In the event of a power outage i would have to do the tether again. This eliminates this need.

You have to enable developer options on the phone most your clicking many times on the build number under about option in settings.

Then you goto to system ---developer options---USB default config----USB tethering

this automatically starts USB tethering upon connection or in my case loss of power to the device.

My motorhome already has inverter for 120 volt power to many plugs so having the 12volt version of the power pack would not be needed in most uses for myself.

On my version hotspot is see about 25 meg with this configuration it seems to average around 10meg on the same towers. I would definitely say a very good alternative solution for hotspot
Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #1424

cheaper Router?

Hi Folks,
I purchased a ZTE Blade from Visible. Cheapest option at the time.
Tried to use an old travel router I had laying around. Seemed to be partially bricked so gave up after a couple of hours.
Instead of the Router recommended by the OP, I went with the cheapest router made be the same manufacture that claimed tethering support.

Reasons I wanted to try it...
1 Cost. Only $20.00
2. Power - Seem like the router recommended by the OP was designed for a larger area. My coach is barely the size of a hotel room, so the cheapest travel router should be able to handle the space. This of course reduces heat and saves on battery life. This was a larger consideration than the cost.
3. Simplicity.

Here is what I purchased from Amazon:
GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router(Mango)
I didn't include the URL because it was WAY to big.

Results:
The ZTE phone has not gotten more than 2.5Mbs at my home or one camping trip. Might be usable. My Verizon iphone SE only gets about 4.3Mbs at home, so I am not surprised it is lower.
The Mango router set up easily. Tested it with two devices connected wirelessly. Performed nicely.

I will update if anything turns out different that what I have represented above.
GordSClemnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #1425

I'm having problems with my GL-Net AR450S router. Connect to Visible is OK, connect to my laptop via ethernet is OK. All the other Devices in my network connect then drop, then connect again etc. I can't get any devices to stay connected wirelessly. I haven't changed anything.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #1426

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is your tethering turning itself off? I had an issue with the ZTE phone that I got from Visible and just did a factory reset and it is working good now.

Jim
Old 10-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #1427
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlakegaston View Post
Is your tethering turning itself off? I had an issue with the ZTE phone that I got from Visible and just did a factory reset and it is working good now.
I use my ZTE phone "tethered" by WiFi because of the same issue.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
I'm having problems with my GL-Net AR450S router. Connect to Visible is OK, connect to my laptop via ethernet is OK. All the other Devices in my network connect then drop, then connect again etc. I can't get any devices to stay connected wirelessly. I haven't changed anything.
This is a common symptom of the amperage input to the device being too low. Perhaps using a lower powered input (not the one recommended on POST #10) or the one you are using is beginning to fail. The symptom you stated is exactly what I and others have experienced with "under powered"
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC-Allison 3000/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc->Surface Pro 3/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->GMC Jimmy-4/Trojan L16H-AC HseBatt (900Ahr/20hr/12v)/RO
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet