Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven880 View Post
As I understand it the less expensive older phones don't have MIMO which would affect your hotspot or phone data speeds. Newer phones would have MIMO. We got a Moto G7 from Visible and it does not have MIMO. Just something to look into before you buy?
If you're using Visible as a hotspot, I think the 5 Mbps hotspot throttle will limit the speed long before lack of MIMO does.

I just bought a Moto G Power from Amazon and it's working very well on Visible. I'm not sure if it has MIMO or not or how much different it is to the G7. There seems to be lots of similarly named models. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Motoro...7-ADF6A7EDD190 I'm very happy with it for $179.99. I've never had a really expensive smartphone so I'm not sure what more I would get from one.

I see great speeds directly on the phone at off-peak times. Sometimes 150 Mbps.

By the way, in the last week or so, Visible have put the 5 Mbps throttle back on the hotspot speed. It was unofficially absent for a long time.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #1514

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Buying a new expensive phone might not have any effect on Visible Hotspots. I've pretty much confirmed the 5Mbs Throttle. If I use Pda-net as a Hotspot on my Visible phone, I can get 15-20M D/L, but as soon as I switch back to normal on phone Hotspot, it's 5M again.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Buying a new expensive phone might not have any effect on Visible Hotspots. I've pretty much confirmed the 5Mbs Throttle. If I use Pda-net as a Hotspot on my Visible phone, I can get 15-20M D/L, but as soon as I switch back to normal on phone Hotspot, it's 5M again.
I've been doing the same with EasyTether and my Raspberry Pi project I described elsewhere on this forum.

I get similar results. 20 Mbps or so max. That's much better than 5 but still way below what I often get on the device itself. I've spent more time than I want to admit to fiddling with settings around that but can't get it much better. Maybe it's a limitation of how the likes of EasyTether, Pda-net etc use the USB port.

My next little techie project is to see if I can reduce or stop the charging current into the phone while the USB is plugged in to avoid continually overcharging the battery. Some phones seem to be smart enough to avoid that and some aren't.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #1516
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post

They are for sure throttling hotspots to 5mbps now. I was getting 15-20 and for the last week or so it shows fast then drops to 5mbps. This is using my 8800l and the MOFI. I tried the sim in my MOFI with various setting and it doesn't bypass the hotspot limit. They must be looking at the device instead of the ttl settings. I'll be trying tethering from my iphone to the mofi and see how that does soon.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #1517

I just checked mine and I'm getting 4.99 down on hotspot. But, that's all the speed I need. Happy
Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #1518
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
True that 5Mbps is fine for most uses but the psychology of that number makes it hard to accept lol.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #1519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
They are for sure throttling hotspots to 5mbps now. I was getting 15-20 and for the last week or so it shows fast then drops to 5mbps. This is using my 8800l and the MOFI. I tried the sim in my MOFI with various setting and it doesn't bypass the hotspot limit. They must be looking at the device instead of the ttl settings. I'll be trying tethering from my iphone to the mofi and see how that does soon.
I think they're still only doing TTL checking for tethering but maybe IMEI checks for unapproved devices.

I have it working nicely tethering the phone to a Raspberry Pi with the Pi's TTL set to 65. Until now I've been messing around with EasyTether but I suddenly realized that I don't need it. I'm now simply using the default USB tethering and the TTL setting is working. I'm getting reasonably close to the phone speed, 50 Mbps at times. I'm running WireGuard but even without that I still get the good speed.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #1520

Here's how Visible did at 4:40 this afternoon:

This isn't the free ZTE A7, which also FUBARd, it's the Moto G7. It's not 5:25, and they've been this way ever since.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #1521
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I'll try tethering my old iphone and see how that does as soon as I can find it. It's hard to believe how you can lose things in an RV
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #1522

I've been using the setup described here for a couple months. I had high hopes, but it's just not working. My ZTE A7, either USB tethered or as a repeater seldom does better that 1mb, usually around .3. Then my GLinet 750 continually drops offline. It's powered by a high quality 12v hardwired USB port providing 5v, 2.4amps. It appears to be the overheating problem that has been discussed. I have a USB powered fan blowing on it, but that has not solved the problem.
I put the visible sim in my Moto G Power and got 15mb on the phone.
I'm now debating if i should throw money at the problem with a better phone and router. The Moto G Power is only $179 and maybe I can sell the ZTE to offset that. I'd like suggestions on a different router. I really like that the GLiNet can be powered from USB, and you can't beat the price. It also has a pretty user friendly interface.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Router ideas appreciated. Are there any other routers that have USB tether mode, and/or repeater?
I need to be able to connect 8 or 10 clients.
Jet2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2RV View Post
I've been using the setup described here for a couple months. I had high hopes, but it's just not working. My ZTE A7, either USB tethered or as a repeater seldom does better that 1mb, usually around .3.
I can confirm that the Moto G Power which I bought a couple of weeks ago works nicely on Visible. Whether or not it will do better than the ZTE is hard to say. You said you get about 15 Mbps on the Moto phone but you didn't say what you get on the ZTE just running a browser on the phone.

I think if the Moto gave 15 on the phone you should certainly get a fairly consistent 5 with standard tethering either wifi or USB.

If you're moving around, as you probably know, Visible is very location and time of day dependent. I'm currently living and working remotely at a relative's house and I've been using tethered Visible as my only internet connection and it's been working great but I'm lucky where I am. It seldom drops below 20 and at off-peak times it can be over 100. Last weekend I was over in the RV about a mile from here and only got about 3 on the phone even though the signal was good.

I have the sneaky TTL setting in my router to get around the 5 Mbps tether throttle. I think you can do that with a GL.inet because they run OpenWrt but that won't help if you're not even getting 5.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I can confirm that the Moto G Power which I bought a couple of weeks ago works nicely on Visible. Whether or not it will do better than the ZTE is hard to say. You said you get about 15 Mbps on the Moto phone but you didn't say what you get on the ZTE just running a browser on the phone.

I think if the Moto gave 15 on the phone you should certainly get a fairly consistent 5 with standard tethering either wifi or USB.

If you're moving around, as you probably know, Visible is very location and time of day dependent. I'm currently living and working remotely at a relative's house and I've been using tethered Visible as my only internet connection and it's been working great but I'm lucky where I am. It seldom drops below 20 and at off-peak times it can be over 100. Last weekend I was over in the RV about a mile from here and only got about 3 on the phone even though the signal was good.

I have the sneaky TTL setting in my router to get around the 5 Mbps tether throttle. I think you can do that with a GL.inet because they run OpenWrt but that won't help if you're not even getting 5.

What is the sneaky TTL setting? How do I change it on Gl.Inet?
Jerryss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #1525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryss2 View Post
What is the sneaky TTL setting? How do I change it on Gl.Inet?
Here's a random blog post. https://jv.ag/blog/GLinet-TTL-Change/

It's basically go into the router admin and put this in the custom firewall rules.

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

I don't have a gl.iNet so I haven't tried it on one of those devices. I'm using my own home built device with a Raspberry Pi to do the same thing. It fools the system into thinking you're on the phone rather than tethering. It seems to work for now.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #1526

Freightliner Owners Club
"I'm now debating if i should throw money at the problem with a better phone and router. The Moto G Power is only $179 and maybe I can sell the ZTE to offset that. I'd like suggestions on a different router. I really like that the GLiNet can be powered from USB, and you can't beat the price. It also has a pretty user friendly interface.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Router ideas appreciated. Are there any other routers that have USB tether mode, and/or repeater?
I need to be able to connect 8 or 10 clients."

Jet2RV, Take a look at the Pepwave SOHO mobile router. I've been using one for years and it's always been very reliable and easy to use. It supports USB tethering or from a USB modem, no load balancing with this model, but the higher cost ones can give you that. Oh...and I have used it as a repeater too!
$199.00
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet