RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Just chatted with a rep from Visible that said the R2 is no longer available.

What would be the next cheapest option?

Jim58
The Visible ZTE Blade A7 is $49 or free if you have an Android phone to trade in.
https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones/visible-A7-ZTE

Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #884

Please update here so we know how it does in remote AZ. Thanx jim

2014Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #885

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are at Quail Hill part of the Imperial Dam LTVA 20 miles north of Yuma. It is usable, but speeds are usually like this

Speed of Me Speed Test Quail Hill Imperial Dam LTVA 2-14-20 10:30AM
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 PM   #886

We are currently over nighting in Rodeo NM which is 23 miles south of I-10. we are not getting any visible service. It appears though that they are experiencing trouble with Verizon service in the area. There is a notice in the office to report service issues to Verizon as they have started a problem ticket.
We will be in Lost Dutchman State Park starting tomorrow in AZ.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #887

I'm interested
richk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #888

Please see post #10 for the instruction
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC-Allison 3000/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc->Surface Pro 3/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->GMC Jimmy-4/Trojan L16H-AC HseBatt (900Ahr/20hr/12v)/RO
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #889

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPER70 View Post
This post is for the OP. I wanted to let you know I'm very happy with the setup you suggested for all of us to use. I'm using all the gear you suggested and we have had excellent service. We have been on the road for over a month and have not been anywhere yet that we could not get service. We access our Dish Hopper at home and watch shows we have recorded and some Netflix. I have not used anything to check my up/down speeds because I don't care. It is working great. We have used over 68 gigs this month and still have 10 days to go in this billing period. There have been no slowdowns and only an occassional buffering. Thank you again for this option. I'm only paying $25 a month on party pay. This works so much better than the Verizon Hot Spot I used last year at $70 a month unlimited. We will be in a remote location in AZ. in about 2 weeks for the real test.
Very glad to hear that. You are very welcome. While I don't want to avoid or prevent people from posting their struggles as well, I certainly am very glad to hear the tremendous success of others.
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC-Allison 3000/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc->Surface Pro 3/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->GMC Jimmy-4/Trojan L16H-AC HseBatt (900Ahr/20hr/12v)/RO
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #890

I see the R2 is no longer available and I’m more comfortable using an iPhone anyway, so looking at a pre-owned iPhone 7 on the Visible web site. I’ve read through all 64 pages and have seen a few users mention using iPhones with Visible, but do you lose any functionality compared to the Android phones? Will I still be able to USB tether to the router the OP spec’d out?

Thanks,
Alan
adwtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #891

Ford Super Duty Owner
When Visible first started, they only supported iPhones
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #892

Monaco Owners Club
I use an iPhone 6 I purchased used from Visible. It works great! Thanks to gsgriffin for great setup. I canít say how the phone works as a regular phone as I have it mounted in the MH.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #893

I have an update to my post the other day about no Visible service in Rodeo NM. I found out the Verizon tower was 7 miles away and not a direct sight line. I'm now at Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction AZ. and the service is again very good.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #894

Hey Camper 70....... hows the night sky out your way?
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #895

Monaco Owners Club
I have been very satisfied with the visible service, until today. I am in Brooksville, Florida and my Visible service is terrible. Photo of speed tests attached. Note the speeds when connected to LTE (Verizon) vs. those connected to WiFi (Visible). Iíve restarted both the phone and router. If Visible is truly running on Verizonís LTE network, why the huge discrepancy in speed results? For those who canít see the screen capture, I get 26-53 Mbps on Verizon LTE and .03-1.7 Mbps on Visible, so itís not a matter of saturation of the local tower. I even set up my weboost which didnít make a difference (which was to be expected), but I thought Iíd try it anyway.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95348454-F967-46E9-9FAD-00FA3330FBBC.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	275451  
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #896
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
I have been very satisfied with the visible service, until today. I am in Brooksville, Florida and my Visible service is terrible. Photo of speed tests attached. Note the speeds when connected to LTE (Verizon) vs. those connected to WiFi (Visible). Iíve restarted both the phone and router. If Visible is truly running on Verizonís LTE network, why the huge discrepancy in speed results? For those who canít see the screen capture, I get 26-53 Mbps on Verizon LTE and .03-1.7 Mbps on Visible, so itís not a matter of saturation of the local tower. I even set up my weboost which didnít make a difference (which was to be expected), but I thought Iíd try it anyway.

Walt

With all due respect, download and upload speeds on a cellular network are determined by a lot more than just tower congestion. A key difference is how your connection is prioritized by the system.

Visible does indeed use Verizon towers but it is my understanding that it is classed as one of Verizon's prepaid plans in contrast to your "regular Verizon" phone which is probably on a postpaid account. Although this might seem like an obscure and rather trivial point, it happens to be a key way in which Verizon prioritizes its plans. Prepaid plans are simply lower on the prioritization list than postpaid plans! My prepaid Jetpack plan is usually significantly slower than my postpaid phone

I don't profess to know if Verizon further prioritizes plans within the prepaid and postpaid categories. I would suspect they have the ability to do this and probably do. If true this could mean that Visible plans could rate lower on the priority list than other prepaid plans. Furthermore, maximum speed limits could exist for Visible that don't exist for other plans.

The bottom line is that you can't expect that Verizon is going to provide for Visible at $40/line the same service it provides for its more expensive postpaid plans. That simply wouldn't make business sense.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet