Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #1373

As mentioned previously Visible doesn't seem to be throttling hotspot data in general but they do throttle video, you can easily see it by testing at fast.com (Netflix servers.) However it's pretty easy to bypass the video throttle by using a VPN. Most routers support VPNs these days (including OpenWRT which is used on the popular AR-series travel routers.)

Even if/when they ever do limit hotspot to 5 mbps that will still support 720/1080 which is fine for most any RV-type application. If you really must have 4K that's going to be less practical over cellular data for a number of reasons until 5G is widely available so you may need to 'rough it' with 720/1080 for a while, not to mention all the bandwidth consumed even when it does work. It's a cruel world and you may not be able to watch all the 4K video you want for $25/month.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #1374

Granted 4k is hopefully when Musk gets his system on line.

But I do not want to use a VPN so thats why its got to be a Sim in a Router.

Everyone has different thresholds of acceptable things in life..I had the first THX home Theater in the country so my threshold is rather high. I only live once so why not..
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #1375

I’m interested
T.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #1376

Glad many of you are having a good experience and it is helping. For those just coming to the thread, I keep posting the following so you don't have to spend 3 months reading the whole thread.

For those coming here for the first time and jumping to the end, you skipped a lot of stuff. Some good. Some bad. A lot could be a waste of time, but you are here because you are interested in a simple solution for UNLIMITED internet for $40. Since the thread was started, currently you can get your monthly expenses down $25 getting a Party Pay. You need to Google that outside of here and not ask someone on this site to join. That appears to be against the rules.

Here is a summary of the thread to hopefully help get what you need to know without having to read it all. If you have the strength and courage of William Wallace….read it all!

(Pages below are only if you are using the default settings for the number of posts per page)
First 5 pages are mostly people saying, "Yes, I want to see that option"
Pages 5-15 were discussion using Jetpack or Pepwave and using different phones (and people still interested) and porting problems (I still don't recommend that you port your number)
Pages 15-60 have discussion about other services, other set-ups, and a lot more complaining that it didn't work and a lot of happy people that is all worked easily following the POST #10. Some tangents and then getting really confusing as to who was talking about what.
Page 60-67 - Uuukkk. Just some banter about the thread getting too long and my desire to try to help those coming in later not be consumed by 1,000 different options and systems and configurations. If the option on POST #10 doesn't work for you, feel free to search the IRV2 site and find a thread that offers different setups and configurations. Many other discussions. Doesn't help this thread to start new topics on different equipment. Please feel free to start a new topic outside of this thread in the forum category.

1) The "solution" is on post #10. There is an attached Google Doc that is kept up to date and gives a very specific list of equipment to purchase and disclaimers about the service to help set your expectations. The setup will work off of 12v USB in your RV and will allow multiple devices to all be connected to a hotspot. We run this while driving and stream our music on Pandora or Spotity the whole time. Doesn't need 120v to run anything. Please understand that this configuration is suggesting you buy their cheapest phone (get a new phone number for it) and leave it running constantly as your internet service.

2) The service is called Visible (now there is Yahoo, also owned by Verizon and appears to be exactly the same service). It is owned by Verizon and using their towers. Though unlimited internet, the speed fluctuates depending on area or time of day. Some have been using it for a long time and have enough speed to stream TV almost all the time. Others have used it in different areas at different times and NOT had enough speed. If you are looking at this as a permanent solution for your home or stationary RV, there is no way to tell if it will be good in your exact position, but the cost to try is fairly low.

3) If this solution is not the best setup for you, feel free to search for other threads on IRV2 that discuss higher cost and different configuration options. Search for "load balancing" or "high availability" or "redundancy". Plenty of other options. You can still add Visible to those other options. This thread configuration is not about those variations. Many use this setup to stream Netflix or Hulu and can do so all month long without worrying about limits. PLEASE...read and understand the disclaimers on the post #10 doc before you move forward.

4) Many have had a good and bad experiences using it around the country:
Rough start, but now glad
Followed POST #10 and went well
Setup and running in 30 minutes

Porting problems
Not good service
Not great speeds
Great Speeds

5) Visible doesn't ship to PO Boxes

6) There was a 5Mb download limit, but that was removed. Some experience very high speeds at times. Others stay lower. Most (but not all) seem to be able to stream most of the time (which is the main purpose of unlimited internet for most). Some getting very high speeds. Page 15.

7) Some long ago had problems porting their phone number, but I haven't seen that post in a long time. I switched my neighbor over to Visible just to get a new phone, and it took PagePlus 10 days just to release her number so Visible could activate it. Could be a problem with your previous carrier as well as Visible.
Port Problem

8) Like any cellular service, some get bad support or service. Others had great support and service. Their tech support is only through a chat....no phone to call. Again, reduce your odds of needing to use their support by following the doc on post #10

9) At this time, you can only have one phone and service per account. Little pain in the butt. I opted to create 4 accounts for 4 phones using different emails and payment methods. Not ideal, but I created my own Party Pay. $25/line/month=$100/month for 4 phones each with unlimited data. Phone for me, my wife, full-time internet, and my daughter.

10) This is not a super high-speed service. Many have compared and contrasted the speed using a standard Verizon or AT&T network. This option will most often be slower. Sometimes much slower. If having the highest speed possible is your need, see the header at the top about searching for other threads to help you get what you need.

11) There are discussions about using the SIM chip in Jetpack or other mifi devices. Some worked. Some worked for a time. Seems like some have been using it for a long time. No clarity or certainty. You can try. Just first need to activate their SIM using their App on phones that work with their app. Not all phone are compatible...which is why the instructions on post #10 are suggesting you just get their cheapest phone and not worry about compatibility and avoid tech support.
Pepwave
Jetpack
Getting JetPack to work
Then more to get it to work
Some stopped working

12) Some discussion about the WeBoost signal amplifier to increase your cellular range around page 13-15 (BTW...don't purchase the WeBoost unless signal strength is a common problem for you…adds a lot more work and expense)

So, the skinny....service is great for some and working to their needs and downloading 150-280 GIGs!!!!! a month. Others tried for a short while and could never get acceptable speeds.

Following the instructions on post #10 , most everyone (if they purchased the recommended equipment and followed the instruction) found it easy enough that they didn't need outside help. Some (even myself at times) have had issues with their support chat. Some loved it. Some were ready to kill. I would continue to recommend doing post #10 exactly so you take the cleanest route and most likely won't need their support. Any variation could force you to use their support chat. Hit or miss. Often people try to save $6 and not get a new 12V USB power adapter and then waste a lot of time wondering why it doesn't all work….hint, the power supply you have is not giving you 2.4A output….REQUIRED for the setup.

Some have tried variations. If you live on the internet 24/7 and require high availability all the time, try looking up user "DocJ" and send him a private message. He has options for those that need load-balancing or redundancy. This option and thread is not that. This is a simple option for those that aren't bothered by slower speeds at times but really benefit from a lower monthly cost all the time and want the option of streaming as much as they like, and don't want to try to buy various pieces of random equipment to build a system they don't understand. post #10 is doing that for you and saving you the trouble.

I should mention lastly that if you only need to connect up a single device (only a TV or only a computer….not both at the same time), you could skip everything on post #10 and just buy a phone from Visible for cheap. All of their phones have the HOTSPOT available for at least single connection by default….which is nice since most other providers want more money just to turn that on.

In the end, please read slowly and carefully the attached doc on post #10. If it doesn't seem right for you, I will encourage you to continue the search on IRV2 for other options. This thread is already too long to start new ideas or configurations. If you have an experience to post or questions on the configuration of post #10 , please continue to use this thread as many are still following and glad to help you with the configuration on post #10.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
As mentioned previously Visible doesn't seem to be throttling hotspot data in general but they do throttle video, you can easily see it by testing at fast.com (Netflix servers.) However it's pretty easy to bypass the video throttle by using a VPN. Most routers support VPNs these days (including OpenWRT which is used on the popular AR-series travel routers.)

Even if/when they ever do limit hotspot to 5 mbps that will still support 720/1080 which is fine for most any RV-type application. If you really must have 4K that's going to be less practical over cellular data for a number of reasons until 5G is widely available so you may need to 'rough it' with 720/1080 for a while, not to mention all the bandwidth consumed even when it does work. It's a cruel world and you may not be able to watch all the 4K video you want for $25/month.

I may have missed something along the way, but the last time I checked you aren't allowed to even use a hotspot devices with Visible. Are we now able to do so? 'Cause if so I'm pulling the sim out of one of my devices and bringing the Nighthawk online...
Old 10-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #1378
Community Moderator

Yes, visible allows unlimited hotspot from a phone......
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #1379
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I may have missed something along the way, but the last time I checked you aren't allowed to even use a hotspot devices with Visible. Are we now able to do so? 'Cause if so I'm pulling the sim out of one of my devices and bringing the Nighthawk online...
Not allowed vs Will it Work are not necessarily the same thing. While It may be a TOS violation, whether they enforce it or not remains to be seen and probably depends on the amount of data you consume before they start looking into it. Just make sure you use the correct APN and it should work for now. The end result could be a cancellation but to me it's worth the risk and I will use it in my hot spot till they boot me. At that point I'll move on to the next big thing
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Not allowed vs Will it Work are not necessarily the same thing. While It may be a TOS violation, whether they enforce it or not remains to be seen and probably depends on the amount of data you consume before they start looking into it. Just make sure you use the correct APN and it should work for now. The end result could be a cancellation but to me it's worth the risk and I will use it in my hot spot till they boot me. At that point I'll move on to the next big thing
I've been watching sites like ltehacks.com and people definitely seem to be successfully using Visible in router / modem / hotspot devices. I'm kind of surprised that Visible / Verizon haven't cracked down on it but so far they haven't.

I have AT&T and T-Mobile postpaid phone plans in my Pepwave router which is working well but I think I'm foolishly paying too much. I might cancel one of them and go to Visible. I guess we may as well use it while it lasts.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that the worst thing to happen isn't cancellation. It's the equipment IMEI (i.e., its unique ID) being blacklisted so then it can't even be used on another plan. I don't know how likely that is or if you get a warning first but turning it into an expensive brick would be quite unfortunate.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #1381
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think they would or legally could blacklist your user provided device for a TOS violation. Now if you bought it from them maybe because you may have agreed to comply with the TOS when making the purchase.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
For my part I was referring to using the hotspot function in an approved phone, and then sent to a router via a wireless-as-WAN arrangement (i.e. the original subject of this thread.) In this case the SIM is 'where it's supposed to be' per Visible's ToS.

Regarding the use of a Visible SIM in a dedicated hotspot device, I've read of reports of accounts being terminated as a result and other reports of people doing it with no problem so I don't really know the story there.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
I don't think they would or legally could blacklist your user provided device for a TOS violation.

I'm sure they can legally. The carriers have the right to decide what devices to allow on their network or not.

This often recommended site warns of equipment being blacklisted when used on reseller plans which weren't legit. I think in one of their videos they mention hearing of it happening.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...lan-directory/

As to how likely it is to happen, that's a different matter. I agree that it's probably unlikely and simple plan cancellation is more likely. If the deal is good, it's probably worth the risk.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
For my part I was referring to using the hotspot function in an approved phone, and then sent to a router via a wireless-as-WAN arrangement (i.e. the original subject of this thread.) In this case the SIM is 'where it's supposed to be' per Visible's ToS.

Regarding the use of a Visible SIM in a dedicated hotspot device, I've read of reports of accounts being terminated as a result and other reports of people doing it with no problem so I don't really know the story there.
I would propose to everyone considering using a device other than one of Visible's phones to consider the cost of their cheapest phone to be a small investment in reducing your fear and potential problems. Sticking with the instructions on Post #10 simply work. Anything outside of that, and you are taking a chance at your own risk.

For those reading this far in the thread. If you are risk taker, have extra money to burn, want to play around....GO FOR IT....have fun. I would for giggles if I had the time. If you want a safe path to an inexpensive setup that just works with minimal setup or headaches. follow the steps exactly on POST #10.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #1385

My download speeds were very slow with one of their cheap provided phones. I put my sim in an old Iphone 6s (which is allowed) and both the phone speed and the hotspot speed took off like a rocket.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #1386

Absolutely correct..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Yes, visible allows unlimited hotspot from a phone......
WOW.... you can do this and if you took the time to chat with one of their agents online you would find out this is true.... It's not the fastest speeds, but, heck, it will get the job done.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet