Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #547

I hate to ask this question but I need your help. I took my R2 to Montana this summer and I did not have internet service most of the time. But beside that fact, I need a phone that has mobile hotspot (not bluetooth or usb tethering) and the ability to screen mirror. I need a phone that I don't have to reset when I lose power.

I am going to sell this R2 and the router I bought for it. I have tried my best to search this enormous thread to find alternative phones for this service but have not been so successful.

Could someone who has been following this thread intensely, give me a list of other phones with the mobile hotspot that the service will work with?

thank you so much....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #548

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
I hate to ask this question but I need your help. I took my R2 to Montana this summer and I did not have internet service most of the time. But beside that fact, I need a phone that has mobile hotspot (not bluetooth or usb tethering) and the ability to screen mirror. I need a phone that I don't have to reset when I lose power.

I am going to sell this R2 and the router I bought for it. I have tried my best to search this enormous thread to find alternative phones for this service but have not been so successful.

Could someone who has been following this thread intensely, give me a list of other phones with the mobile hotspot that the service will work with?

thank you so much....
The R2 does have a WiFi Hotspot and also can do Screen Casting. Visible has a new phone, the ZTE Blade A7 for $99.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #549

Hi John,
The R2 I have does not have mobile hotspot ability. I can tether using a usb tether or bluetooth. But there is no mobile hotspot. The mobile hotspot does not require a usb cable and is not connected via bluetooth. With the bluetooth tether I have to turn bluetooth on, then connect it, then use the bluetooth tether, then go back and reconnect the bluetooth connection. Its a pain really. And I don't care to use a router to connect more than one device. Once the power goes out, I have to be present to reset the phone and the router.

It probably can screencast through an app using wi-fi direct. But its a lot easier if it was listed in the settings.

I'll check out the A7 and see if it has those features. thank you
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #550

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi John,
The R2 I have does not have mobile hotspot ability. I can tether using a usb tether or bluetooth. But there is no mobile hotspot. The mobile hotspot does not require a usb cable and is not connected via bluetooth. With the bluetooth tether I have to turn bluetooth on, then connect it, then use the bluetooth tether, then go back and reconnect the bluetooth connection. Its a pain really. And I don't care to use a router to connect more than one device. Once the power goes out, I have to be present to reset the phone and the router.

It probably can screencast through an app using wi-fi direct. But its a lot easier if it was listed in the settings.

I'll check out the A7 and see if it has those features. thank you
This from Reddit

Quote:
The Android R2 is a ZTE model Z5151V and manual can be downloaded from ZTE site.

I have figured out hotspot (tethering) and it works!

My mistake (nobody in Visible support was able to explain this...) was simply this:

Settings Network & Internet Tethering & Mobile Hotspot

Next: (crucial): tap "Mobile hotspot" There you find toggle to activate it The SSID and password which you can change.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #551

OK, I checked it out but I couldn't find out if it had a mobile hotspot or screen mirroring. Anybody got one?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #552

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OK, I checked it out but I couldn't find out if it had a mobile hotspot or screen mirroring. Anybody got one?
I have one and it does have a Hotspot. Your R2 also has one. Just do as the other post I posted says.

Go to Settings - Network & internet - Hotspot & tethering - Mobile Hotspot - Move Off to On

It will say Setup Mobile Hotspot and will have SSID and Paassword

Private message me if you need more help
Old 11-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #553

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
For Screen Mirroring you will have to download an app

Android Screen Mirroring and Casting
Old 11-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #554

Monaco Owners Club
I have/had the R2,.. it is a capable phone. Your lack of service in MT is not a function of the phone, but of the service being available in that area. I think you figured out that the R2 hotspot works just fine. I never tried the screencast function. I upgraded to the Google Pixel 3 phone to have a more powerful phone processor and the "possibility" to hotspot to more than one device without using a router -- the Google Pixel 3 can do that with no issues. I am super pleased with the Visible service + the Google Pixel phone. BTW.. the pixel phone is less expensive direct from Google than from Visible.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #555

Solo Rvers Club
Moira, you write: "I need a phone that I don't have to reset when I lose power". That's easy to solve; DON'T lose power in the first place. Get an inexpensive external Lithium power "brick" (many are VERY compact). The power bricks I've used have been good for at least two full phone charges (often more than two). You mentioned a router. External power CAN be arranged for that too. Most routers use "wall warts" that convert 110VAC to ~ 5VDC (or as much as 24VDC). I got an adapter at Walmart that plugs into my RV's 12VDC power port. I can switch it to provide whatever DC voltage I need. Even if you're boondocking, you can recharge small devices with a small solar panel (if you don't want to run a generator). As RVers, we need to be more aware of our power usage. When shore or generator power IS available, make sure to be ready to make the most use of it!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #556

Thank you John, I was able to locate the mobile hotspot. I gotta give it a try. And I did download an app for the screen mirroring.

I needed to be more clear. I don't want to use a router. I would like to have a phone that can hotspot to more than one device. Which is why i was concerned about power failures. When my ac power is lost or I want to shut off my big inverter, the router goes off. The R2 phone is connected to the router. And I lose the capability for all the devices.

Also I am paying 115 a month for my home internet cell hotspot. If I could get the visible service for my home, I could buy another phone for it. And we lose power all the time. I won't be here to reset it. I'll be on the road. I want to use it for my security system.

So does anyone know if the A7 can serve more than one device?

thanks
Old 11-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #557

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thank you John, I was able to locate the mobile hotspot. I gotta give it a try. And I did download an app for the screen mirroring.

I needed to be more clear. I don't want to use a router. I would like to have a phone that can hotspot to more than one device. Which is why i was concerned about power failures. When my ac power is lost or I want to shut off my big inverter, the router goes off. The R2 phone is connected to the router. And I lose the capability for all the devices.

Also I am paying 115 a month for my home internet cell hotspot. If I could get the visible service for my home, I could buy another phone for it. And we lose power all the time. I won't be here to reset it. I'll be on the road. I want to use it for my security system.

So does anyone know if the A7 can serve more than one device?

thanks
There are a number of reasons a router is the best solution for your home security system. You could change your home to a Hotspot Device with a different wireless plan, like NetBuddy at $60/mo unlimited.

For your power problem, you can use a 12VDC UPS such as TalentCell Mini UPS.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #558

Got my $19 phone and activated it today. It works very well after installing the SIM card for a second time.

Thanks for this great thread.
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #559

OK this is what I learned.

None of the Visible phones allow tethering to more than one device. Service restriction, not the phones themselves.

In order to get rid of the router and tether problem, I would need to get another R2. One for the house and one for the coach.

Also I learned these companies that resell the major signals' are called MVNOs, Mobile Virtual Network Operators. There is a list of them on wikipedia. I went through the list and
Community Phone
Pix Wireless
Zilla Talk
Never Throttled

might be an option. But I haven't checked their prices yet. I am looking for unlimited data, multi device tether, unthrottled.

Ill let you know what I come up with....
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWH View Post
Here is my experience with following gsgriffin's #10 post.

A special shout out and "Thank You" to gsgriffin for all his advice and especially his #10 post.
You're very welcome. Glad it worked out well for you. Signal strength and congestion for where you are going are really the keys. Just moments ago (I'm currently parked in New Mexico), I was getting .6mb and did a speed test. In the middle of the speed test, it jumped way up over 25mb. With most connections, there can be times of slowing down, but that is the time to soak in the view, take a nap, get a glass of ice tea and count our blessings.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet