Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

A little satellite help

Hi everyone we are getting ready to go traveling for the next 8 months, We would like to know what satellite tv set up would be the best investment. we live in Calif. and plan on going all the way to east coast and up towards Canada, I have seen so many forms on this and we just dont want to throw our money away. Is the dish tailgater pro a good one or is the Winegard pathway X2 a better investment. All input would be helpful. Thank you
mb1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

I'd recommend the X2.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1956 View Post
Hi everyone we are getting ready to go traveling for the next 8 months, We would like to know what satellite tv set up would be the best investment. we live in Calif. and plan on going all the way to east coast and up towards Canada, I have seen so many forms on this and we just dont want to throw our money away. Is the dish tailgater pro a good one or is the Winegard pathway X2 a better investment. All input would be helpful. Thank you

Since your traveling across the country and up to Canada you will need an antenna that can access both the DISH Eastern and Western arc satellites. There is only one currently available the Winegard Pathway X2. That along with the DISH Pay-As-You-Go plan and the "MyDish" app for your phone will allow you to make service location changes and start and stop the service as needed, complete flexibility.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dish network is the most RV-friendly right now. We switched from DTV to Dish over a year ago and are happy with the service. Saved us a substantial amount of money and getting more channels!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Since your traveling across the country and up to Canada you will need an antenna that can access both the DISH Eastern and Western arc satellites. There is only one currently available the Winegard Pathway X2. That along with the DISH Pay-As-You-Go plan and the "MyDish" app for your phone will allow you to make service location changes and start and stop the service as needed, complete flexibility.
I like the pathwayx2 , as its a larger dish for better reception in rain etc. It is however more of a pita to store as its 2x the size.
I believe All Makers now have a model that will access at least one eastern bird, Which is very workable Has been for a year or more. Playmaker has one that will do the same as pathway w 1 eastern and Western birds in a very small format that would be easy to store.https://www.dishformyrv.com/new-dish...te-tv-antenna/ They even have a roof mount bracket that you can leave on the roof and snap the dish into and then out of if needed. Solves the "storage problem" and if in the open easy to use. Just another option
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #6

What are your viewing habits? If you like to have the TV on in the background all the time and are OK with typical cable TV fare then satellite may be the way to go, but if you tend to mostly watch some TV at night then a streaming service and cellular hotspot may be a more flexible option.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I like the pathwayx2 , as its a larger dish for better reception in rain etc. It is however more of a pita to store as its 2x the size.
I believe All Makers now have a model that will access at least one eastern bird, Which is very workable Has been for a year or more. Playmaker has one that will do the same as pathway w 1 eastern and Western birds in a very small format that would be easy to store.https://www.dishformyrv.com/new-dish...te-tv-antenna/ They even have a roof mount bracket that you can leave on the roof and snap the dish into and then out of if needed. Solves the "storage problem" and if in the open easy to use. another option

The problem is the other makers antennas only access the 61.5 Eastern arc sat. DISH in the last couple of years has moved a number of HD channels off the 61.5 to the 72.7 and a number of locals to the 77 sat which these other antennas cannot access. I stand by my statement that the Pathway X2 is the only antenna that can access DISH's full programming on both the entire Eastern and Western arc satellites. Which is often necessary due to obstructions.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I stand by my statement that the Pathway X2 is the only antenna that can access DISH's full programming on both the entire Eastern and Western arc satellites. Which is often necessary due to obstructions.
Does this mean that the Winegard Traveler antenna for Dish cannot obtain Dish's full programing either?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
The problem is the other makers antennas only access the 61.5 Eastern arc sat. DISH in the last couple of years has moved a number of HD channels off the 61.5 to the 72.7 and a number of locals to the 77 sat which these other antennas cannot access.
The Winegard Trav'ler can access the eastern arc satellites via the setup menu. Only one sat at a time and a little cumbersome so probably wouldn't be your first choice if the majority of your viewing was on EA, but for occasional EA access it's plenty workable.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Would encourage you to at least explore the suggestion made by smiller with regards to cellular internet connectivity. For a basic understanding of what is available, go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center. Streaming content over the internet has gained a considerable following. Google cutting the cord.

With the right equipment & data plans you will have infinitely more options than afforded by DISH or DirecTV. In addition, if you are lucky enough to stay in a RV park with decent WiFi, you can stream content without consuming your data.
Not for everyone, but, a viable option.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

If you are boon docking a lot (like me), with below average cell phone reception (thus poor data availability), you will not be happy with streaming.

For me, I live in the west and do nearly all my RV-ing along the California coast, mostly boon docking.
So we choose DISH, and a roof-mount Hybrid Travíler.

Works perfect every time, all the time (versus a portable or roof-mount dome dish).

I like being able to find the three satellites, know that the Travíler is aligned properly as listed on the integrated display, then turn off the power to it.
When I choose to watch TV, I turn on the inverter & the Wally + hard drive. Wait several minutes and the TV comes on immediately.

With the dome dish:
1) Iím never sure if it has found the satellites (no integrated display)
2) I have to run the inverter 24/7 to keep satellite aligned, or gotta start whole process over each time I want to watch
3) only one satellite at a time
Old 04-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Traveler has worked perfectly from Arizona to Virginia.

Not sure where this is all coming from.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used our Traveler on the east coast up to New York. Some of the HD locals are moved to he eastern arc, but the SD is usually still on western arc so we can still get the news, etc.

Ken
Old 04-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes even in the east most of the locals are on at least std definition on the western feeds. Really unless you get in the upper east you can still see the western satellites fairly high up in the sky. 129 is the one that can become too low I know the western locals were on that a lot so not a real factor.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote