Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #1

This may be a silly question but I can't work around it. I can add the gmail account with no problem but I was hoping to have it identified the same way as my default local email provider. ie inbox, sent, etc. I intend on using gmail while traveling since I can't send email thru my local providers server.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #2

This may be a silly question but I can't work around it. I can add the gmail account with no problem but I was hoping to have it identified the same way as my default local email provider. ie inbox, sent, etc. I intend on using gmail while traveling since I can't send email thru my local providers server.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

It's fairly simple to setup your G-Mail account in Outlook or Outlook express. The first thing you have to do is go to your G-Mail account and turn on the POP3 support. This is under the Setting Tab. Once you do that you will find complete instructions for setting you your O or OE accounts. You have to change the POP3 and SMTP settings under the Advanced Tab but once this is done the rest acts exactly like any other POP3 account.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

Thanks Bill for your response. I can do all what you say, however when my Gmail comes into OE it goes into my local folder's inbox. Gmail doesn't create it's own set of folders
Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #5

I have multiple e-mail addresses which all come into my Outlook accounts "in-box". That has always been my assumption of correct operation.
If you are trying to get each e-mail address to come into OE in a separate folder, I am not sure that this is even possible. It may be possible to setup some kind of advanced e-mail filtering in the complete Outlook program but I am NOT a computer geek and truly have no idea if this is possible.
I guess I don't really care which address the e-mail arrives from as long as it arrives. You can add a line (in Outlook anyway) that includes which address the e-mail came from. If you need this information it is available. When you respond to an e-mail that came from a specific address the responding e-mail will change to show that address as the sender.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">however when my Gmail comes into OE it goes into my local folder's inbox. Gmail doesn't create it's own set of folders </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is correct. That is what happens. It sends a copy to your O/OE program if you have it set up that way.
It has its own set of folders at the online location and saves your mail there. There is an option of having a mail notification icon down on the lower right corner of the start bar. When it turns dark blue, you have unread mail in your online account.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #7

Instread of using pop3 gmail interface use imap. You need to turn on imap on gmail which is on the same page as the pop enable.
You will have a imap folder show up in outlookand I think that will do what you want. Flags in gmail will show up as folders in OE.

Alternaivly you could set up a rule to move email from a specified account to a specific folder and use that foler as you gmail inbox.

Or set up a additional user profile to seperate things.
-- Bruce

PS - If you turn on authentication then you may be able to send from your local ISP when traveling. Gmail also has some send as options that will allow you to set your isp as the address depending on what you need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suncruiser Ron:
Thanks Bill for your response. I can do all what you say, however when my Gmail comes into OE it goes into my local folder's inbox. Gmail doesn't create it's own set of folders </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #8

suncruiser: brucedelta has your answer. In OE create a "rule" that moves all emails sent "to" your "xxx@gmail.com" to a folder you created called, say, "InBoxGmail" and toggle this rule to do it on download so these messages just go to that new folder.

I do the same, my OE receives all my different email addresses and I use the rules to move them into a different folder depending on which of my email addresses they were sent to every time, and automatically, I download the various pop3 mailboxes of mine.

PS you can leave gmail set as pop3.