Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

Adding A Portable Satellite Antenna

My 2010 Bounder came with a dome satellite dish mounted on the roof. Quite often, I can't use satellite because of obstructions. Has anybody used a satellite traveler and how did you hook it up? Did you have to run a separate cable from the receive to the outside to hook up? Is there way to use the outside cable connector? I hooked up my son's satellite traveler to this outside cable attachment and did not work. We did hooked up the dish directly to the receiver at it worked.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #2

You cannot use the "Cable" connector for satellite. The sat dish, whether dome, Trav"lier, or portable must connect directly to the sat receiver. Most newer RVs have a connector labeled "satellite" usually next to,the comme tore labeled "Cable". If yours does not you will to either run the portable coax through a window or install a short connectin from an outside area to,the receiver area.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a roof mounted sat dish and used to carry a portable dish. As noted, you must pull a coax from the receiver to the portable dish. I put a connector in an outside compartment and used an A-B switch at the receiver. Position A was roof dish to receiver, position B was portable dish to receiver. It worked well. The most difficult part was running the coax to the outside compartment.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #4

I was hoping I did not have to route a separate line. On my son's Motor home, with no roof mounted satellite, he uses the outside cable connector.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends. Some coaches a portable dish will work via the cable connection. Usually not if there is a amplifier or other item inline. Best to try it and go from there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
You can use the coax cable from the outside, however as mentioned it does need to be disconnected from the antenna power amplifier. The power amplifier does not pass the voltage required for the satellite dish/signal.

Winegard recommends rerouting the wiring:

Secondly, you can use the cable that runs from the dome dish to the inside of the motorhome. Usually these cables have been run through a drilled hole in the roof, usually right above the entertainment unit. This assumes you are not going to reuse the dome unit, once you install your Trav'ler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegardsathookup.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	138062  
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

If you already have the traveler you must have the instructions.
Ya I know real men don't need instructions LOL
If you don't have them look here:

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/8/89/2452282.pdf
Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

Our rig has the coax ran for a rooftop satellite but since we like staying in woodsie type campgrounds with lots of trees, i opted to go portable with a tripod. I didn't even try using the existing cable inlet.

Instead, i decided to drill up through the floor under the dash. From there, went up through the windshield trim to the overhead cabinet where the receiver sits. This happened to be near the right front wheel well which made access from under the floor easy. Everything is hidden so no one even knows the coax is there. Underneath, i sealed the penetration and left about a foot and a half of the coax so that i could easily connect the cable feeding the portable satellite dish. There just happens to be a cross member there that i stick the coax into when not in use or traveling. This was a fairly simple project that has worked out great for us.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
novi2some, if you have a bomb (box of many buttons) switch box you can disconnect the cable feed coax from the box and use it for your satellite antenna feed.
Also I thing you are talking about a traveling portable antenna not a traveler, which is a roof mounted antenna by Winegard.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
I was hoping I did not have to route a separate line. On my son's Motor home, with no roof mounted satellite, he uses the outside cable connector.
The raw SAT signal from a portable SAT Antenna (dome, pod, or tripod style) must be able to run unobstructed to the receiver and automatic aim antenna have power on that same line.

The easiest way to do this is a dedicated Coax line, BUT if you really want to use the pre-existing campground cable coax, you can do this by acquiring a pair of DIPLEXERS to combine-then split the signal on one wire:
Satellite Diplexer: Signal Combiner and Splitter

The split must be done upstream of any signal amp, when the campground cable wire has a shared end with the BatWing OTA antenna.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I just use the "Red Neck" method, run the cable in a window close to the sat. receiver. You can create a lot of work for a day or two of using a portable unit.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
I am able to use EITHER what was my "outside campground cable INPUT connector" with my portable satellite antenna... OR my roof top Kingdome ...because I connected the coax from that "outside cable INPUT connector" AND the coax from my Kingdome to a coax A/B switch, (which I added near my DirecTV satellite receiver).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #13

I have used the "cable" connection built into the rear of the coach. It can work fine. The coach certainly does not have an RF amplifier in that line, so that's not a problem.

Just select that as your input, but then you have to get the signal to the receiver. You can use the A/B type switch to send the signal to the receiver instead of using the dome. Then select "SAT" for the output to the TV.

I have had all that working, but have also just run a coax to the floor of the slide under the TV and out through a connector so that the dish connects directly to the receiver. That works really well with minimum connections and fittings.

All this connecting, wiring, aiming and tuning is entertaining, but not the type of entertainment I really like................

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite