Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 09:36 PM   #1

Adding home Directv to Motorhome's Directv

I have Cable at home and Directv in the motorhome, which I switch service between Arkansas and Colorado where I spend most of my trips.
Not sure Directv realizes the two states are visited in a motorhome and not individual houses in those two areas, been doing this for many years.

If I was to try to put the home on the same Directv account as the motorhome any ideas what I might run into? If this would be possible would I still be able to change service for the motorhome between the 2 states, or am I trying to do the impossible and need to have two seperate accounts? If would have to set up 2 separate accounts I think I'd just as leave have Dish at home.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #2

we have direct tv at home and also in the trailer with one account. we just move the equipment from home to the trailer when we go on trips and then back to the home again when we get back. our equipment is a genie dvr with a video bridge and a couple of mini genies. we do not contact direct tv at all when we move the equipment back and forth.

initially we had to remember to take all the remotes and power supplies with us whenever we moved the equipment. this was a pain so i bought extra power supplies and remotes and just left them in the trailer. now we just move the actual boxes themselves and it is much easier.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #3

I've had Directv since 1996. For a period of about 10 years I had receivers in 3 separate places. As far as Directv was concerned I had a lot of rooms in my house. I currently have 6 receivers. Four for the house and two for the TV. I don't want the hassle of moving boxes between the house and RV but you could just as easily go that route.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:26 PM   #4

The 2 receivers in the motorhome are mounted or stacked in cabinets such that I'd never try to move them back and forth from the house.

To set up the system in the house a dish would have to be mounted on the roof and cable run into the house and probably more than one room. If I was set up already with Directv in the house and going to add the motorhome to the account I think that might not be too hard, but going the other direction I'm wondering what Directv will do, require two separate accounts which won't gain anything.

Right now I'm paying $100/mo for the motorhome for Directv and $143/mo for cable for the house so was hoping for a way to combine both under one account and possibly save a few dollars.

Since I keep reading these satellite companies don't exactly understand how RVs work and it's hard to get them to do what needs doing I'm wondering how Directv will handle this.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 AM   #5

there are independent satellite installation companies that install and service satellite systems in rv's. they are affiliated with direct tv and they can establish an account, order and install any required equipment.

i know there are various generations of equipment available. the older ones require receiver and associated cabling at each tv. the newer ones one require a single receiver and then use a wireless technology to send a picture to each tv. we use a genie DVR with a single cable between it and the antenna. all the other tv's in the house or trailer receive their tv picture wirelessly from the video transmitter attached to the genie. it sure makes cabling much easier! the wireless receivers located at each remote tv are about the size of three decks of cards and they have two cables, a power cable and the HDMI cable that plugs into the tv.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

Right now I'm paying $100/mo for the motorhome for Directv and $143/mo for cable for the house so was hoping for a way to combine both under one account and possibly save a few dollars.

1.) Call and have Directv installed in your house.

2.) Cancel Directv account for the RV. Or switch the RV account to your house, doesn't matter.

3.) They most likely will not want the receivers back from the RV account.

4.) After a couple weeks of service in the house call and request to reactivate the two RV receivers in two more rooms of your house. They'll ask what rooms just make up any two rooms. Have the RV receivers hooked up and on in your house or RV with a good satellite signal when you make the call, they'll send the reactivate code over the satellite.

5.) Each added receiver will add $6 to your bill. Remember the satellite box never knows where it is, it either gets a sat signal or it doesn't.

6.) If there's a downside it's dealing with local channels in the RV. Several places we go are within the spot beam for my home locals so no change needed. If we get outside of that we do nothing. If we can't get the locals over the air the we do without, we just don't care.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
1.) Call and have Directv installed in your house.

2.) Cancel Directv account for the RV. Or switch the RV account to your house, doesn't matter.

3.) They most likely will not want the receivers back from the RV account.

4.) After a couple weeks of service in the house call and request to reactivate the two RV receivers in two more rooms of your house. They'll ask what rooms just make up any two rooms. Have the RV receivers hooked up and on in your house or RV with a good satellite signal when you make the call, they'll send the reactivate code over the satellite.

5.) Each added receiver will add $6 to your bill. Remember the satellite box never knows where it is, it either gets a sat signal or it doesn't.

6.) If there's a downside it's dealing with local channels in the RV. Several places we go are within the spot beam for my home locals so no change needed. If we get outside of that we do nothing. If we can't get the locals over the air the we do without, we just don't care.
That's the information I've been looking for. Thanks a lot..
Old 01-20-2022, 07:04 AM   #8

we're paying just over $100/mo for our direct tv equipment that we regularly move between the house and the trailer. we never call direct tv when we move it. we have one account and what difference does it make the them where that account is located?
Old 01-20-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

Talking

Interesting info, thanks... Even after reading threads here, we were RV Dumb on SAT TV service in a RV

We became full time in RV last june 2021. We called Directv to setup our account (since 1997) to the 5th wheel. The heavy accent young fellow did not know what a RV was. After 2 different "manager - supervisors" with partial answers on the RV use and setup... my wife cancelled the Directv service. Directv people called us back , but could not fully understand we did not have a brick and stick place to live in. And: of course kep offering us ATT service for phone , etc , yada yada

We bought a Dish "Wally" unit with small portable dish for the RV. It is limited on use and 1 channel at a time.. We mis the multiple channels on recording and viewing of the regular Directv box

Tags
directv, motor, motorhome, motorhomes