Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been using a Verizon U720 wireless modem plugged into a Kyocera mobile router for a couple of months now. Lately it seems as though the signal from the router slows to crawl, then stops completely. I am accessing the signal from the router wirelessly from my laptop. The modem stays on all the time, plugged into the router. The router is password protected so I know that I am not sharing bandwidth.

If I unplug the power to the router, wait a few moments then plug the power back in (like a reboot) all is well and it stays normal for a while. I realize that the modem is basically making a phone call, and I am picking up the signal from the router.

My question is, is this normal? Is it because the phone signal get corrupted or loses strength? I am using the set up in my house mostly right now, and both the wife and I connect to the router wirelessly. Eventually I will transfer the set up to the rig permanently. I looked at the router instructions for clues, but nothing was there. Any ideas????????

Thanks, Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been using a Verizon U720 wireless modem plugged into a Kyocera mobile router for a couple of months now. Lately it seems as though the signal from the router slows to crawl, then stops completely. I am accessing the signal from the router wirelessly from my laptop. The modem stays on all the time, plugged into the router. The router is password protected so I know that I am not sharing bandwidth.

If I unplug the power to the router, wait a few moments then plug the power back in (like a reboot) all is well and it stays normal for a while. I realize that the modem is basically making a phone call, and I am picking up the signal from the router.

My question is, is this normal? Is it because the phone signal get corrupted or loses strength? I am using the set up in my house mostly right now, and both the wife and I connect to the router wirelessly. Eventually I will transfer the set up to the rig permanently. I looked at the router instructions for clues, but nothing was there. Any ideas????????

Thanks, Sarge
Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First, how strong is your cellular signal? The weaker the signal the less bandwidth you will have.

Second, as other's get on cell phones and/or internet and they happen to get the same cell tower site your on, the bandwidth will become less and less causing a slowdown in speed, not only for you but others as well. The more bandwidth available the more speed.

Also, don't be so sure even with a password, someone else is not using your system. Passwords are very easily broken. You can actually get free software off the internet that helps decode passwords. Try changing your password again, and make sure it's the best secure password, i.e., use longer passwords, random numbers and letters, not names, and not sequential numbers, etc.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #4

Sarge, Are you sure that Verizon is not just vacating your connection after a short period of no use (this is normal) and your connection is just going dormant. In dormancy the connection is slowwww to come out of dormancy... You need to ping every few seconds in order to avoid dormancy related issues. By the way, dependent on the physical, location Verizon has implemented different time allotments in regard to the start of dormancy. High traffic areas would have less time before dormancy in order to free up spots on their base station.

Try this free-- "free" ping program, click here to download PingPlotter which is free to use and works well. A very simple install and it will work with VISTA even. Run PingPlotter in the background while you are online. Set to ping say every 5 seconds, unlimited.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, don't be so sure even with a password, someone else is not using your system. Passwords are very easily broken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While this is true for the older WEP level of security, it is not true for WPA or WPA2 levels of security which are VERY difficult to break. If you are using the current levels of security you should be quite comfortable that you do not have any intruders.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you plugged the card back in to the computer so that Verizon can update the card? The card cannot be updated while plugged in to the router. I need to do this at least once a month.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, my post may not have been the answer. I too had a problem with my Kyocera Router and eventually got rid of it and bought a Dlink dir450. I also installed a Wilson Amp to boost our phone service in marginal areas. One of the benefits of the amp was to be able to afix the external antenna of my AC595 to the interior panel antenna of the amp. Sounds a bit confusing but believe be, it works. Where we had poor performance on the internet but now we get speeds in excess of 800kbs in what otherwise would be little connection speeds. In good Verizon areas we get 1.6-1.9mbs. It may be that the signal strength where the original poster was located at was a marginal area. Therefore a slow connection. As they say, "been there, done that". All in all it costs us around $400.00 to solve the issues. Julia and depend on the internet to run our business while on the road. The results far exceeded the expense.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #8

Two things come to my mind...check for software/firmware updates for all of your stuff and check your DHCP/NAT settings on your wireless router. Perhaps you had a power outage or moved your equipment and some settings went back to default.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
A bunch of good ideas guys. First, the cell signal in my area is pretty strong. (Urban areas, lots of users.) My password is over 10 charachters, so it is probably pretty safe.

I was wondering if Verizon was putting me in a "dormant" setting after a certian length of time. That's one I don't know. I read about the "ping" program that BillArf was refering to in another post. While it is a good idea, I didn't know if it still applied to my situation. Sometimes both the wife and I will be on different computers activly surfing the net when the connection goes dead. Maybe a timeout??

The WEP security I am using is what was packaged with my Kyocera router. I'm not sure what gereration it is. The guys at 3G where I bought the equipment help me set it up.

There are at least 4 other wireless networks showing on my network list, most likely some of the neighbors. All are password protected.

I haven't plugged the modem back into the computer in a while to up date the card. I will do that tonight.

Rick, what was the problem with your Kyocera router that would cause you to get rid of it?? I planned to at an external antenna when I mount the router in the RV in the near future. I was not planning on a booster as yet.

Also, how do I check the router settings, and know that they are correct?? The info that came with the router was not very informative.....

Thanks for all your help, Sarge
Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine kept hanging, crashing and providing slow access. Could of been an early version but they were nice enough to take it back. I think early on there were a lot of problems that Kyocera eventually fixed. I'm very happy with my Dlink and unless some new technology comes that the Dlink can't handle, I'll stay with it.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The WEP security I am using is what was packaged with my Kyocera router. I'm not sure what gereration it is. The guys at 3G where I bought the equipment help me set it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unless you have a computer that is not capable of WPA security, then the 3G folks did you a terrible dis-service by setting you up with WEP security. I doubt this has anything at all to do with your current issue, but to ensure that your computer and wireless connection remain secure you need to set your router up for WPA or WPA2 security.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Bill, is the proceedure much different from setting up the WEP protocol? What about the ability for other users in the household to be able to share the connection? The wife connects to the router thru a desk top with a Netgear USB wireless adapter. Would the existing hardware be able to connect via the WPA protocol?

Thanks, Sarge
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #13

The setup for WEP or WPA is exactly the same and the way they operate is also the same. The only difference is in the level of security and the card/router ability to handle this level of encryption.
If you have a wireless card (either internal or external) that is capable of supporting WPA and a router that will broadcast WPA you are all set. Nearly every router and wireless card built in the last 3 years or so will be able to handle this security.
To make the change you will have to go into your router and change the setting there. For a Linksys router that would mean opening the routers browser interface at http://192.168.1.1 and enter your password (user name is usually blank unless you have chosen to enter one). BIG SECURITY ISSUE: If your password is still "admin", no matter your level of security everyone on the planet has access to your network!
Once you are in the router (if you need to change the "admin" password that is done from the Administration Tab) you will want to click on the Wireless Tab. Just below that tab is a very small sub-menu where you can click on Wireless Security. You will find the security options there and you will enter any series of letters and numbers (not like the restrictive WEP letters and numbers) of at least 8 digits with 32 the max. You are best not to use any word that can be found in the dictionary and it should be a combination of letters and numbers. Something like "Ye$B1llisC00l" is the most secure.
Be sure to save the settings and you are good to go. If you cannot log in after the change you might have to replace the saved password on your computer. With XP that would be found on the View Available Wireless Network screen. On the left click on Change the order of preferred networks and remove your wireless network. When you sign back in it will ask you for the network key and save it for future use.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bill, I think they are talking about the old KR1 router that Kyocera made and no longer sales. I have one and I bought it last fall. Right now it sets here waiting for the air card company to get the newer KR2 routers in so I can swap for the newer router. The only thing I have heard of that will work in that router is a type O cards like the PC 5740 or the KPC-650. As for the firewall Wpa is not supported and there will be no 'new' firmware updates to upgrade that router with. Alltel has noted on my account that when they get the KR2's in I can switch with them as nothing including the new KPC-680 air card made by Kyocera will work on that KR1. My new computer doesn't have a pcmcia or express card slot on it so the only option for me was the USB card. But that will not work on the KR1 either.
FYI the newer KR2 will support all card types and WPA security. Any other Questions or answers can be found at www.evdoforums.com. Good luck, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote