Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Alternative to Garmin

For RV use has anyone tried the many GPS found on Amazon in the $70 - $150 range that claim to be for trucks and RV's? I already own 2 Garmins but want an 8 or 10" screen and to save some bucks.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

Alternative to Garmin

I know this doesn’t give you the answer of “try this one”…but…Holy cow, this is one thing I wouldn’t trust with a cheap Chinese amazon model!

Yeah, Garmin isn’t perfect and it’s expensive, but it’s a IS company with good support.

Just look at some of the comments on those $50 gps units. No thanks. No way. Not even as and experiment to “return if I don’t like it”.

If saving money is what you want to do, I would HIGHLY suggest finding an older or used GARMIN RV model on eBay, Craigslist, or OfferUp. Also, the “used” or close outs for Best Buy, Amazon, etc.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #3

I prefer the Google maps app or waze app to my Garmin RV GPS because they’re more user-friendly. If I needed a bigger screen I would use an iPad.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Buy an Android tablet with built in GPS sensor in the size you want and download the Co-Pilot RV app. Co-Pilot will allow you to input the height, width, length (with toad), and weight of your RV. Then when planning a trip it will keep you on roads that can handle your size rig. All total you should have invested less than half the cost of the latest RV GPS unit and have a tablet to use for other things. I have been using Co-Pilot for over 8 years and never had a problem with it's routing having been back and forth across the USA and Canada three times.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I am not anti Garmin. I have an expensive I use on my motorcycle and Jeep. I just wanted a bigger screen. I will try the app on my laptop.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:40 AM   #6

I installed the co-pilot app last night and played with it a little. I don’t like that with this and the Garmin you have to input the exact address you’re going to. I like that With the Google and Waze app all I have to do is tell them what place I’m going to like “Pioneer RV Park”. and it immediately loads choices I can select from.

Co-pilot also took a ton of phone storage as it wanted to download a bunch of maps, And the Google and Waze app updates constantly so it can detour me around a wreck or construction.

Someone tell me I’m doing something wrong please, Because I do own the Garmin RV and would like to use it, if it was easier to use and I could easily change route options on the fly.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Searching with Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I installed the co-pilot app last night and played with it a little. I don’t like that with this and the Garmin you have to input the exact address you’re going to. I like that With the Google and Waze app all I have to do is tell them what place I’m going to like “Pioneer RV Park”. and it immediately loads choices I can select from.

Co-pilot also took a ton of phone storage as it wanted to download a bunch of maps, And the Google and Waze app updates constantly so it can detour me around a wreck or construction.

Someone tell me I’m doing something wrong please, Because I do own the Garmin RV and would like to use it, if it was easier to use and I could easily change route options on the fly.
I have a Garmin RV890 and there is a search button (magnifying glass). I just enter part of the destination name, and it finds matching names. I tap the correct one and it loads the directions. Easy as pie.
edcRVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #8

As a part time long haul driver I would advise to have 2 methods for routing your unit
A stand alone unit would be my fist choice
Do you really want to trust a Chinese $100 unit to guide your $200,000 unit? Garmin is your best choice and they do sell a few different models for RV's I use Google maps as a backup but it will take you on roads with low bridges or no heavy vehicles allowed. Do not forget that sometimes a real paper map is a great Assistant
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I prefer the Google maps app or waze app to my Garmin RV GPS because they’re more user-friendly. If I needed a bigger screen I would use an iPad.
I mounted my iPad to the dash with Alien Tape. Google maps works great.

As for the brand names Garmin or RandMcnalley are the only ones I will use.

I have a Rand McNally with over 3,000,000 miles on it. $500 so the value was good.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why not just use Google Maps on your phone with a VGA or HDMI out adapter and connect that to your center TV if you have one? Depending on your mfg, Samsung has a screen mirroring option so could possibly do it wireless. Another option would be a larger 12v VGA monitor to attach to your dash and do the same thing with the wired option. Inexpensive on Amazon. Hard to beat Google Maps as far as being easy to use.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #11

I thought Rando Mcnally gave up on gps units
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
I know this doesn’t give you the answer of “try this one”…but…Holy cow, this is one thing I wouldn’t trust with a cheap Chinese amazon model!

Yeah, Garmin isn’t perfect and it’s expensive, but it’s a IS company with good support.

Just look at some of the comments on those $50 gps units. No thanks. No way. Not even as and experiment to “return if I don’t like it”.

If saving money is what you want to do, I would HIGHLY suggest finding an older or used GARMIN RV model on eBay, Craigslist, or OfferUp. Also, the “used” or close outs for Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

X2!!!
Going cheap always turns out to be the most expensive.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Buy an Android tablet with built in GPS sensor in the size you want and download the Co-Pilot RV app. Co-Pilot will allow you to input the height, width, length (with toad), and weight of your RV. Then when planning a trip it will keep you on roads that can handle your size rig. All total you should have invested less than half the cost of the latest RV GPS unit and have a tablet to use for other things. I have been using Co-Pilot for over 8 years and never had a problem with it's routing having been back and forth across the USA and Canada three times.
Why need android?
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:

Until about 2 years ago I exclusively used Google Maps, Waze, and/or my vehicles GPS.

Then, on a trip I have made numerous times, I relied on Waze to get me home. First, it wanted to send me a way where no sane person would go in an RV; then it comletely missed a turn to get on an interstate easily and instead wanted to route me through downtown because it saved one or maybe two minutes.

That was the last time I relied on either Google Maps or Waze to route me when pulling my RV.

Since using my Garmin RV890 it has reliably routed me safely and without error. I do double check the route and from time to time adjust it. It gives me speed change, RR crossing, red light cams, sharpe curve, and incline warning and notifications. I just set it up the night before the next day's drive, check the route and start it up the next day for that day's travels.

oh - Google and Waze take too much liberty for me when re-routing with no consideration for my RVs hight, width, etc.

So, for me, a good RV GPS is now a must. Is it worth it - absolutely. I don't find it hard to use and do wish it was intuitive like Google Maps and Waze; but given the alternative I'll stick with the RV GPS.