Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Antenna and Cable access in Motorhome

I have old TV's front and rear in my MH. I have a DTV converter installed at the front set, but when I connected to a cable system in TN last summer I had to remove the converter to receive the cable signals. This follows the thinking that if you were connected to a cable or satellite system when the transition was done, you would not have to make any changes. I found this to be true with my older sets at home on satellite.

Now, in the MH, I want to be able to select programming from either the antenna or the cable separately on the front and rear TV's. I know I need a converter at each TV to receive off the antenna. I can do that by installing a converter at the input to each TV and select "Ant" for each TV at the Winegard switch. When I select "cable" at the switchbox, do I always need to bypass the converter?

Will it work to bypass the converter by inserting a splitter ahead of the converter and feed the converter to the TV by phono plugs and bypass the converter with a connection to the coax TV input? Then just turn the converter off when using the "cable" selection at the Winegard switchbox? Or a better alternative... instead of using a splitter, use an AB switch ahead of the converter to route either to the converter or direct to the TV.

I know...spring for a new TV. That's in the future, and hopefully the not-too-distant future. But for now...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If I am understanding the problem correctly you have a digital converter box for your older TVs that won't allow cable TV signal to pass? If so the solution may be to get a DTV converter with analog pass through. They were designed for people to use for digital as well as old fashion analog broadcasts I believe so it should let the cable signal through when the box is off.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send me an E-mail and I'll give you a fix. Subject must be "Converter Hook UP"

Alternative: Get a converter with pass through

Fix is simple You will need one splitter, one switch and 2 short cables

OR. depending on your TV.. Just the splitter

It works. I know..... I use 2 of 'em.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #4

Sorry about the PM. I didn't know how to find your email address, but I got your descriptions and drew them out. I will have to pull the rear TV out to see if I have a Line In, otherwise I will use the splitter/AB Switch config. Thanks for the description. I was making it harder than it needed to be ...but I was pretty close.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #5

Or if you want to spring for new converters you will have the bypass on the remote

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #6

Jeff,

Are you talking about a converter that has the capability to bypass the converter without wiring around it or removing it from the circuit? If so, I haven't seen one like that. Any make and model?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
Jeff,

Are you talking about a converter that has the capability to bypass the converter without wiring around it or removing it from the circuit? If so, I haven't seen one like that. Any make and model?
yep.. Bypass mode is common these days. There are plenty of them out there; Digital Stream, DTVPal, etc. Just make sure that the box says BYPASS on it because most come in both flavors. My 2 favorites are those mentioned above.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

I have the same issue in our RV. The Digital Stream W/ pass-through, will not work with cable TV. I must disconnect the convertor and attach the coax directly to the TV's to receive cable TV. TV's are 05 Zenith. I used the Digital Stream boxes in the house and they worked fine with our antenna system (no cable TV), before the transition they received both analog and digital signals, and passed both to the televisions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #9

I made sure the converter I bought had analog pass-thru (Walmart), and have no trouble. Just turn it off when using either cable or satellite input. If it is on, it will block the cable signal. Replaced front TV with a digital flat-screen that does both. Will probably replace back one also next year. Gotta find one that will fit for the price I can pay.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #10

Ok, I'm a little confused. Are Analog Passthrough and Bypass the same thing? If so, should any converter so labeled be able to pass cable signals by turning it off when not using the antenna? As I mentioned above, I don't have cable here to run such tests and would like to be sure of my setup before we get ot Disney World. Or as sure as I CAN be.