Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Antenna for SB house

I am currently building a new house. We have been cable/satellite free for ~7 years and rely on an antenna to pick up OTA channels. We live in a area with quite few channels available, currently getting ~25 channels but there are a couple more within reach if we had a better antenna.

Any suggestions for a good long range antenna either mounted outside or inside.

We will have a pretty good attic space above the 2nd floor for an inside antenna. Could also mount exterior attached to the chimney. If it would help I'd install a rotary actuator. Either application would be approximately the same height. Inside would be easier to service as the roof will have a 12/12 pitch.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

I've been looking at the Winegard FlatWave - Best HDTV Antenna for outdoor mounting. It can be mounted in the attic as well. Whichever model you choose I think it's very important that it is an amplified antenna.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof mounting will provide better reception but the roof pitch is a bit dicey. I took the low budget route when the local cable company increased our rates dramatically. With the coach in the driveway I tapped into the roof antenna on it.

Which antenna? The list is pretty long. I'm a bit partial to a Yagi type. Something like one of these -

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Motori...f_rd_i=desktop

The nice part is the rotor controls have gotten better that what we grew up with. Wireless remove and the position signal goes up on the signal coax.

Here's an interesting site regarding where and distance to the various transmitters in your area. Plus some info regarding antennas.

https://www.antennaweb.org/
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I initially used the RV antenna and it worked great >> until my wife took the coach to a dog show. I then bought a Phillips outside mount amplifed antenna, it did OK, not as good as the RV. I now have a Jack antenna mounted, again OK, not as good as the Winguard.

I definately want one that is amplified and has the ability to rotate.

Wondering if the newer Winguard is worth the investment.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live 20-30 miles from the tv stations that broadcast with the terrain fairly flat. I mounted this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Attic-...tenna/20976617

This is not Amplified but they do carry some.
Mounted In my attic on a vertical 2/4 beam. Works fantastic, accommodates cat cabling and since OTA programming is broadcast in HD, the clarity beats my Dish Network picture hands down..... living in a prime tornado area, Moore/Norman in OK, I find it a necessity to have reliable weather coverage when storms are brewing.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mounted this one on our house and it has been excellent. There has been no need for amplification, all local channels come in very strong.

http://a.co/bEYEKyq
Old 01-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #7

I bought the following one and hooked it all up. Pulls all local channels by me with no problems. I do not need an amplifier either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
monitormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I've been given some options, how sensitive are these antenna's in regards to direction.

I have a Jack mounted now and it is very sensitive to direction, I can turn it just a little and drop channels. In some cases I can turn it and rescan for channels and pick up a couple more but loose some the others. Since I don't have a rotary device its not convenient.

I'd like to get one that's omnidirectional or is there a way to tie a couple antenna's together?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Multi directional

I live 1/2 mile from the base of a 200+' mountain that does a wonderful job of blocking any kind of signals, tv, cell, etc. I purchased this antenna https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-MH-11058...s=mohu+antenna and I get stations as far away as 75 miles. I get the most local station (25 miles) and about 12 or 13 others, depending on weather or whatever causes interference. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX not all are my local market because of the mountain. I never move this antenna.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things to remember about antennas.
First: Height is might (up to a point) I will prove this in a few paragraphs

Second: Channel Master... They make some really nice signal suckers Really nice. Their top end antennas can see VHF out to 100 miles or more on a good day. UHF is a bit shorter, but not much. They are directional so you do need a rotor.

Story 1: My parents lived in Union City MI. Per an engineer friend of mine that was in a "no television" area.. We got Gun Lake (Battle Creek, kalamazoo, Grand Rapids stations all transmit out of Gun Lake) Lansing/Jackson stations 100%, Detroit (Selected stations) South Bend, IN and more.. Channel Master's #2 atop a 100' Tower.

Story 2
I am a ham radio operator. Worked in Downtown Detroit evenings, Got off work one day just after a Tiger's game let out, Exiting the company lot, not going to happen... So I grabbed my hand held radio (1 watt, short antenna, about 1/4 watt ERP by guess) and got in the elevator.

Tuned around and found some hams in Toledo, OH, chatting on a repeater (Automatic relay station) in Adrian MI. NOTE I'm in Down town Detroit, Fr, Kern (6th st) and Porter.

Another ham tried to join in, about all we got was his callsign prefix which indicated he was across the river in Windsor.. So I ended up relaying for him.

He's running either 30 watts effective at 40 feet or the other way around (Forget which been 40 years later this year) He was not making it,, I was.

Of course that elevator took me to the 21st floor observation deck, over 250 feet in the air.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
OK, I've been given some options, how sensitive are these antenna's in regards to direction.

I have a Jack mounted now and it is very sensitive to direction, I can turn it just a little and drop channels. In some cases I can turn it and rescan for channels and pick up a couple more but loose some the others. Since I don't have a rotary device its not convenient.

I'd like to get one that's omnidirectional or is there a way to tie a couple antenna's together?
A directional antenna will pull in weaker signal than an omni directional. If you are in a strong signal area with towers located in different directions, an omni works well. Otherwise you need that directional to pull in the signals and to realign the antenna for different station locations (think about the old days with rabbit ears on the back of the TV).

I used to design and install antenna arrays for medical telemetry. When setting up multiple antennas, the biggest problem is multi path interference. This is when more than one antenna picks up the same signal and the combined signal starts to cancel itself out because each antenna is slightly out of phase. If you are trying to capture stations that have a fairly wide arc between them you can use individual highly directional antennas pointed at the transmitters and combine the signal. I also know some people switch between multiple fixed antennas instead of rotating a single one between transmitters - This is another way to capture weak signals and not worry about multi path.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
I live 1/2 mile from the base of a 200+' mountain that does a wonderful job of blocking any kind of signals, tv, cell, etc. I purchased this antenna https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-MH-11058...s=mohu+antenna and I get stations as far away as 75 miles. I get the most local station (25 miles) and about 12 or 13 others, depending on weather or whatever causes interference. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX not all are my local market because of the mountain. I never move this antenna.
This looks like an interesting antenna. I looked at the listing and it doesn't say in Omnidirectional but on other sites it does indicate it is.

Anybody else using this.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #13

Laying down one of those style antennas in a horizontal plane would give it omni directional characteristics. When vertical, it will be directional.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #14

I have been using the Winegard Metrostar amplified 360 omni directional for 2 years now. It works better than I every thought it would! It says it has a range of 30 miles but I get station well beyond that. Several station are 45 miles with a couple at 55 miles away. Every once in a while I will lose the station at 55 miles due to weather conditions but it always comes back.

The key for me is I have it mounted 11' above my roof which allows me to receive 64 stations. I live in Sarasota and can receive stations from Tampa and FT Myers which are in opposite directions. I now have Direct TV only because I missed ESPN and other football programs, plus I plan to use Direct TV on my fiver.

Here is the link.

Outdoor HDTV Antenna, Best HDTV Antenna - Winegard Company
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna