Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will just nix this idea.
OK. I won't tell you when a cargo door is flapping or when your tv antenna is up or your steps are out or one side of your tow bar has broke loose. Nope. Not no more. And I won't have the wife write a message you can read while I pass you. That would be too old fashioned!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I stopped using a CB in the RV about 15 years ago. Too much garbage on the air from the folks that think every other word begins with F. On some of the ham bands, the operating procedures have gone to the wayside as well.

If you want a CB to work decently, forget the small antennas supplied on the coach and get a good antenna like a FireStik.

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #17

That's a lot of money for a CB antenna. And who knows what the design or quality is, and are they going to set the SWR ratio?

I would but my own and install it. Location is fairly important, but having a good chassis ground and low SWR ratio is even more important.
Centered is the best, but that could be problematic on a Class A. On the sidewall would be OK, if you can get it as high as possible, and centered. Since you have to pick a side, I'd put it on the passenger side. The bulk of the chassis (ground) will pull the signal in the direction of the ground plane. Another option is something a lot of ham guys do. A stealth indoor antenna. In a fiberglass coach where the only ground is the frame, this kind of setup would work well. But you'd have to build it yourself. look at what 10 or 15 meter ham guys do, and that would give you an idea. Not really that hard to make antennas.

And yes, they aren't as prevalent as they once were, but for short range car to car can be handy. Run ch 19 when traveling with the squelch all the way up so only nearby signals get through. I've used mine to let people know their basement door had come open, same for trailer door, brake dragging, etc.

For better performance get a SSB (sideband) radio. More money but more power, and usually better build quality.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #18

Spartan Chassis
All the cool kids have switched to GMRS lol.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #19

Communications are the same as any other purchase, you have to first determine what it is you are trying to do. Talk to an occasional trucker (assuming that even a trucker is still using CB these days) then maybe some utility in CB. Reliable emergency communications no matter where you are? Forget CB and get an inexpensive satellite communicator. Communications with your family or friends in other vehicles or while at a camp site? GMRS, MURS, or even FRS are a far better choice than CB.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Many years ago (80's maybe) I had a CB in my truck and also a handheld walkie talkie style CB that I used to communicate between the truck and my other half. In any case, I still carry the handheld and while it is not good for any decent range, it is good enough when you want to know why all the traffic has stopped and to learn which lane is best to be in. I still have a couple CB radios that one day I may install the one that has all the works in the microphone handset... or just keep using the handheld whenever needed. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Communications are the same as any other purchase, you have to first determine what it is you are trying to do. Talk to an occasional trucker (assuming that even a trucker is still using CB these days) then maybe some utility in CB. Reliable emergency communications no matter where you are? Forget CB and get an inexpensive satellite communicator. Communications with your family or friends in other vehicles or while at a camp site? GMRS, MURS, or even FRS are a far better choice than CB.
In todays market, I would go with GMRS and get the license (fee but no test). You can get higher power mobile units or the lower powered walkie talkie units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just information: When traveling east-west, the truckers usually use channel 19. When traveling north-south, they use channel 17. Or at least back in the day when I was doing a lot of CB.

Good luck!

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I can still hear the "ca-thunk" in my head [emoji16], right in the middle of my favorite song...

https://loudwire.com/what-is-8-track-tape/
I remember 8 tracks doing that too. They sometimes had to split songs to keep the 4 channels even so there would be no long pause at the end of a channel. Fortunately, my first car stereo purchase occurred about the time those new fangled cassette decks made their debut. Talk about cool!

CB, I still have them in my Jeeps. I keep them on channel 4 (for 4 wheelers) but haven't heard a peep in years. Turn to channel 19 every once in a while but rarely hear anything there either. I think the OP made the right decision.

We had a handheld CB that we used in our last motorhome. It didn't get out far but it did ok when on the interstate and wanted to get a bear check. Of course that was 20 years ago so,,,
Old 03-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac7800 View Post
Just information: When traveling east-west, the truckers usually use channel 19. When traveling north-south, they use channel 17. Or at least back in the day when I was doing a lot of CB.

Good luck!

//KMac
What channel did they use backing up?

Tags