Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjf7g:
Do not believe that just because you are on a Mac you are immune from viruses. Intel-based Macs especially should be protected.

I love both and use both daily...I do not run Windows on my Mac, though. I work in professional development and technology for a cross platform school division and need to speak the same language as any user (teacher, principal, secretary, etc.) in the system. I just ordered a new Dell tablet. I can't wait to see what that is like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure why you think running Windows on a PC would be different than running Windows on a Mac. Please explain.

I recently retired from being a contractor doing professional web development/maintenance for one of the departments in the DoD. The last year of my contract, I supported the department running WinXP under Parallels on an Intel Mac. I found there was absolutely no difference in running WinXP on my Mac than running WinXP on my PC, except that at least 2GB of memory is needed to run WinXP under Parallels on a Mac.

Sue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjf7g:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingDiver:
There are no known viruses "in the wild" that will attack Mac OS X. If you're running Windoze on your Mac, you need to use the same precautions for Windoze that you would use on any other PC. This applies to running native Windoze (Bootcamp) or in a virtual machine (Parallels or VMWare).

Viruses transported via email or in an Office document can be passed along from a PC to a Mac and on to another PC, but the Mac won't be effected.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check this out...http://www.symantec.com/norton/libra..._your_mac_safe
While Microsoft still seems to be involved, we had a nasty Mac-based infection with a Word virus a while back.

The Mac OS was not effected, but the data on the Mac and the application on the Mac certainly were. Granted, the above web page is from a company who makes money selling virus protection on the Mac...but, if your life sits on your Mac, you should protect it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that page. It's a lot of marketing hand-waving to justify their product. The net of it is what I posted earlier. There are no viruses that effect the Mac OS, and if you have a virus embedded in a MS Office document, it MIGHT be able to effect other MS Office documents. Maybe. But only if you let Office run the embedded Macro code in the document.

The best answer? Don't run Office either. But I know that's not practical for many people. As the article says, if you have to trade documents cross-platform, your probably should run a virus scanner. To protect the PCs on the network.

joe
Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #17

FlyingDiver is right on. Virus software for Macs look for only the windows viruses on the mac which of course don't effect the mac anyway. There are no know Mac OS X viruses. When there is a vulnerability detected Mac quickly updates your software. There also is no spyware.

I also have my Mac operating in stealth mode and none of the scanners on the web have been able to penetrate it. To the scanner it just is not there.

Since OS X is basically Unix there is a lot of software out there in specialty areas and more being written every day. Apple very much encourages this.

Graphic Converter is an excellent graphic program and I often use it instead of Photoshop.

My bro and sis in law are here for 10 days and they are forced to use the macs, guess what they love them. No instructions, no questions... they just grab the mouse and go. Sal wrote a church letter (Word) and sent it off to I O WAY for review and just couldn't believe how simple.

Mac Pages is their new state of the art word processor. You can take a tour on the Apple web site. It is just wonderful and super easy. Aperture is their graphic program which I really don't like.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
Mac Pages is their new state of the art word processor. You can take a tour on the Apple web site. It is just wonderful and super easy. Aperture is their graphic program which I really don't like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a clarification - Aperture is not a "graphics" program. It's a digital image (photo) management application, which also has some fairly sophisticated image "touch up" tools. But it's not Photoshop, and it's not intended to be. The competing Adobe program is Photoshop Lightroom.

joe
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's a digital image (photo) management application </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words it's a graphics program.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saydiver:
I'm not sure why you think running Windows on a PC would be different than running Windows on a Mac. Please explain.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, it wouldn't be with the exception of the work that I do on the Palm...there are some issues in getting a Mac running Windows to interface with the Palm on the Windows side. To a user who needs help connecting an LCD projector or other periperal, it is a huge difference. We have several folks who run Windows on their Macs, but they typically don't provide end-user support.

I am a fan of the Mac and have owned 6 or 7 laptops dating back to the PowerBook 100...I have been to Cupertino on Apple's dollar twice (I always take a Mac when I go and enjoy the heck out of shopping at the original Apple "company store"...)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's a digital image (photo) management application </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words it's a graphics program. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess we need to agree on the definition of "graphics program". It's not an uber image editor like Photoshop.

joe
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #22

I have been to Cupertino on Apple's dollar twice (I always take a Mac when I go and enjoy the heck out of shopping at the original Apple "company store"...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very familiar with the 'company store'. I think I have 3 Apple logo hoodies and most recently a thermal coffee mug from the 'company store'.
Sue
Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Windoze with all it's baggage and find it doze everything I need and more.

I do note the Mac users to be the 'smarmyest' people since 'Beta' freaques.

Flack jacquet strapped on.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #24

I just love it when the Mac guys say something like
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When there is a vulnerability detected Mac quickly updates your software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK, so we all can admit that Mac "can" have vulnerability problems. Microsoft also updates their software very quickly when these kinds of problems are detected. If the Mac ever does penetrate a large enough portion of the computer market you can be assured that someone will take the time to target Apple more often.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:

I do note the Mac users to be the 'smarmyest' people since 'Beta' freaques.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are also infinitely better looking!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
I just love it when the Mac guys say something like
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When there is a vulnerability detected Mac quickly updates your software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK, so we all can admit that Mac "can" have vulnerability problems. Microsoft also updates their software very quickly when these kinds of problems are detected. If the Mac ever does penetrate a large enough portion of the computer market you can be assured that someone will take the time to target Apple more often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Mac operating system, a form of Unix is inherently more stable and secure than Windows. A vulnerability a Mac might have versus the vulnerability that windows have is the difference between night and day. The customer support of Mac versus windows is also as different as night and day both for hardware and software. Their market share is rising sharply and there still are no known Mac viruses and no known Mac spyware. Mav provides software in OS X 10.5 Leopard - Bootcamp - that will allow you to load any recent version of windows including 64 bit Vista. At bootup you can choose which operating system you want to run. Recent tests show the macs running Vista 64 faster than the competitors computers.

Basically Macs work and work and work. They are more expensive initially but have much greater resale value. Our second generation iMac(upside down bowl) is now proudly serving my granddaughter. She updated the software to Leopard herself. Her family has noticed the huge difference between the several year old iMac and the their new HP and they have now bought their last windows computer. They are tired of the windows BS.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Their market share is rising sharply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, they are all the way up to 5%! Look out, here they come!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bootcamp - that will allow you to load any recent version of windows including 64 bit Vista. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So to get the best performance and get a larger share of the market they had to make them work with PC software

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basically Macs work and work and work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As to imply that a PC does not. Right!

Don't get me wrong, the Mac is great, it's just not invulnerable.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
[QUOTE]Their market share is rising sharply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yep, they are all the way up to 5%! Look out, here they come! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly well almost since you got the 5% number wrong, In 2004 Windows had over 96% Market share.
Mac had 3.25%

Fast forward to January 2008:
Windows has 91% Market share.
Mac has 7.25%

THAT's HUGE gains and a SHARP rise. Mac more then DOUBLED it's market share in a little over 3 years.

In that same time MS Lost over 5% of market share and still going down.

MS is looking for a Hans Brinker to save them.

---------------------------------------
Closed Thread