Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
I hope you look into "Playon" as suggested by many. I use it to record shows from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my computer. I then use a Roku device in the rig to play them back to the TV. Roku has a "Roku" app that connects to your computer and you can easily play them back to the TV. Both the Roku and the computer running Playon must be on the same router.
Is that possible with no internet signal present at the time of playback? Do the computer and the Roku communicate directly without using the internet, sort of like using their own bluetooth type signal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #30

Dang, I love my DVD's.

(Can I assume that a raspberry pi isn't a desert item?)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Another option we've found really useful for us is to download movies to our iPad or computer and play them on our coach TV through an HDMI connection.
Avery, this was the original plan, but I'm told that between 2 and 7 days after downloading the Netflix or Prime movies, the download is no longer available and playable, it sort of expires and goes away. has that been your experience? Supposedly this is where the Playon program steps in, in that it bypasses the set expiration period of your downloads as programmed in by the streaming source you got them from and makes them available (in theory) forever.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Dang, I love my DVD's.

(Can I assume that a raspberry pi isn't a desert item?)
You and me both, Bobby. However, if I can can load 100+ worth of DVDs onto a single computer and just tote it on board, that's worth it to me if it can easily be done. It's looking to me like it can be easily done, the hard part is getting the how part through my dense 62 year old head.

It's funny that I can program the 8 stack fuel injection computer on my Shelby Cobra to extract the last possible horsepower, I can wire up the router and internet in my home without a problem, and I can make the computer on the Boeing I fly practically sing and find routing to runways thousands of miles from home... and yet with all that I can't figure out how to record and play back a library of movies in my darned RV. Now that's frustrating.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
That's the part I don't get. Please forgive my ignorance. I know what a Firestick is, and I thought a Roku was the same concept, different manufacturer. I guess not? How do you plug media (In this case a computer) into a Roku? I imagine using a cable, and if so there's no real benefit of plugging into a Roku if my TV system has an easily accessible HDMI, is there? I can't connect my computer to a Roku wirelessly without an internet signal present, can I?

ROKU and firestick, as far as I know, are the same concept. The roku needs 120v AC power to run. It plugs into your TV via an HDMI cable. It has ports for USB and a micro SD card (Roku Ultra) You can connect wirelessly to your computer without the Internet but both would need to be on your own internal network (router/switch)

The Roku has apps for things like CBS all Access, Netflix, Hulu, etc as well as a local media ( your content) app. To access Netflix or the other "channels, you do need to be connected to the Internet. To access the local media app, you just need to have the Roku plugged into the TV via an HDMI cable.

I do not recommend trying to stream Netflix or other broadcast channels over a RVPark WiFi. But you conceivably could. But you can certainly play your own content.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:36 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Doesn't anybody read any more?
Just get a few good books, and forget the TV.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
ROKU and firestick, as far as I know, are the same concept. The roku needs 120v AC power to run. It plugs into your TV via an HDMI cable. It has ports for USB and a micro SD card (Roku Ultra)
Great info, can the Firestick do the same as the Roku? I already have one of them.

Quote:
You can connect wirelessly to your computer without the Internet but both would need to be on your own internal network (router/switch)
That's hugely key info for me right there. That's one of the main issues I was not understanding. Does any router like the ones I use at home work or do I need a specialized piece? Basically I will have a local network just like I have at home, but it just won't be connected to the internet?

Quote:
The Roku has apps for things like CBS all Access, Netflix, Hulu, etc as well as a local media ( your content) app. To access Netflix or the other "channels, you do need to be connected to the Internet. To access the local media app, you just need to have the Roku plugged into the TV via an HDMI cable.
I wouldn't be looking to stream from the RV, I only want to play recordings of what I stream at home. If I can install a media server, fill it with recordings made at home using Playon, save them to a thumbdrive plugged into the computer when using Playon, bring the thumbdrive to the RV and transfer the files to the server, and watch them over my RV's local network wirelessly from any of the three Firestick TV's on the coach, that would be awesome. Is that possible? How does the Kodi program fit into all this?

Quote:
I do not recommend trying to stream Netflix or other broadcast channels over a RVPark WiFi. But you conceivably could. But you can certainly play your own content.
Yup, the campground internet that I've come across is barely useful enough for picking up email. I agree with you 100%. This would only be for playing pre-recorded content.

Now I have to figure out how to get a server built by someone far more talented than I am.

EDIT - I just saw this - would this work? Would this work in place of the Raspberry server with hard drive? What would I need in addition to this? Would I still need Kodi? Would I need a router, or does this have one built in? It almost sounds as if everything I need is built into this unit. I'm understanding (and I could be very wrong) that if I run out of storage on this I can always add on a portable hard drive to expand available storage? I see 5 TB drives on Amazon for only $100 or so with a RPM rate they say is good for video. Maybe I can even dispense with the thumbdrive and just copy the Playon files right to the portable hard drive at home and carry them to the RV and play them through this, and even transfer them to this?

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield...116422&sr=8-18

Can I copy the thumbdrives or hard drive I bring from home onto this using the USB port, and connect this to a router, and that's it? Do I need a routher with this unit? What am I missing? How would this connect to the router if I need to, I guess the Ethernet cable? Somehow the Kodi software program fits into all this and I am not clear where it would reside and what function it serves. Do I even need Kodi (or PLEX) with this unit? Slowly my understanding of all this is starting to come together, but there is still much I need to learn.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Doesn't anybody read any more?
Just get a few good books, and forget the TV.
I love to read. After a while it's nice to have some TV as well. Beside that, my wife prefers TV over reading. It is what it is.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Is that possible with no internet signal present at the time of playback? Do the computer and the Roku communicate directly without using the internet, sort of like using their own bluetooth type signal?
Yes Doug it's possible. Get an old router, you can buy them at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. Set it up in your rig. You will need to give it a name, password, etc. You can download instructions from manufacturer website. You probably have an old one laying around. When you want to stream from your computer to the TV, connect both the computer and Roku to the wifi network you set up. The router doesn't need to be connected to the internet to work as a local area network in your rig. You can do this......

Roku's are cheap. Old routers are cheap. You don't need Plex. The Roku has an app on it to connect the computer to the TV. I bought a lifetime subscription to Playon on the cheap. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
I love to read. After a while it's nice to have some TV as well. Beside that, my wife prefers TV over reading. It is what it is.
I understand. Happy wife, happy life.

I have a 1 tb. portable portable hard drive with 400+ movies that a buddy put on it. I just bought a blue ray player with a usb port that will support the hard drive. Works fine, but 3 years later, and we have watched a grand total of 4 movies.

If there is local OTA TV,, we will watch the news, otherwise we often read, or are socializing with friends around a campfire.

We have a satellite dish and receiver, and haven't even tried it out yet in the 4 years we have had this rig. Probably won't work anyway.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #39

Quote:
VVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMM.......
That's the sound of that entire paragraph screaming right over my head...
Before I dig deep into a Google search to try to decipher that Latin, is any of that you speak of possible to do with no internet signal present at the time of playback? That's the situation I will be in.
Sorry! Yes, it is definitely possible to play back the recorded video content without an internet signal. The Nvidia Shield plugs into the HDMI input on the TV. The USB hard drive plugs into the Nvidia. The Plex Media Server app on the Nvidia needs internet access to log in, but after it logs in it does not need an internet connection, and does not use data. Only the tiny bit of data to log in. When I don't have an internet connection, I use the VLC app instead to play the recorded video. It works without any internet connection at all.

So yes, you can definitely play the prerecorded video without any internet connection using the Nvidia with no data usage at all. And no router. Just better if you have one and can use Plex (better organization of the videos)!

Kodi, which is similar to Plex, might not need an internet connection. But I don't use it myself.

FYI an Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro like I use is about $200. (I just bought another one last week.) USB hard drives are cheap. You need a TV with an HDMI input. Nothing else! (Other than 120V power.) The Plex and VLC apps (and many others) are free. You will want to have internet access when you first set up the Nvidia Shield, and for updates from time to time. But it will work without it when you are on the road.

I hope that helps some.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Sorry!

Oh, heck no, Jim. It's me who needs to apologize. You guys have been super patient trying to drag me into this century. I appreciate all the help and teaching.

Quote:
Yes, it is definitely possible to play back the recorded video content without an internet signal. The Nvidia Shield plugs into the HDMI input on the TV. The USB hard drive plugs into the Nvidia. .
Can I not plug the Nvidia unit into the router via a Ethernet type cable then connect all the TV's to the router via Firestick's? Does the Nvidia have built in storage? In reading the description on Amazon I thought it has 16GB built in. Did I get that wrong? I was hoping to use a combo of the built in Nvidia storage and an external drive to both ferry content to the RV from home and then leave hooked up to the Nvidia for additional storage capacity. If the Nvidia does have built in storage do you know how much it is?

In the main living area of the RV where the main TV and the audio/video cabinet is located, I have a Denon surround sound amp that is connected to the main TV via a HDMI cable into the TV. It also has 4 open HDMI inputs available into the Denon unit. I was planning to connect the Nvidia to the router via Ethernet (will that work?), the three TV's to the router wirelessly with Firestick's, and the Nvidia HDMI output hardwired to the Denon, which is already connected to the TV via HDMI.

I can't get to the back of the main TV to get to another HDMI port on it without disassembling the whole TV cabinet, so I intended to put the Firestick for the main TV into the back of the Denon as a HDMI input. That way the Nvidia is hardwired to the Denon as a HDMI input to be passed on through the Denon when selected to the main TV, and the Firestick for that TV is also in the Denon and I can choose the Firestick as an input also on the Denon into the main TV should I somehow end up in an area where I can actually stream content on occasion. Does all that make sense? The other two TV's (bedroom and outside) would be linked to the Nvidia by their own independent Firestick's to the router. I question if the Ethernet cable connection between the Nvidia and the router will work for video and audio? I know it works for data but not sure if it is sufficient for this application.

Quote:
The Plex Media Server app on the Nvidia needs internet access to log in, but after it logs in it does not need an internet connection, and does not use data. Only the tiny bit of data to log in. When I don't have an internet connection, I use the VLC app instead to play the recorded video. It works without any internet connection at all.
I'm not sure what you mean by the Nvidia needs internet to log in. Does it need that every time I want to use it? Is it a one time thing that I can do at home to sort of register the unit with Nvidia then bring it to the RV and it's done forever? What does it need the internet for? What is a VLC app?

Quote:
So yes, you can definitely play the prerecorded video without any internet connection using the Nvidia with no data usage at all. And no router. Just better if you have one and can use Plex (better organization of the videos)!

Kodi, which is similar to Plex, might not need an internet connection. But I don't use it myself.
Did I understand correctly that Plex comes already installed on the Nvidia?

Quote:
FYI an Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro like I use is about $200. (I just bought another one last week.) USB hard drives are cheap. You need a TV with an HDMI input. Nothing else! (Other than 120V power.) The Plex and VLC apps (and many others) are free. You will want to have internet access when you first set up the Nvidia Shield, and for updates from time to time. But it will work without it when you are on the road.
Yes, Amazon has the Nvidia Shield TV Pro model for $190 now. I have to figure out if that is best for me. Lots of people talking about this Raspberry Pi thing, but I would have to find someone to build it for me, there's no way I would be able to do that, at least not if I would like it to actually function correctly!. I don't know if that Raspberry Pi unit is better or worse than the Nvidia Shield TV Pro, and what it would cost to have someone build it, assuming I could find someone to do it. Do they essentially serve the same purpose? By the way I am not married to this Nvidia thing. If there is something else out there that you guys think is better suited for what I am trying to do, is pre-assembled and easy to hook up and use, and at a reasonable cost, please let me know.

Quote:
I hope that helps some.
You and everyone else have been a huge help, and I am very grateful. I still have much to learn, but it's slowly coming together. Thanks so much.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #41

Yes, you can connect the Nvidia to a network via an Ethernet connection. It can connect to a network via Ethernet or wifi. (I used Ethernet.) But to work with just your main TV, it only needs the HDMI cable. The Nvidia Plex Media Server can then act as a media server to other network connected devices, like a computer, tablet or cell phone, Roku, Firestick, etc. via a Plex Media Player app. For all intents and purposes there is a limit as to how many other devices it can serve at one. Not an issue for me. And yes, the Plex Media Server app is pre-loaded.

I have read that the Plex server needs to to verify what services you have on your free account. I have also read that you can bypass that requirement, but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting it to do so. Most of the time I do have internet access, and I have a way to use something else when I don't have it, so I have stopped working to fix it.

VLC is a free app for cell phones, tablets, etc. that allow you to play various types of video files. It serves the same purpose on the Nvidia.

The Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro does have 16gb of storage, but that is very little storage when you are storing video files. That storage is pretty much designed to store your apps, like storage on a cell phone, and maybe a video file or two. But you will need much more. I used a 2tb hard drive, and ran out of room!

The Nvidia is an Android device. As such it is designed to be user friendly. If you can use a smart phone, you can use it. (OK, that might be a big IF, but I am just saying....) The raspberry pi, not so much.

Just so you know, the Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro does not come with the ability to work with a universal IR remote. There is a way to get that capability if you need it for about $25. But it does not have it out of the box.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Yes, you can connect the Nvidia to a network via an Ethernet connection. It can connect to a network via Ethernet or wifi. (I used Ethernet.) But to work with just your main TV, it only needs the HDMI cable. The Nvidia Plex Media Server can then act as a media server to other network connected devices, like a computer, tablet or cell phone, Roku, Firestick, etc. via a Plex Media Player app. For all intents and purposes there is a limit as to how many other devices it can serve at one. Not an issue for me. And yes, the Plex Media Server app is pre-loaded.
I'd be hooking the main TV up to the Nvidia by cable from HDMI to HDMI. That would leave only the other two TV's as connected by the router. I imagine just two connected that way would be OK.

Quote:
I have read that the Plex server needs to to verify what services you have on your free account. I have also read that you can bypass that requirement, but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting it to do so. Most of the time I do have internet access, and I have a way to use something else when I don't have it, so I have stopped working to fix it.
I have been out of work since March due to the virus, so I have plenty of time to sit and research this and try to learn more. I spent some time today researching this whole Plex working with and without an internet signal issue today. This is my biggest concern now. More often than not, people commenting online about the running of Plex with no internet connection issue say it doesn't work. Maddeningly, once in a while someone says it does work. Most seem to think that Kodi will work better without an internet connection than Plex, but that Plex is a better program. I don't need advanced features. I want lots of moves and songs on the storage device. I want to turn on a TV and watch the movies or programs. I want to play some music. that's it, and I'd like it to work easily, reliably and without constant tinkering. If Kodi will accomplish that reliably without constant tinkering to get it to work without an internet connection than that's fine with me. Once it's set up I want it to work well and be trouble free. Is Kodi preloaded on the Nvidia as well?

Quote:
VLC is a free app for cell phones, tablets, etc. that allow you to play various types of video files. It serves the same purpose on the Nvidia.
VLC is a mystery to me. No idea what it is and what it does. I'm not going to watch movies on tablets or phones. I'll watch on a hardwired HDMI main TV or a Firestick connected bedroom or outdoor TV. Not sure if I need this VLC or not. Is it on the Nvidia already or do I need to somehow load it on there in case I do need it?

Quote:
The Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro does have 16gb of storage, but that is very little storage when you are storing video files. That storage is pretty much designed to store your apps, like storage on a cell phone, and maybe a video file or two. But you will need much more. I used a 2tb hard drive, and ran out of room!
My plan is to use a 5TB drive. The increase in cost over a 2 TB is negligible. I wish I could find a solid state drive I could use so my wife could watch movies while we drive. I'm not 100% sure but I doubt it's a good idea to use a traditional spinning hard drive while the coach is in motion? Will this cause the disc to crash?

Quote:
The Nvidia is an Android device. As such it is designed to be user friendly. If you can use a smart phone, you can use it. (OK, that might be a big IF, but I am just saying....) The raspberry pi, not so much.
When it comes to user ability, don't count me in on anything! Joking aside, I plan on getting everything set up at home with a good internet connection, then transfer it to the coach. I hope I can get it done.

Quote:
Just so you know, the Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro does not come with the ability to work with a universal IR remote. There is a way to get that capability if you need it for about $25. But it does not have it out of the box.
Speaking of remotes, can I control the TV's source of programming content individually (the bedroom and outdoor) with the Firestick remotes, or how would I control each individual TV's programming? Can they each watch a different source with this setup or do they all have to watch the same thing? I guess IR remote capability is a good thing. How do I get that, what do I ask for?

What else am I missing? Is just an old school flat plate type router ok? Can I select what movie we want to watch or change the movie while laying in bed watching the TV that is hooked up to a Firestick?

Thanks a million again. Other than the Plex working acceptably without an internet connection (my biggest concern right now) this all seems to be coming together well.