Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #127

Quote trimmed for brevity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
Actually playing the videos on your TV would require some sort of media player, for example an Amazon Firestick, Roku, or similar. Most of these don't support playing local videos "out of the box". It usually requires downloading something like the Kodi or VideoLAN applications.
I've been following this thread and like the idea of a NAS. I'm planning on copying a friend who picked up a second hand 5-drive Drobo unit (model 5N2) off of craigslist and loaded it up with large drives. He loaded a bunch of DVDs he owns as video files and it works fine. Any computer can access that directory on the Drobo and play a video file using VLC.

Now how to play those on a TV... Some TVs can access a shared directory on a computer. Those should just play the file. Other TVs have an unused HDMI input connector. In that case I would use VLC on a laptop to play files stored on the Drobo, with a HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #128

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post

I've been following this thread and like the idea of a NAS. I'm planning on copying a friend who picked up a second hand 5-drive Drobo unit (model 5N2) off of craigslist and loaded it up with large drives. He loaded a bunch of DVDs he owns as video files and it works fine. Any computer can access that directory on the Drobo and play a video file using VLC.

I'm not too familiar with that product line, but it should work fine. It seems a bit large size and cost wise for most RVs to me, but if you have the space it should be OK. For anyone following along, keep in mind you will need a wired ethernet connection for most NAS devices. For most this means installing a wireless router in the same location as the NAS. The NAS then connects to the wireless router via ethernet cable and "clients"(TVs or media players) connect via wireless.

I'm sure there are tons of alternatives, but I've been very pleased with the Western Digital My Cloud NAS drives. Not to be confused with the "My Cloud Home" line of products. Very similarly named, but very different products. The My Cloud Home are truly cloud based products that require Internet and a connection to Western Digital's cloud servers to work. To me, those are completely useless. However, the original My Cloud line, https://smile.amazon.com/Cloud-Perso...dp/B00EVVGAC6/, do not require Internet to function and work well as local NAS storage. The single drive units are fairly compact. They are still a bit pricey, around $320 for 3TB, but can be found on EBAY for around $100 used.

If you only have one TV, you could get by with any USB direct attached hard drive. This requires a special cable and an additional app for use on the FireStick, but other media players and some TVs will support this directly. As others have suggested, you could use a USB "thumb" drive as well, but this would limit your size considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Now how to play those on a TV... Some TVs can access a shared directory on a computer. Those should just play the file. Other TVs have an unused HDMI input connector. In that case I would use VLC on a laptop to play files stored on the Drobo, with a HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV.

You can connect a laptop to the TV and use VLC, PLAYON, or another media player on the laptop. Personally, I find it to be clumsy and kludgy. The best "user experience" I've found so far is a media player, like the FireStick, loaded with Kodi. The FireStick plugs directly into the HDMI port. Kodi will play DVD ISO files as well as most media formats and you have access to FireStick "native" Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc... apps when Internet is available. I do find the FireStick interface to be rather clumsy when it can't connect to the Internet. You can still launch local apps like Kodi and VLC, but it's not at all intuitive. I still find it to be better than dragging out the laptop, dealing with two screens (the laptop and the TV), having to use a keyboard and mouse to navigate, no remote, finding a place to set the laptop so it can reach the TV and not be in danger of falling, etc...

A few TV's have Android OS built in and may support KODI or VLC directly, but the majority don't. Samsung smart TVs, for instance, use their proprietary OS and only support a handful of apps. As far as I can tell, none of the apps available to Samsung TVs will play network attached media.

As I previously suggested, you could use the laptop as a network hard drive instead of the NAS, external drive, or thumb drive. You would just make sure the laptop and TVs or media players were connected to the same network and share the media folder from the laptop.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #129

I connected my OTA DVR (Channel Master) to my PC & Mac using the CM USB cord that connects the hard drive to the DVR, and neither computer recognized the HD.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #130

I use a Tablo OTA DVR to record shows on the USB hard drive. If you simply connect the hard drive to a computer, it cannot read it. But there are at least two software programs that will download the videos from the Tablo device to a PC via a network connection.

It takes about 5 minutes to download an hour long High Def program as an mp4 file. Complete with Plex compatible naming and directories.

There are a lot of old TV shows available OTA to obtain via this method for free. Easy to take with you, no streaming required.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #131

I'm seriously considering cancelling my DirecTV account.

What if I remove the hard drive from the DVR and hook it up to my computer?

Will that enable me to save the shows to the computer?

Thanks
Mike0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #132

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0613 View Post
I'm seriously considering cancelling my DirecTV account. What if I remove the hard drive from the DVR and hook it up to my computer? Will that enable me to save the shows to the computer?
Thanks
Sorry - the data is encrypted - so it's not possible.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #133

An acquaintance put a HDMI splitter in line between his DirectTV DVR and the TV. The then ran a cable from the splitter to a HDMI capture device - an "Elgato HD" if I remember correctly. That outputs USB3. He recorded the program to an AVI file (unencrypted) using his laptop. But you have to do it one saved show at a time, and it takes as long as the original show was to do that one file.

Mike
Old 02-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
https://www.playon.tv/

Allows you to download content to your computer. Then just transfer to a USB drive and plug it into your TV.
Wow, thank you so much! This is incredible. I just saw this thread yesterday and last night got PlayOn set up and downloading. Works exactly as described: download to thumb drive, stick into TV, good to go. I always blew off this "media server" business because I thought there was no legitimate (legal) way to get content onto them other than ripping and encoding your own stuff manually (no thanks). PlayOn makes it so much easier!

Now I just need to figure out how to get my new Media Library (yeah, I'm fancy now) to the various TVs in my rig. Thumb drive is great for now but maybe I want to get even fancier. Reading through the rest of the thread for suggestions.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #135

I have Dishnetwork, Prime Video, and Netflix. They all allow for downloading or transferring of content to a tablet or phone.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote