RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody subscribing to Discovery Plus?

The new streaming service, Discover + starts today. Thoughts?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
D20

My prediction is that it will not last 6 months.
D20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My wife has been watching Chip & Joanna Gaines' Fixer Upper program for a long time and really loves it. They have started their own network, The Magnolia Network, and it looks like it will only be on the Discovery + service. I guess we will have to pay the $6.99 per month to keep her happy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

I already have Dish, MotorTrend,and Amazon Prime.
I'm not going to subscribe to yet another streaming site.
They are slowly nickle and diming us.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #5

Verizon is offering it to me, free for 6 months.

No thanks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #6

I have a Netflix account, and so far, that's the only streaming service I pay for. As I see these other streaming services hit the market, I just see all the things I hated about satellite or cable packages being repeated. That is, paying for a package of programs that contains maybe 10% of stuff I want, and 90% of stuff I'll never spend 5 minutes of my life watching. As for the Discovery network, many, years, ago it was my refuge from every day TV. Over time, their content changed into what it is today, and as it changed, I watched fewer and fewer of their channels until it got to the point I stopped watching altogether. For man years, viewers wanted Satellite services to offer ala-carte shows so they didn't have to pay for stuff they didn't want, but the industry refused. The advent of streaming services promised to be: "The death of Cable" and while that may technically be true, the same bloated creature is rising from the ashes, except you buy it in pieces. By the time I subscribe for the shows I want, I'm are back to paying for a lot of stuff I don't.

If these services provide content you like for a good price, that's great, especially if you can get your favorite shows for under $10 a month. Discovery + doesn't offer me anything I want, so I won't be a customer, but that's just me.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

IMHO Discovery hasn't been 'Discovery' in a very long time. They are now primarily a reality TV channel, long gone is concentrating on nature, science, engineering shows etc. (History channel has gone to pot too).

If they went back to the Discovery Channel content of their 'youth', I would consider subscribing.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

I'm guessing Discovery+ will do just fine. They have a lot of the programming we like to watch, but I'm not sure I want to pay $7/mo for it. I suspect a lot of people will, though. I'm sort of a luddite when it comes to new stuff like these ala carte TV channels. I didn't get a CD player until they were obsolete. But, the wife likes to watch Chip and Joanne, so we may jump on the bandwagon.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
IMHO Discovery hasn't been 'Discovery' in a very long time. They are now primarily a reality TV channel, long gone is concentrating on nature, science, engineering shows etc. (History channel has gone to pot too).

If they went back to the Discovery Channel content of their 'youth', I would consider subscribing.
Discovery is catering to their viewers likes. Most watch 'reality' shows nowadays. It's like automobiles. Most buyers today want trucks and SUV's, so that is what is being built.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Discovery is catering to their viewers likes. Most watch 'reality' shows nowadays. It's like automobiles. Most buyers today want trucks and SUV's, so that is what is being built.
Agree, they are chasing the money. IMHO their names (Discovery, History, TLC) really don't reflect thier content anymore. Even Sci-Fi changed and moved away from science fiction, fake wrestling makes more money...
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:

Came here to say exactly this.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Member when TLC was actually The Learning Channel and not "My 800lb life"? Smh.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #13

Re: The changes in the programming.

It's a business, and as such the only way to stay viable is give the customer what it wants. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like reality TV and never have. There are some hugely popular shows that ran for 20 years that I never spent a total of 5 minutes watching, but that's me, I'm an outlier. I raised my daughter on the Discovery Channel of old, and The Learning Channel before it became TLC. I used to call her my Discovery Channel Girl. I used to joke that when other Dads were reading fairy tales to their kids at bedtime, my daughter wanted me to read the adventures of Jacques Cousteau. She looooved the Discovery and Learning channels and would watch them instead of cartoons. Yeah, she was an outlier too, still is.

I'm just not part of their target audience which is ok. You say Tomahto, I say Tomato. I grew up in a family that loved prime time TV, as an adult I don't. It's my quirk.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!

Tags
cover, discovery, scr