Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

Anyone tried using Home security camera system as backup camera before?

I've done some research on what wireless backup camera is good and haven't had much luck. Most of the reviews I've read said that the signal is poor. Then I got an idea about using the home security camera types as backup camera for my trailer instead. Here are some benefits that I see:

1) the signal is better than the vehicle types
2) I can have up to 4 cameras. I'm hoping to have 3; one for the rear of the TT, and 1 on each side for lane monitoring. Maybe one more for inside for monitoring over IP when we'Re away from the TT.

I see that Lorex has some that are wireless and seem to have good review. Although it's wireless, I will still need to run power to it but won't have to have a cable feed from TT to my truck.

Has anyone have any experience with installing something like this? Are there any issues I'm not seeing which would make this not feasible?

Thanks for your insight.

Eric
Victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can you reverse the picture so you don't get a mirror image (ie backwards) like you can with the RV ones?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my previous MH, I used a camera from Harbor Freight, about $29. @12 volt. I mounted it facing TOWARD the back of the MH aimed at a convex mirror from the auto parts store. I also used my front TV as the monitor. It worked great.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a six camera system in my home and the learning lesson began.
During the day the picture is great. However at night the IR lights on the camera don't really work too well. So if you are doing much at night you will need more lighting.

I discovered that bugs are really attracted to IR lights so at night it would sometimes appear like it was snowing. A cow farmer wrote in that he had to disable the IR lights and use external lights because of the bug problem.

Where there are bugs spiders quickly build webs. I discovered spiders are very determined creatures and rebuild webs at a rapid pace. My cameras were covered in webs after a few days.

The crowing blow was when my neighbor across the street had his car broken into. His video and mine both recorded the incident. However because of the poor lighting all we could tell was that the thief was driving a white Ford Ranger pickup. Both our cameras were kind of useless.

I returned my $400 system to the store after that.

So, yes, they do work during the day but not so well at night.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Eric:

Welcome to iRV2!

We use a six camera system like Arch, I think. It is an older system; analog. He is right about the difference in quality between the day- and night-time video modes. And the "falling snow effect" caused by bugs in the night hours. HOWEVER, we do like and use the system quite a bit (we wall-mounted a 7" monitor in the hallway next to the bedroom so we can quickly check out an unexpected noise or watch what is going on around each side of the coach without having to go to a window and open a shade).

To answer your question, since ours is an analog system, we simply installed a "T" in the video cable from the rear camera and ran the second feed from that camera to the in-dash OEM video monitor. Since we drive 99% of the time during the daylight, the system works clearly and reliably for us. The disadvantage is the reversed image, which takes a little getting used to. The advantage is that the driver can quickly/easily see what is going on with the Toad (and bikes and kayaks), regardless of whether it is on the left side or the right side of the Toad.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

Here's another idea if you have an iPhone/iPad. https://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/ The software is available as on the App Store and the camera at Amazon. Pretty much any wireless router will do. If you aren't technically inclined the folks at RVRearView sell a complete bundle ready to go.

Easy way to get power would be to tap into a running light up at the top of your back cap.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a GoPro camera. Waterproof, uses WiFi, and while it isn't perfect, it has worked well. I got the last one I bought at Costco before thanksgiving was less than $300, and a suction cup mount was bought at WalMart for a few bucks.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was hoping to use this while I'm on the road too so needing wifi won't work. The Rvrearviewcamera.com seems interesting and will look into it.
Victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The GoPro is the WAP as far as your phone or tablet is concerned. No internet connection needed.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Any chance.. this line of thought could be updated? pc

Tags
camera