Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone use T mobile hotspot pay as you go?

I was looking at these for use on the road. Comparing plans this might fit my needs. Att told me their cheapest hotspot plan was 50 a month with 5 gigs data and a 2 yr contract. Verizon told me the cheapest data plan for a phone was 104 with voice and data and 50 a month for just the data with a hotspot. Hotspot 50 bucks with 50 mail in rebate.....

back to t-mobile
I looked on the specs and it says the account for the 4g hotspot would deactivate after 364 days of inactivity.

I go to walmart and check prices and they wanted something like 130 for the 4g device plus they had this card for sale:
(Email Delivery) T-Mobile $35 Prepaid Mobile Broadband Pass: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

Back to house and call T-Mobile customer service.
Talk to girl and ask about the 60 day card from walmart. She puts me on hold and comes back with you have 60 days to activate the card after you buy it and then it's good for 30 days....
Walmart poster has 3.5 gb or 60 days written... That suggests I have 60 days to use the data until it expires as the sign says.
I said I thought all cards were good until you got a pin. or called to activate or went online and activate in order to start. No answer.
She asked what I wanted it for, to which I replied , mobile internet access when I am on the road which could be 3 or 4 months a year. She then tells me the sim card will expire in 90 days of no use... I mention the fine print that says 364 days.. she continued to insist it is 90 days and then you have to buy a new sim card.
I check the fine print for the sim card and it says the same thing with the 364 days before deactivation.

I call back and they put me on hold .. after 10 minutes I hung up.

I still have no idea if the 60 day use is a misprint on Walmarts part or if it's a deal that you have to buy the device from walmart..
If anyone knows please let me know.

I think the customer service rep was clueless and making things up with the 90 day and new sim card thing.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok I found the information on walmart's site. It states the 60 days of use is only good with a device purchased from walmart but will work for the 30 days with any t-mobile device purchased elsewhere.

The only thing I can find with the 90 day deactivation is with the phone cards that T mobile sells for the pay as you go service which I use also.

I decided to take a chance on the item anyway, and ordered one of the hotspots. Web order special for 99 dollars with a 25 dollar card good for a month or 1.5GB I'll continue to use campground wifi when avail. and use the hotspot to cover the blank spots... provided I can get on the tmobile network... but for 100 bucks I won't be out too much. I can always sell it off on ebay
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote