Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone using a Sprint/T-Mobile "Magic Box"?

I received a "Magic Box' with my Sprint internet plan through FMCA. It seems to have some impact on cells with marginal service. Has anyone experimented with a Magic Box for actual test results and service?

In case you never heard of a "Magic Box". here is a link on the device: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/magic-box.html

Thanks for any input.

LL
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I have two Sprint hotspots, but I never knew about the "Magic Box" you mentioned. When I went to the link it said to call them and see if I was eligible for a free "Magic Box". I am not sure if I need one though, I don't get a great signal here at my house but good enough, and often I get ~50Mbps download speeds. Is it supposed to be like an amplifier, I wasn't clear on the purpose even after reading about it on the link you shared. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I read further on the Sprint page (off of the link you shared) and from what I gather, if you are in a location that doesn't have great Sprint (/? T-Mobile) cell phone coverage that this device can use your existing and separate internet connection, to provide Sprint LTE coverage in the area your "Magic Box" is located. Unless I am reading it wrong, and in this case it doesn't seem very useful for my needs seeing how I get my internet from Sprint to start with. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have Sprint (now T Mobile) cell phone service. At our house I have marginal coverage. Talked to Sprint several times, they had me do updates, check settings etc, didn't solve my problem. Finally last year they offered to send me a "Magic Box".

In order for it to work I had to link it to my WiFi system, this is separate from Sprint.

The instructions said to locate it close to a window with minimal obstructions. I tried it in 3 locations and all of them had low signal strength. I got it to link to the WiFi and ultimately it completed setting itself up, took several attempts.

So now my Sprint Single shows more bars but my ability to make phone calls has not improved. I can sit on my front porch and talk without a problem. AS I walk into the house it gets iffy, if I walk into the kitchen the call will usually drop.

So do I have a Magic box>>>> Yes
Does it work >>>>> NO
Would I get it again >>> NO

My question is if it has to link to a good WiFi connection how will it improve you reception on a hotspot???

I talked to Sprint several times in the last couple months, in both cases they advised me to go to a T-Mobile store and have my SIM card changed, this would switch me to the T-Mobile coverage. They said it would be better. I did that today, when I got home I had 1 bar in the front yard, no better then Sprint. In fact I'm wondering if the T-Mobile sim is communicating with the Magic Box.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi..we are thinking about adding the wifi through FMCA...are you happy with it? Sorry to not have any input on the magic box but I'm just slow coming up the road..
mrcandml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcandml View Post
Hi..we are thinking about adding the wifi through FMCA...are you happy with it? Sorry to not have any input on the magic box but I'm just slow coming up the road..
There is a few threads about the FMCA/Sprint plan. So far most users are liking it. I haven't used mine enough to form a solid opinion about it but seems to working as advertised.

If you haven't totally read the info you might. https://www.fmca.com/index.php?optio...ctv2&view=home
Click the Learn More button and scroll through it. Gives you the info about it.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
There is a few threads about the FMCA/Sprint plan. So far most users are liking it. I haven't used mine enough to form a solid opinion about it but seems to working as advertised.

If you haven't totally read the info you might. https://www.fmca.com/index.php?optio...ctv2&view=home
Click the Learn More button and scroll through it. Gives you the info about it.
Thank you!!!!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
FMCA plan

We like the FMCA Sprint plan. The FMCA tech told us about the Magic Box and if my memory serves me correctly, we ordered it with a call to the FMCA Technician. We only experienced a few slow downs on the Sprint network and it was quickly attributed to a congested cell near West Memphis AR. We got rid of the Verizon plan we had through FMCA, because the plan ended and Verizon wouldn’t grandfather the old plan. Too little high speed data on Verizon anyway.
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had to call Sprint/T-mobile about another issue and decided to ask about the Magic Box and it's compatibiliity with T-Mobile.

This last week I had a T-mobile SIM card installed to replace the Sprint SIM. When I did it the tech at the store said they were "encouraging" people to swap from Sprint to T-mobile. He said that when enough people swap they will basically shut the Sprint service off forcing everyone to swap. No idea if this is true but this is what the T-mobile person said.

After I did the swap I noticed that I no longer got any additional bars on my phone and/or any better reception with the T-mobile SIM in place.

So when I asked about the Magic Box the customer service person checked and said NO the box would not work with T-mobile. OK, what do I do with the box >>>>> she said Throw it away I guess that tells you how good it is, they don't even want it back
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had to call Sprint/T-mobile about another issue and decided to ask about the Magic Box and it's compatibiliity with T-Mobile.

This last week I had a T-mobile SIM card installed to replace the Sprint SIM. When I did it the tech at the store said they were "encouraging" people to swap from Sprint to T-mobile. He said that when enough people swap they will basically shut the Sprint service off forcing everyone to swap. No idea if this is true but this is what the T-mobile person said.

After I did the swap I noticed that I no longer got any additional bars on my phone and/or any better reception with the T-mobile SIM in place.

So when I asked about the Magic Box the customer service person checked and said NO the box would not work with T-mobile. OK, what do I do with the box >>>>> she said Throw it away I guess that tells you how good it is, they don't even want it back
We have the Sprint sim card in the M2000 mifi and are wondering what the box actually did for you...is it worth getting?
Thanks