Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Yes, we have a WiFi hotspot/router in our trailer. When we have good internet we do lots of streaming with our Roku.
So clearly you have good Internet. Our problem is that we often camp in the middle of nowhere and have no Internet, so even a router would not help.

I am downloading movies to watch, and can watch them on the RV TV, but only when the iPad is wired to the TV. I have not been able to cast them to the TV wirelessly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2022, 12:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
So clearly you have good Internet. Our problem is that we often camp in the middle of nowhere and have no Internet, so even a router would not help.

I am downloading movies to watch, and can watch them on the RV TV, but only when the iPad is wired to the TV. I have not been able to cast them to the TV wirelessly.
If you connect your TV to an Apple TV, you'll be able to use Apple AirPlay between the Apple TV and an iPad or iPhone without an Internet connection.

See When You Can Use AirPlay without WiFi.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #17

ROKU on TV

You should be able to sling pics, movies, etc. On your iPad swipe down down from the top right corner and you should see an icon with double tv screens Select that. Now go to your ROKU remote and open the home page. In the HOME column scroll down to SETTINGS, then go to the SYSTEM column, then to ABOUT. Look down that column to SCREEN MIRRORING. Over to the right you can select devices and mode. Hopefully you will see your iPad. I hope this works for you. Works great at home on our ROKU for showing pics on the big screen. Good luck. MIKE T.
damonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:59 PM   #18

My DW and I are hard core streamers.. between Amazon Prime, Netflix, our Xfinity DVR etc we rely on internet a lot. We also use Chromecast in a 'unsupported' mode when we travel to feed our projector and inside TV.

Basically we both have Android phones with unlimited internet, so we turn one. Of them on as a Hotspot. We then join the Chromecast from the HOSTING phone to it's own Hotspot (both devices of course would know if the hotspot, the phone because it's hosting and the Chromecast because you have it as the only client)

Doing this allows the Hotspot phone to run any streaming app (Prime, Disney, Stream(Xfinity and DVR)) and cast it to the Chromecast. This allows the minimum bandwidth possible over wireless, as the Chromecast is using the hotspot to retrieve the stream.

We have pushed this down hard into "2bar" 4LTE sites we have had... And it also helps with sports blackout rules.. we just use a tape-delay rule so we are watching our XFinity DVR recording 30 minutes in the past via our Stream app.

Hit me DM if you have any specifics questions. By trade I do Data center Networking and security..
Old 09-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonflyer View Post
You should be able to sling pics, movies, etc. On your iPad swipe down down from the top right corner and you should see an icon with double tv screens Select that. Now go to your ROKU remote and open the home page. In the HOME column scroll down to SETTINGS, then go to the SYSTEM column, then to ABOUT. Look down that column to SCREEN MIRRORING. Over to the right you can select devices and mode. Hopefully you will see your iPad. I hope this works for you. Works great at home on our ROKU for showing pics on the big screen. Good luck. MIKE T.
That will allow me to mirror the iPad to the TV, but it will not allow me to play downloaded Amazon Prime movies on the iPad and have them display on the TV.

The Prime app detects that I am trying to cast the image to the TV and tells me that it will stream the movie instead of using the downloaded copy. Since I have no internet connection I can not stream it. The actual message that I get from the Prime app on the iPad is:

This download is unavailable to play through AirPlay. Do you want to stream it using your device's internet connection?

We are out camping in the middle of nowhere, and if I had a decent internet connection I would just stream the movie instead of downloading and trying to cast the downloaded version.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
My DW and I are hard core streamers.. between Amazon Prime, Netflix, our Xfinity DVR etc we rely on internet a lot. We also use Chromecast in a 'unsupported' mode when we travel to feed our projector and inside TV.

Basically we both have Android phones with unlimited internet, so we turn one. Of them on as a Hotspot. We then join the Chromecast from the HOSTING phone to it's own Hotspot (both devices of course would know if the hotspot, the phone because it's hosting and the Chromecast because you have it as the only client)

Doing this allows the Hotspot phone to run any streaming app (Prime, Disney, Stream(Xfinity and DVR)) and cast it to the Chromecast. This allows the minimum bandwidth possible over wireless, as the Chromecast is using the hotspot to retrieve the stream.

We have pushed this down hard into "2bar" 4LTE sites we have had... And it also helps with sports blackout rules.. we just use a tape-delay rule so we are watching our XFinity DVR recording 30 minutes in the past via our Stream app.

Hit me DM if you have any specifics questions. By trade I do Data center Networking and security..
Yes, I understand. But we don't generally have a decent internet connection so we can not stream the movies, and that is our problem.

I tried to get around this by downloading the movie when at home so that when we are camping we could watch it without an internet connection, but that does not seem to work wirelessly with the Amazon Prime Movie app. I can do it if I connect the iPad to the TV with an HDMI cable, but not wirelessly.

I have been told that the Prime Movie app will allow casting to both Chromecast and Amazon Fire devices wirelessly, but that the Chomecast requires a wireless network, so I guess I am out of options except either buy a Fire device or use a wired connection.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #21

Well, the Amazon Firestick came in this morning and I have spent the last hour trying to make it work, but no luck. Every time I try to cast using the Amazon Prime Video app it tells me the same thing as before - I can not send downloaded video to another device unless I stream it and, since I won't have the connection or the bandwidth to do that I can not wirelessly cast it. So I am back to using a wired connection.

It puzzles me why it is OK to stream from my device to the TV, but not OK for me to do the exact same thing with a download copy, but there it is. Oh. And the attempt using my old Android phone gave me the exact same result. It is the Amazon Prime Video app that is the issue, so I guess the Firestick goes back as this was the only reason I bought it.

Thanks for all of the information from the earlier posts. It was all worth a try, but nothing works now. At least for me.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #22

I use an old 4G hotspot (without internet) and set it up for INTRAnet within the RV. It takes a simple USB to power it up and then I can AirPlay from my iPhone, iPad, etc. to the TV’s AppleTV. Works great. All devices just need to be connected to the hotspot’s SSID. It also works with Amazon Fire and Roku.
Rlegoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #23

I use an old 4G hotspot (without internet) and set it up for INTRAnet within the RV. It takes a simple USB to power it up and then I can AirPlay from my iPhone, iPad, etc. to the TV’s AppleTV. Works great. All devices just need to be connected to the hotspot’s SSID. It also works with Amazon Fire and Roku.
Rlegoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #24

Apple/Mac

We had similar issues--our "router" is a third phone's hotspot; on all the time and so far (3 years now), works great. BUT when I switched to an Apple MacBook, iPad and iPhone, could not mirror or use on TVs. Actually have a Chromecast but never used it. After trying numerous "possibilities," I ended up buying the Apple box, a tiny little thing and now I have the option of using the Apple box OR the satellite and can use on one TV or all TVs. The Chromecast would have been on one TV only (at least that's my understanding). All are hooked up through the Wally. Everything works together flawlessly whether I am mirroring or watching direct. I do not believe it was very expensive but will say it was worth every penny for us! Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #25

Most smart phones have a hot-spot feature that you can turn on. This makes the phone a wifi-hotspot/router. You can even turn off cellular data if you want to make sure you are not using all your mobile data.

So what does that get you.....

Roku can talk to your mobile phone.
Ipad can talk to your mobile phone.
Then you can Airplay/cast anything to your tv.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use an AT&T Nighthawk Mobile for our hotspot and router. Then we use an Apple TV (one for each TV) to stream shows. I also use the Fitness app on the Apple TV for workouts. It’s a clean solution if you have a good data plan!
Old 09-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #27

My Samsung TV supports screen mirroring from my iPhone. You might try that.
wjijr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I want to play a movie on either my Mac or my iPad and have it display on the TV in the RV. I know I can do that by running an HDMI cable from the Apple device to the TV but I would like to do that without the cable. I am pretty sure that I can set up a router in the RV and use that local connection to send the movie signal to the TV but I don't want to buy a new router just for the RV and my old routers are probably too slow to handle the movie signal.

I understand that you can send a movie signal from an Android tablet to a TV wirelessly by using a Chromecast device but I am not sure that there is any way to do the same thing using a Mac or iPad, and I don't want to do internet streaming because we generally are not camping near a strong cell signal.

We have digital copies of some movies I have bought on our Apple devices, but can I send those signals to the TV in the LG TV in our RV wirelessly? If so, how? Will Chromecast work with an Apple device?

The alternative is probably to buy a cheap Android tablet and a Chromecast device but we already have enough devices around the house that I would rather not get another one just for this one thing.

Thanks for any help.

I skimmed through some replies and really didn’t see a direct answer to your question, so here it is:

YES, you absolutely CAN stream WIRELESSLY from your “Apple Device” to your TV; by using an AppleTV which is connected to any TV.

That will give your the best quality video and experience.

The technology is called AirPlay and is native to MacOS and iOS.

Done this for years…effortlessly.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv tv