Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If you connect your TV to an Apple TV, you'll be able to use Apple AirPlay between the Apple TV and an iPad or iPhone without an Internet connection.

See When You Can Use AirPlay without WiFi.
I tried this, but could not get it to work. My AppleTV and my iPad never saw each other when they restarted, so perhaps it requires the latest OS.

I am updating my iPad OS and will try again.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #44

Remember that both Apple TV and source have to be on same WiFi network.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
The blog is how to cast using AirPlay without a wifi network.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #46

Well, I could not get it to work.

I updated the OS on the iPad and followed the instruction. I turned off the wifi on both devices, make sure bluetooth was on and rebooted both. I paired the iPad with the AppleTV device but never saw any mirroring or casting. When I played the movie and tried to connect to the AppleTV I got the same message about streaming the movie instead of playing the downloaded version.

I suspect it is time to give up and just use the HDMI cable.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #47

Apple device to RV TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Well, I could not get it to work.

I updated the OS on the iPad and followed the instruction. I turned off the wifi on both devices, make sure bluetooth was on and rebooted both. I paired the iPad with the AppleTV device but never saw any mirroring or casting. When I played the movie and tried to connect to the AppleTV I got the same message about streaming the movie instead of playing the downloaded version.

I suspect it is time to give up and just use the HDMI cable.

At home, I pull up the movie or video I want to play. Then, on my iPad or my iPhone either one, I pull down from the upper right hand corner, the menu. On it is the option to mirror to the Apple TV or in my case, it shows the option to mirror to my Samsung tv. Don’t know whether this will help or not, but works for me. Works the same in my camper, because it’s a Samsung smart tv also.

You may have to expand to full screen, from the menu options.
Tool958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #48

Quote:
This sounds like what we need, but I do have a question. Once you have downloaded these videos onto your iPad how do you play them? Is there an iPad app that you use? Or do you have to log back onto the internet and use your browser? Or something else? If you need internet access to play the downloaded videos then this will not work for us when boondocking.
You would play the videos back in their source application. If you download a Netflix application, you would play them back via Netflix.

Quote:
I also have one of those, which I bought thinking that I could use the Amazon Prime Video app to wirelessly cast video to it. One of the responses I saw on the net said that the app would allow wireless casting with the Firestick, but if it ever did allow that, it does not now, and I was planning on returning it to Amazon. Perhaps I should keep it to use for casting other videos.
I found that the FireStick does not allow AirPlay or Casting directly. You have to download an app for AirPlay within the FireStick app.

I hope that this helps.
Frank_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
If you use a travel router like I suggested, then both devices are on the same wifi network.
Frank_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #50

Quote:
The blog is how to cast using AirPlay without a wifi network.
Mike,

I can see you're getting frustrated by all the input and discussion without resolution. I can help you.

First, you've fallen into a VERY COMMON misunderstanding about a "network" vs. an "internet connection".

Sadly, I've made videos (rv squared) about this topic, but they're not allowed on this forum because YouTube is considered self-promotion, if I post it.

Soooo....now I have to try this in text format...briefly!! ugh

An RV MUST HAVE IT'S OWN WIRELESS NETWORK, created by a wireless router. Forget about whatever "internet" service is plugged into that router; whether a SIM card, ethernet, cable, or wifi hotspot!

So, this "network" is given a name, also called "SSID", or the "AP NETWORK NAME"; for example, "MyCoach", "BeachHome", etc.

EVERY...and I mean EVERY WIRELESS DEVICE that is in your home or, in this case RV, should be wirelessly connected to THAT NETWORK'S SSID in order to communicate to each other.

It DOES NOT matter whether or not there is an internet connection coming into the router. But these devices CANNOT use AIRPLAY in order to "Mirror" (which is streaming from device to TV) content.

So, the last component is your CONTENT. As I stated above, the new generations of APPLETV units cannot STORE the content; they must actively pull it down from the Apple or Provider's servers. THEREFORE, you need to access these services using a device THAT CAN store/download the content.

This is where using your iPhone, iPad, or Mac comes into play. While THAT device is connected to the internet, the content needs to be DOWNLOADED from any service which allows that to be done. Again, I mentioned them above.

Once the content is resident on your DEVICE, you can then "PULL THE PLUG" on your internet source and hit the road. You will then wirelessly stream the content from your Apple device TO THE APPLETV USING AIRPLAY, which is access by the Airplay symbol, or the Control Center's MIRROR function.

This WILL work! I've done it for years, and set this up for many others.

If you need the specific Apple Tech Support document, here it is for your reference:
https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/s...bf2be9ef7/tvos

Steve, aka Capt. Gizmo
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_SD View Post
If you use a travel router like I suggested, then both devices are on the same wifi network.
where does your router get its internet from? Are you using a puck..or phone hotspot?
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar nut View Post
where does your router get its internet from? Are you using a puck..or phone hotspot?
i think it's clicking ..sorry for this past post..pulling content from a source not streaming..no need for internet
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv tv