Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Apple TV and Apple Express

Just wondering how many RV's us Apple TV and Airport Express to stream your saved movies on your external hard drives, while travelling?.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

I use an ATV to stream content as long as I have a decent wifi connection. Works great. With the later version of ATV you can stream content from stored on your laptop or iOS device without needing an Internet connection.
How are you using the ATV and express? Is your HD connected to the Express?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

I had an Apple TV, but sold it. Amazon Fire TV with voice command is much easier to use IMO.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

I use an AppleTV along with Amazon Fire TV. I'll take the former -- there are more options with iTunes.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also use Apple TV. Works like a charm!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
We use Netflix with a VPN with good wifi or our own hotspot. Should I consider APV?

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From Apple TV you can access Netflix and many other apps. If you purchase music, TV shows, or movies on iTunes you can also access that. It all takes really good wifi and uses lots of data! We download everything to an iPhone before we leave home and play from it at the campsite. You can steam the shows from the iPhone to the Apple TV with no wifi connection if you like, and you can also share your photos on the TV rather than the small iPhone screen.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the OP is asking about streaming videos from a local hard drive using the apple hardware described, not from an internet source.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Before we left for AZ last year, I downloaded movies from Amazon & Netflix. When I tried to access them, I got a message saying I needed wi-fi. Any advice? Thank you.
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #10

Apple TV and Apple Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnDawn View Post
Before we left for AZ last year, I downloaded movies from Amazon & Netflix. When I tried to access them, I got a message saying I needed wi-fi. Any advice? Thank you.

Need more info on your hardware configuration.
Where did you download the content to? Hard drive? If so, what is the hard drive connected to?
I believe Netflix is a streaming only service, meaning you don't physically download anything. It all streams from the Internet.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

Apple airport express works as your WiFi. When I watch my movies from my hard drive through my computer, the movies are streamed through Apple TV. The movies are not as good as using a DVD player as they can skip a Fram or two of a movie, but overall I like the system as I can have my entire library of movies on a trip in one little hard drive. I hope this is an adequate explanation. I'm not a computer wiz.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We plug our ATV into our RV flat screen and connect to the WiFi Ranger as our internal router. Now all the devices 'in house' connect to the wifiranger. We watch from shared videos on our MacBook, and can airplay from iPads/ipods/iphones too. It's worked great for us.
will invest in ATV4 for the house soon, and then the ATV3 stays in the RV permanently
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello all,

Do you need to have internet access to use the ATV to stream movies from your laptop or iPad/iPhones?

I am looking for a way to play all my movies that I have stored on a external drive. I thought I would just have to connect my MBP or iPad to the TV with a HDMI connection.

Thanks for the input!
ClarkGriswol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #14

Yup, that's what it was. I'm learning more about how to do this. We're gonna make it easy on ourselves--waiting for a new stereo unit that we can play dvd's from that will connect directly to the TV. Hoping that the radio reception will be better too--a person can only listen to so much static. And we know all the ads by heart on KBUX in Quartzsite!
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote