Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AT&T Reneges on Unlimited Data Plan

I have been with AT&T since 1988 and have had a data card with them since around 2000. In 2004 I changed to a USB 3G Data device and signed up for the Unlimited Data @ $80.00 per month. Over the weekend I received a form letter via e-mail stating "High Usage Data Alert for ###-###-####". The letter stated that I had been changed to the 5gb plan and I was approaching the limit. I checked online and we had used 3.6gb so far this billing cycle and the account stated I had the 5gb plan.

I had gone through this same hassle back in 2008 or 2009 and they switched me back to the Unlimited Data. My usage since then has not been close to the 5gb plan so I guess our usage had not triggered their warning before. After spending over an hour on the phone speaking to various levels of supervisors I was told they would not reinstate my Unlimited Plan. When I ask for a refund of the difference in the $80.00 I was paying and the $60.00 for the 5gb plan for the past x months I was told that would not be done.

I am still waiting on the next level of supervisor to call me back.....

Any others have this problem and if so what was your outcome.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I have exactly the same problem and got that e-mail a week ago. I'm in about the same place you are....

Interestingly (and sadly) there are many months each year when I use NO data at all (only use card when traveling). Averaged over time, my unlimited data plan has been extremely expensive per kb used. Unfortunately I haven't found anything better out there... still looking and mighty torqued. In my estimation ATT are corporate thieves; this is classic bait and switch.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Verizon 4G, 5GB plan is only $50 a month.

AT&T was still advertising on television yesterday that the still offered the only truly unlimited plan or was that sprint, I don't believe most of the anyway.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Sprint does have truly unlimited data. They are who I have and although the coverage isn't quite as good as others is some areas, where I live and travel sprint is the best or at least as good.
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

AT&T has been having all sorts of similar problems. The 'excessive usage' alert gets triggered by some secret algorithm that AT&T will not discuss, but it has something to do with average use in a given area so it can be and is different for different users/times/places. They have already gotten sued for this at least once and lost, looks like they haven't learned a lesson. Perhaps a huge fine might help then understand what a contract is.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Sounds like a politician. They were for the unlimited plan before they were against them. LOL

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Verizon has a 10Gb plan for $80, or the 5GB for $50.

The problem with the other unlimited plans is they "Throttle" your connection after 5 GB. It's becomes so slow its unuseable.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My unlimited plan has never been throttled, but I know they are now doing that.

I am also aware of the fellow in California that won his case for $850 in a small claims court for the throttling issue, but that case is now in appeal.

I have been on the phone with AT&T for over an hour today and awaiting a call back from another supervisor. So far they have offered me a $250.00 credit to my account and will switch me to their $60/5GB plan which I am sure is to compete with Verizon. I have looked at Verizon's plans and that may be the way I go, but I really want to stay with AT&T. I still have a grandfathered "Unlimited" plan on my iPhone but I don't use it much more than 1-2gb per month so no threats from them so far!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Sounds like a politician. They were for the unlimited plan before they were against them. LOL
Oh it gets better than that. When they killed the original unlimited data plan for smartphones and replaced it with a 2 gb plan they said 'no problem, 95% of users use less than 2gb per month.' Then they changed the 2 gb plan to 3b and charged $5 more per month... right after saying that 95% of users use less than 2gb per month, essentially meaning that even though 95% of users don't need it they all have to pay an extra $5 a month. Also no tiers now for SMS (text message), you either pay an extra $20/month for unlimited or an outrageous per-message rate. And they explained this all as being 'for the customer' dontcha' know...

I'm on AT&T because my employer pays, otherwise I wouldn't touch those sleazes with a 10' pole. I'm very glad they weren't allowed to buy T-Mobile.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Texnet. I thought you were referring to the iPhone plan, but I guess you weren't. What have you heard about the unlimited iPhone plan. I also thought the law suit involved the iPhone plan. I'm confused( easily done ).

Cliff

Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Sprint does have truly unlimited data.
Sprint does have unlimited data for smart phones, except if you are using the phone as a hot spot there is a 5GB limit. This change was made about six months ago. Sprint aircard data plans include 5GB, and if you have an older card with an unlimited plan that gives up the ghost and needs replaced, the unlimited data does not go with the replacement. It reverts to 5GB.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Texnet. I thought you were referring to the iPhone plan, but I guess you weren't. What have you heard about the unlimited iPhone plan. I also thought the law suit involved the iPhone plan. I'm confused( easily done ).

Cliff
The lawsuit was for the iPhone data, but data is data so if they lose the appeal it opens up the road for all data plans with AT&T.

My problem is with the data on my USB card, NOT the iPhone. My bill still states I have unlimited on the iPhone, but I don't have a high data usage as most of the time I am near my Cradlepoint that has the AT&T card attached.

I just got off the phone with the AT&T Rep that offered me $250 credit and a switch to the $60 5gb plan but I asked to put that on hold and send me up the chain one more step.

At this point my thoughts are to take the $250 credit, then just after it is issued and used drop the data card service and go to Verizon for the 5gb plan and pay the $10/gb overage plan if I use more than 5gb. Most months I will not get close to 5gb, but I will save $10 over AT&T. That $10 savings per month will pay for the few months that I do go over 5gb

Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Sprint does have unlimited data for smart phones, except if you are using the phone as a hot spot there is a 5GB limit. This change was made about six months ago. Sprint aircard data plans include 5GB, and if you have an older card with an unlimited plan that gives up the ghost and needs replaced, the unlimited data does not go with the replacement. It reverts to 5GB.
The hotspot limit doesn't apply if you know how to get around it. (not abuse it though)
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote